Feeding an 8 week old Pug Puppy
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Feeding an 8 week old Pug Puppy

Joe786 is offline Village Puppy

Default Feeding an 8 week old Pug Puppy

Hi,

We took our puppy home yesterday and were given some tips on feeding, but I was wondering what types of food my puppy should be getting?

As he was growing he was fed canned food, which we are attempting to wean him off of. We've changed the canned food to Pedigree Puppy, and have added in more and more biscuit food which we was told is better.

He is a very big built puppy (not fat, just big!) and we serve 4 meals a day, which takes up one 400g can and maybe a bit more. We only add in a handful of biscuits at a time. Our feeding times ate 7:30am, 11:30am, 3:15pm and 7:pm.

I would love some tips and opinions on what to do, as I want the best for him! He seems happy and bounceful and loves to play nearly 24/7 lol.

Thank you!

Also, are there any other foods which we can give him? I see people give carrots etc... but is this okay to give to a pup of his age?

Georgia Pug is offline Village Heart of Gold

Hi there Joe. I probably should let someone from England answer this because I know nothing of the food you have there. What is biscuit food? I can tell you that a lot of pugs have allergies so most people feed grain free food. There are probably a hundred different ways to feed, it depends on what your puppy likes that is good for him. Yes lots of people give carrots for treats and green beans. Mine love a bite of banana. What I would recommend is to use the search button at the top and search all the food posts (there will be a lot) and just read and come up with something that is feasible
    for you and your puppy. That will get you familiar with all the different ways. There is a mod on here Rosiepug, that could probably help you too. If you need more help, just ask. Welcome to Pug Village, we are glad to have you!

The Georgia Pugs
    If You Can't Say Anything Nice,
    Just Don't Say Anything.

Hi and thanks for the welcome! :)

This is the biscuity food we've been adding ( Pets at Home Complete Puppy Food with Chicken 2.5kg and 10kg | Pets at Home )

The guy in the pet store did say it's very nutritious, and we've been putting more and more in his food to wean him off a commercial tin food.
    What we did with the tinned food, was change them to a better brand so hopefully he'll still be getting more out the tinned food for a while.

He enjoys the biscuit food, but goes to eat it on and off. I think he finds chewing it a bit hard, but i'm guessing that's only because it's all new to him?

Thank you for the suggestions, i'll definitely have a look around for some more info on other foods :)

518dark-rose is offline Village Admiral

Just wanted to say welcome :)

I think by biscuit food, you mean dry dog food hehe.

I will be feeding Scooby Iams puppy food when I bring him home as this is what the breeder reccomended and what he is being fed on at the minute, however I think I'm going to change him to a better puppy food once he is properly settled.

Usually you can tell from the ingredients list on the back, there's also a link that someone posted on here before where you can read up on lots of the different dog foods and it gives you the pros and cons of each one.

I can't remember the link, sorry, but sure someone on here will know which one I mean!

x
    Last edited by 518dark-rose; 07-06-2010 at 10:39 AM.

Ti Amore Scooby Snack - 13/04/10

518dark-rose is offline Village Admiral

I don't think this is the same one I was thinking of but it seems similar: Dog Food Comparison, Ratings, Reviews - In-Depth Guide to the Best Dog Food x

Ti Amore Scooby Snack - 13/04/10

That's the one, haha :P

Cheers for the info, I think i'll get him onto the Pets at Home one for a bit, and maybe change him onto a better food after.

I did skim through the ingredients of the original food y/day, and it contains 81% moisture! That is terrible! The Pedigree seems to contain a lot more nutrients and food with a very small percent moisture. :)

Going to check out that link now, thanks!

Snifter is offline Moderator/Village Merchant

Hello and welcome.

I personally like James Wellbeloved which comes as dry kibble and also pouches of wet food. You can feed the wet food as a complete diet or use it as a topping. There's a few ingredients listed on the Pets at Home food that I am not sure about just in terms of exactly what they mean e.g. poultry meat meal, animal fat, poultry digest.

However it is best not to do too much chopping and changing in the early weeks just to give pup a chance to settle in without a whole lot of dietary change to cope with as well. So even if you ultimately move onto another food I would not do so right now.

You might be giving him a bit much of the dry food. A "handful" could be quite big depending on the size of your hand! Try weighing out the recommended daily amount and then dividing that into 4 portions. I would be surprised if each was a handful. Also you are feeding canned as well, and the recommended allowance on the dry food bag is for feeding purely dry.

As an example, my older pug, who is quite big for a pug, now as an adult gets 3 dessert spoons kibble in the morning and 4 in the evening (which equates to about 120g dry food per day) plus a bit of topping either from the wet food pouch or some goats milk yogurt.

It is easy to feed a bit too much, and the pup will definitely show preference for the wet food over the dry if he is getting more than enough to eat.
    emilina likes this.

Bella, mummy to Snifter and Toddy!

http://avrilmunson.wordpress.com

Rosiepug is offline Moderator et Village Parisienne

Welcome Joe! If you can afford to spend more on food... James wellbeloved and Arden Grange are premium foods meaning the best quality in dry and tinned food. There are very good Raw ranges but I would wait until the pup is full grown before offering that. Iams and Royal canin are good quality medium range. Pedigree and Hills despite being sold at vets is not great quality food. We all try to do the best we can and feed the best we can afford. Four meals a day is correct until your pup is 12 weeks when you will feed larger amounts three times daily. For training treats I personally like coachies because they are natural.
    www.parischiennepugs.com

]acqueline et
    Les Parischiennes,
    L'Impératrice Rosephine de Bonaparte
    La Marquise Halcyone de Pompadour

PUDDING @ 9 wks
    CRUFTS QUALIFIED 2010

Mademoiselle Amaryllis qui m'attende au pont d'arc 27.3.99-14.11.06

Thank you both for the tips, I think i'm going to give James Wellbeloved a go next time i'm at the pet store. The price isn't bad either.

Unfortunately we went to the vets for Henry's first Jab and Microchip today, so before reading here I picked up a bag of Science Plan. He loves it though! Not sure whether to finish the bag of Science then try Wellbeloved, or just try him on wellbeloved asap. I don't want to change his food around much more.

A bit off-topic, but the vets was horrible! lol, Henry didn't make a sound throughout, but got overheated and tired :(. He was very sleepy for a while after actually. Still, he's apparently fine which is always good to hear, and he's back to his normal self now

Pinkles is offline Village Senator

Hi & welcome, just mentioning this because I didn't read it in any of the above posts. It's advisable to wean puppies (and dogs for that matter) onto new food slowly by mixing it together with their current food and adding more of the food you are switching too every couple of days, they can get quite ill with sudden changes in food.
    I'm surprised your breeder didn't tell you this (sorry if it is a post somewhere and I missed it)

As you have already switched his canned and his kibble in just a few days I would hold off switching to the Wellbeloved and when you do, do it gradually by mixing it in with the Science Plan, the last thing you want is a young puppy with diarrhea

I feed mine Iams and they have a special treat a couple of times a week they share a pouch on top.

Good luck and pics please!! We need pics!

PS Oh also please be careful of the pedigree, I'm not a fan myself, it made my Yorkie very ill a few years ago, never touched it since. The vet advised me against using it.
    Last edited by Pinkles; 07-06-2010 at 05:42 PM.
    ....... Maisie ............... Squig................. Pickle .............. Henry
    .(at Rainbow Bridge)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast