Can I feed my almost 12 week old pug puppy 2 times a day?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can I feed my almost 12 week old pug puppy 2 times a day?

Latlaw is offline Village Puppy

Question Can I feed my almost 12 week old pug puppy 2 times a day?

Because of my schedule, I am finding it difficult to feed Chloe 3 meals a day. My dogs eat at 5:00 a.m. and around 5:00 p.m. I get home from work at 2:00 p.m. so it's really too close to the evening meal to feed her then. She will be 12 weeks this Thursday. Can I cut the 3rd meal now? Of course I would add more food to breakfast and dinner.
    Lisa owned by Pugs Louie and Chloe and Boston Terriers Cassie, Harley, and Molly

jj-1962 is offline Village Mayor

I also am starting from today to feed Elsa twice aday due to work/circumstances... she's 15wks (16 on Thurs). I don't think its ideal but if needs must then they must!
    I was going to feed her as close to getting home (around 3.30) as possible and in the mornings its around 6.15am.

I'd like to hear if there are any health reasons this shouldn't be happening... I know alot of vets/animal welfare etc. don't agree with the once a day feeding schedules (which I remember my parents doing in the 70s with our dog!) All my other pets are fed twice daily.
    JJ and of course Elsa

Rosiepug is offline Moderator et Village Parisienne

I have two 10 week olds and will be cutting back from 4 meals a day when they are 12 weeks.

One reason that it's not beneficial to the puppy to feed only twice, is because Toy puppies have a higher metabolic rate than large breed puppies and their stomachs are tiny so it can't take in enough food in just two meals. Normally you feed a young puppy until it stops eating within a 15 minute time frame of putting the bowl down, do this 3 or 4 times a day. When they are 12 weeks you can cut down to 3 meals a day and at 6 to 8 months two meals a day. What many people do with pugs is change from puppy food to Adult food around 5 or 6 months old so they don't get overweight.

I think the only way you can get around this, is to put a double helping down when you leave, so it can get it's own lunch when hungry.

Is there no one who can come in and play with the puppy for an hour during the day and give it a meal??
    Last edited by Rosiepug; 11-08-2010 at 03:27 AM.
    www.parischiennepugs.com

]acqueline et
    Les Parischiennes,
    L'Impératrice Rosephine de Bonaparte
    La Marquise Halcyone de Pompadour

PUDDING @ 9 wks
    CRUFTS QUALIFIED 2010

Mademoiselle Amaryllis qui m'attende au pont d'arc 27.3.99-14.11.06

Elsa managed her breakfast this morning ( over the last week I have been increasing the two main meals and decreasing the lunch amount so its not a huge change)
    JJ and of course Elsa

Latlaw is offline Village Puppy

I think that Elsa would be old enough for 2 meals a day. Chloe will be 12 weeks this Thursday so of course I worry she's too young. What I did today was feed her a big meal this morning and when I got home at 2:00 today, I gave her a small kibble snack and then her dinner at 5:00. I can't just leave more food in the morning because she will eat until all is gone as soon as I put the bowl down. I believe she'd eat until she burst if she could. ;-)
    Lisa owned by Pugs Louie and Chloe and Boston Terriers Cassie, Harley, and Molly

GotPugs is offline Village Senator

A 12 week old puppy still should be at 3-4 times a day. Going that long without food can cause low blood sugar issues in young pugs.
    Last edited by GotPugs; 11-09-2010 at 03:26 AM.

Elsa has treats throughout the day in the way of training, each time she goes outside to the toilet, abit of 'sit, stay, down' training and on walks for doing the right thing. So she doesn't go without food between meals - just not a 'sit down at the table' meal lol!
    JJ and of course Elsa

Rosiepug is offline Moderator et Village Parisienne

Quote Originally Posted by Latlaw View Post
    I can't just leave more food in the morning because she will eat until all is gone as soon as I put the bowl down. I believe she'd eat until she burst if she could. ;-)
    You're giving a clue there that the puppy's hungry! She should be eating until she's full and stops naturally. They don't over eat at this age. They can eat an emourmous amount at one meal, then less at the next.

I was thinking of this thread yesterday when offering my two their third meal at 2pm. They were ravenous. I can't imagine pups this age only getting food twice a day. Going without for 8 to 12 hours is too long. Even if you let your puppy eat it's fill in the morning, it would still need another meal four or five hours later.

My best advice is to try to get someone to stop by mid morning and give a meal and a kong to entertain it'self until you get home.
    www.parischiennepugs.com

]acqueline et
    Les Parischiennes,
    L'Impératrice Rosephine de Bonaparte
    La Marquise Halcyone de Pompadour

PUDDING @ 9 wks
    CRUFTS QUALIFIED 2010

Mademoiselle Amaryllis qui m'attende au pont d'arc 27.3.99-14.11.06

Snifter is offline Moderator/Village Merchant

Can you not feed her immediately before you leave in the morning, as soon as you get home at night and then again in the evening before you go to bed rather than sticking to the 5pm/5am schedule?

Bella, mummy to Snifter and Toddy!

http://avrilmunson.wordpress.com

shaynapug is offline Village Royalty

When I have pups.......I get them to 3 meals by 8 wks old. I feed at 6 AM.....when I'm working......leave some dry for them to munch on......and then feed when I get home at 4:30. I feed a last meal at 8PM.

If the pups are nice and chunky.....I do cut to 2 meals between 12wks old and 16 wks.
    Diane
    Shayna Pugs
    http://www.midmichiganpugclub.com
    Chairperson of PDCA Rescue Committee

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast