getting a picky pug to eat?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: getting a picky pug to eat?

thebeas is offline New to the Village

Default getting a picky pug to eat?

Our pug has been a picky eater since I can remember. What would you all recommend? Here is a list of foods we have tried and have had some success:
    Eagle pack holistic select
    Merrick
    Nutro
    The problem is that after a while he gets tired of the food. We always have to put other things in it to get him to eat. My wish is for him to eat his food without us having to put things in it.
    Any suggestions of foods that would work?
    *He also seems to be quite itchy, esp. around his belly/groin area.
    Thanks
    Nicole

MuShu Mom is offline Village Royalty

Well, if he is already on grain free food, see if he is allergice to the protein in it. Finally, thru trial and error, discovered my MuShu could not have beef, chicken or eggs. Her belly area would get red and itchy when she was reacting to some food. As for having to add other things to the food, when he gets bored, is actually maybe a good thing. We are supposed to rotate the proteins we give our puggies because if we feed them the same thing day after day, year after year, they will most likely become allergic to it and we wonder what in the world is going on because we hadn't changed the diet so why is it bothering them now? Some PV'rs have suggested adding some chicken broth (low sodium) to the food to entice them to eat. There are many on this site that feed raw. I eventually got my MuShu on raw. She was in heaven! And after I finally figured out the meats she was allergic to, her health and weight and skin are great! Do your research tho. There is a sticky on raw you can check out. Good luck! Keep up posted and welcome to Pug Village! You'll get a lot of great info and help here that most vets (not all) just don't seem to know!

Where is Woodbury? I went to elementary and junior high in Alexandria!

ON THE EIGHTH DAY, GOD CREATED PUGS !

Hopelessly "Pugged" ,

Cheri

thebeas is offline New to the Village

Thank you for all the info. Currently we are trying Wellness whitefish/sweet potato. I read alot about it and it seems like a great product. I wonder if it is okay to add a bit of the canned wellness to his food to make it more appealing.

KismetPuggies is offline Village VP

you can always add canned food to the kibble as long as there is nothing they are allergic to in the canned (if you know their allergies)...

In my experience (I have 5 pugs and both black females are EXTREMELY picky) a pug will not starve itself. When it is hungry, it *will* eat. Abby went five days of restricting herself to one meal a day (I feed a quarter cup three times a day) because she did not like the new food we put her on... now, after having been on it for almost two months.. she eats it just as fast as the other dogs do. I know it's nerve wracking when they won't eat, but they really won't starve themselves.

Best of luck to you!
    Kayte and Crew

Kismet Kennels, Exclusively Pugs

daijuk is offline Village Puppy

I agree. Our Rosie had a habit of going on hunger strikes after she was given human food. She'd go for days without eating, but would eventually give up and eat her kibble. We've moved on to a raw diet, but if you're not ready for that yet, you could try adding warm water to the kibble to make it into a mushy stew or mixing it with some lowfat, plain yogurt. Both options are good for them as the water will rehydrate the kibble and the yogurt adds probiotics. However, I do regret having forced her to eat kibble for all those years. Even if I wasn't ready for raw, I wish I would have at least switched them to a canned food which I'm sure they would enjoy more. The myth of kibble being good for their teeth kept me from doing that, unfortunately.

diesels.mom is offline Village VP

Diesel goes through phases of eating and not eating. Sometimes he'll wolf down as much food as possible but other times he'll only eat a couple of mouthfuls for the day. like Kayte said, a pug will not starve itself. My pugs eat EVO and do well on it - there's no way we're switching foods just to see what Diesel likes because it takes a big big toll on poor Boo.

Russ is offline Village Royalty

I don't know if the black pugs are picky or just learn how to manipulate us to get the tastiest stuff to eat :)

I gave up on not adding 'sprinkles' to Tilly's food. Currently it's about 1/8th of a slice of deli ham. Yeah...salt, other baddies, but it's tiny amount of ham. I'll get back to her chicken sprinkles when it's a bit warmer out (I bake big batches of skinless, boneless chicken thighs on the grill).

DixiesMom is offline Village Governor

Miss Dixie will snort and turn up her nose if I don't chop up a single slice of apple and sprinkle it on top of her food. Then sometimes I have to toss a tiny (training size) treat just to get her to put her little stubborn nose in the bowl to get her started. However, the flip side of this little manipulation is that for a year I fed her kibble instead of wet and she would never eat timely. So I'm willing to jump through a few hoops for her to keep her eating at 'meal time'.

Russ is offline Village Royalty

Quote Originally Posted by DixiesMom View Post
    Miss Dixie will snort and turn up her nose if I don't chop up a single slice of apple and sprinkle it on top of her food. Then sometimes I have to toss a tiny (training size) treat just to get her to put her little stubborn nose in the bowl to get her started. However, the flip side of this little manipulation is that for a year I fed her kibble instead of wet and she would never eat timely. So I'm willing to jump through a few hoops for her to keep her eating at 'meal time'.
    This sounds exactly like Mz Tilly and I. Hmmm did Mz Tilly and Miss Dixie plan this? I prep the meal without the sprinkles and put it down, Mz Tilly just looks at it and then at me, just stands there, until I open the fridge, then she either does a little happy dance or sits down waiting for her sprinkles.

MuShu Mom is offline Village Royalty

I think mixing canned with kibble is a great idea. If you don't want to go totally canned, or go raw yet, the more moist the food, the better.

ON THE EIGHTH DAY, GOD CREATED PUGS !

Hopelessly "Pugged" ,

Cheri

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast