How much puppy food should my 13 wk old pug be getting???
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How much puppy food should my 13 wk old pug be getting???

Beautifully_Chaotic is offline Village Governor

Default How much puppy food should my 13 wk old pug be getting???

Hi, I am curious if i am feeding little whiskey enough, i don't want him to get overweight either. He is 13 weeks old (born nov. 24th) I weighed him as best i could at home, stepping on the scale holding him and i come up with 7 lbs. I have been feeding him 1/4 cup of Nutra Max puppy chow (with enough water to cover it) 3 times a day. This is what his first owner said he should get but i think maybe he needs more than that. He also gets probably 5-10 puppy treats a day. Also how much water does he need? His first owner was just giving him tiny amounts at a time, because of potty training but im worried hes not getting enough of that either. Would love any advice on the food amounts, but I don't want to change his food right now other than to give the right amount.
    Lena ♥Whiskey's Mom♥

shaynapug is offline True Village Royalty

I let my pups eat as much as they want...I'd up it to 1/3 and see if he eats it all. If not...back down again. You have to keep upping it as he continues to grow. Young pups can eat more...then as an adult you back it down again if they're getting too fat!

I always leave water...except at night.
    Diane
    Shayna Pugs
    http://www.midmichiganpugclub.com
    Member of PDCA Rescue Committee

6 Beautiful Pugs is offline Village Caretaker of the Old & Broken

I judge feed by the appearance of the dog, not by what other people feed or what the bag says, however it's a bit harder to judge with pups, who should look a bit roly-poly until they're about 4-5 months old. Because the liver doesn't grow much throughout life puppies have "pot bellies" because their liver is large in proportion to their body, but by 4 months or so they have grown into their liver. If you run your hand along their side, you should be able to easily feel the ribs under a nice coat of fat. They should be growing well and have plenty of energy. If the ribs show, the pup is too thin, if the ribs are difficult to feel, too heavy.

Take care,
    Lisa
    In a gentle way, you can shake the world.

- Mohandas Gandhi

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

His ribs are easy to feel, but you cant see them, except for like the bottom of the ribs if he is stretched out, does that seem right or maybe a little thin?
    Lena ♥Whiskey's Mom♥

6 Beautiful Pugs is offline Village Caretaker of the Old & Broken

Probably about right, if you had a pic of him sleeping on his side it would be easier. Just remember that with a rapidly growing pup you will be increasing the feed frequently throughout this active growth phase. Then at about 5-6 months you will need to cut back again as growth slows.

As adults (over 6-8 months) it's better for a pug to be a little underweight than a little overweight, especially as they get older.

As pups, it's better for them to be a tiny bit pudgy than a little too thin.

Take care,
    Lisa
    In a gentle way, you can shake the world.

- Mohandas Gandhi

Maybe you can tell from the pic thread i posted, "showing off my baby whiskey" theres one of him on his side sleeping. He seems on the thin side for a puppy to me, but i have no experience with pug puppies.
    Lena ♥Whiskey's Mom♥

I've been watching him a little closer when i walk him and i can kinda see his ribs. I think im going to go ahead and up his food to 1/3 of a cup. According to the bag thats more appropriate for his weight. Thanks for the advice ladies :)
    Lena ♥Whiskey's Mom♥

RaisinThePug is offline Village Mayor

Our Raisin is 9 weeks now and she was 4.1 pounds at the vet a little over a week ago. The food she is on says 1 to 1 1/4 cups a day. I feed her 3 times a day, 1/3 of a cup each time. She usually eats all of her breakfast, but has some lunch left over when I add her dinner to it and there is still a little left at the end of the day. I will up the food when I see she starts eating it all before the next meal.

She has access to water at all times, except shortly before bed, so she has time to go out. She sleeps with us and she is doing very well at night so it's working good for us so far.

Whiskey always eats all his food, in like less than 2 minutes, I think he would eat all of it no matter how much i feed him lol. He is always sniffing around for people food too.
    Lena ♥Whiskey's Mom♥

RaisinThePug is offline Village Mayor

Raisin is pretty much the opposite. She eats best in the morning and then just kind of grazes on her food the rest of the day. At lunch I put the food in her bowl and she eats a bit, and when it's dinner time I find myself adding that last 1/3 of a cup to about half of her lunch. She's been this way from day one, so I guess that's just how she is. Every puppy is different!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast