What's the best food for pugs?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: What's the best food for pugs?

Clancaster23 is offline Village Puppy

Default What's the best food for pugs?

Wondering what food everyone feeds their pugs. We feed Iggy Eukanuba Small Breed Puppy food. We were told by our vet that it's a very good choice. Is there a better brand? Should we mix in a little soft food also and if so, what kind? He gets only dog food three times a day and a treat if he does his business outside.

pugtown is offline Village Admiral

Try this site out. Best Puppy Foods There are many many articles in the library regarding dog food ingredients, dog nutrition, dog food industry, etc. I don't have puppies, but I use food rated for "all life stages". Currently I feed Amicus, Natures Variety Instinct kibble and raw, Primal raw, Brothers and Epigen, and Natures Select Grain Free.

Pugs-R-MandyBait is offline Village Royalty

There are many, many better foods than Eukanuba
    Look for foods with little to no grain, and a single protein. The Pug breed tends to have allergies to grains and many common proteins.
    Lisa, 6beautifulpugs, has a link to dog food reviews that is just tremendous.
    I use Diamond naturals (no corn, soy, wheat) on my Doxies and they are doing so much better than they were on Nutro
    Anne

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2050/2197629331_a45c4c5a9f_t.jpg ... & Mandy - The alleged Vicious Beast)

Dynamic Adventures of the DappleDuo

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should just relax and get used to the idea.
    -Robert A. Heinlein

Wally 'n' Leto is offline Pugzu Guru

JenniferJuniper likes this.
    Heather, Mommy to skinkid Toby and furkids Sir Wally of Pugzu and Duke Leto Prancypants the Fragrant.

Also Mom to Just Dakota the Canadian X and Auntie to Radar the Paint; Seed Shoveler Extraordinaire to rescue budgies Spud, Minty, and Wendy.

Main squeeze of high school sweetie Scot.

Pugpillow is offline Village Royalty

This is the first time I have ever heard Eukanuba described as a good choice.Be aware that that most vets have VERY little knowledge about good nutrition for pets. You'll get much better advice from many posters here who, I'm assuming, have done more research than your vet. Do a search of older posts on this forum.

I can't recommend any kibbles (I'm not a fan) or even canned food as I feed raw.
    "You cannot afford to subject your animals, or your children, to medical interventions that you do not understand. The belief system upon which the conventional medical model is founded is so faulty, so corrupt and so dangerous that you simply cannot afford to follow blindly." Catherine O’Driscoll http://www.whale.to/vaccine/driscoll1.html

Hilary & the Pugpillow Gang: Rescues: Denver (10), Tina (7), Murdoch (5) and chihuahua puppy Maximus Spartacus. Always loving my angel-girl Mei-Ling (1994-2009), my cutie-patootie Kim-Soo (1995-2010), my precious Daisy-Bo (1998?-2006), my sweet boyfriend Jake (1997-2010), my little black beauty Betsy (1995-2010), my sweet old grumpy man Gooey (1996-2011), and my sweet gentleman Farnsworth (1998-2012) at the Bridge.

Quote Originally Posted by Wally 'n' Leto View Post
    Some of the info on DogFoodAnalysis is really old I've noticed. The ingredient lists are different than what is on the websites of the food itself.

Wally 'n' Leto is offline Pugzu Guru

Good to know!! Thanks!
    Heather, Mommy to skinkid Toby and furkids Sir Wally of Pugzu and Duke Leto Prancypants the Fragrant.

Also Mom to Just Dakota the Canadian X and Auntie to Radar the Paint; Seed Shoveler Extraordinaire to rescue budgies Spud, Minty, and Wendy.

Main squeeze of high school sweetie Scot.

crazydaisy is offline Village Puppy

I had my bulldog on science diet and he hated it and was always biting his feet, itching ect. Once we got the pug I wanted them both on the same food, but one on puppy formula of course. I have them both on Blue Buffalo and they both love it. The bulldog, Roy seems happier and more energetic. Naturally this stuff is really expensive but I think I will be staying with it.

However, Dr. Becker, knowing the biological needs of her pets, feeds her dogs and cats a raw, primarily meat diet. Here’s what she says about grains (the primary ingredient in Natural Balance Vegetarian) “Grains are not a natural part of a wild dog or cat’s diet. Dogs and cats do not have dietary requirements for complex carbohydrates…. So what if I feed grains? Some pets handle the unnatural carbo-loading amazingly well. They get by with few side effects of consuming a disproportionate amount of carbohydrates. However, many dogs and cats do begin to have a problem with a grain-based diet. Grains foster an inflammatory response, which exacecerbates chronic skin problems, allergies, degenerative joint disease and gastrointestinal problems (Inflammatory Bowel Disease, chronic diarrhea, mucus stools, vomiting and excessive smelly gas, to name a few). It creates an alkaline urine pH which fosters urinary tract infections, crystals and bladder stones. We know that cancer feeds off carbohydrates so pets with cancer should consume little to no grains. Grains overwork the pancreas, making it difficult to produce enough digestive enzymes (amylase), which can lead to pancreatitis.” NATURAL PET ANIMAL HOSPITAL

An interesting post from another site I wanted to share.

Smart Pugs is offline Village Senator

Thanks for the post 'pugtown'!!

We are so pleased we have changed our dogs on to raw! The only one who we haven't 100% changed is Kirby (one of our Chihuahuas) he
    has IBS/pancreatitis so we are reading lots and slowly introducing raw in his diet, we are really hoping it'll work for him and get him back into 'good condition'

Smartie, Audrey, Noah
    and Chihuahua siblings: Kirby, Shadow, Zeta and Fizzy Dave

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast