Are bully sticks supposed to smell this bad?? - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Are bully sticks supposed to smell this bad??

Lola's Mum is offline Village Governor

Thanks CSollers - like I said, I will try antlers or marrow bones when Lola's a bit bigger and older! She has other chewing options that she likes at least.

I don't think I'm interested in bully sticks at all, now that I know what they are. The one I bought her will be going in the trash this evening!
    I'm Caryn, from Charlotte, NC...

My pug, Lola, is 7 months old :) Follow Lola on Facebook!

Spud is offline Village Governor

that is gross. Me and my mother went to a pet store yesterday and she was looking at one for her dog. Now that I know what it was I'll have to give her a call and let her know what she had in her hands.
    Lola's Mum likes this.

AMC7181 is offline Village Governor

Quote Originally Posted by CSollers View Post
    I've read that the odor free bully sticks are treated with some nasty chemicals to kill the smell. We have found raw marrow bones and antlers to fulfill our Pugs' chewing needs.
    I've read that, too. So if you can't stand the smell of the "regular" ones, try antlers or something else. But don't go with the odor free bully sticks, for sure.

Cheryl7777 is offline Village Admiral

I feed my 3 bully sticks all the time. I have always been aware of what they are. I get them from a website called bestbullysticks.com and the smell is not all that bad with the ones I buy. You are right not to buy the odorless ones because they are treated with a cleaning solution that lingers in the product and is not good for your pet. I feel bully sticks are a natural product and allow my pugs a good choice for chewing. I would not give them rawhide because it can cause intestinal blockages and because a lot of it comes from China. I will not give any thing that comes from China as their products, in my opinion, are not safe due to substandard ingredients and processing procedures. The bully sticks I buy for my babies are from naturally feed cattle with no hormones. I also feed my Pugs a raw diet, puffers (dried pig or cow lungs), dried leg tendons, and goat liver chips. All 3 of mine are healthy with no food allergies, no yeast problems, no skin problems and according to their vet all are at wonderful weights. I don't see any thing wrong with natural products like bully sticks. Good quality ones don't smell all that bad.

Lola's Mum is offline Village Governor

Thanks Cheryl - maybe I will try one from the site you recommended. She does seem to like it...this one just smells really gross! :)
    I'm Caryn, from Charlotte, NC...

My pug, Lola, is 7 months old :) Follow Lola on Facebook!

My 3 pugs just love them. I buy the 8 inch regular sized. Once they have been chewed on they do get sloppy on that part but I can't say the odor is all that bad. Now some of the other things I buy that I mentioned before really do stink. For some reason the tendons really smell the place up, but my Pugs' favorite flavor is stink. Good luck with getting good ones.
    CSollers likes this.

CSollers is offline Village Sugar Daddy

Quote Originally Posted by Cheryl7777 View Post
    I feed my 3 bully sticks all the time. I have always been aware of what they are. I get them from a website called bestbullysticks.com and the smell is not all that bad with the ones I buy. You are right not to buy the odorless ones because they are treated with a cleaning solution that lingers in the product and is not good for your pet. I feel bully sticks are a natural product and allow my pugs a good choice for chewing. I would not give them rawhide because it can cause intestinal blockages and because a lot of it comes from China. I will not give any thing that comes from China as their products, in my opinion, are not safe due to substandard ingredients and processing procedures. The bully sticks I buy for my babies are from naturally feed cattle with no hormones. I also feed my Pugs a raw diet, puffers (dried pig or cow lungs), dried leg tendons, and goat liver chips. All 3 of mine are healthy with no food allergies, no yeast problems, no skin problems and according to their vet all are at wonderful weights. I don't see any thing wrong with natural products like bully sticks. Good quality ones don't smell all that bad.
    Please don't misunderstand my post, I know of no issues with bully sticks. They're a lot better option than raw hide chews.
    Chris, owned by Minni the diva, and "Sugar" Ray the ever hungry.
    DH to Ellen , DD to Lindsay and Carrie

Oh I understand. Some people are gacked out by bully sticks and I can understand that. If you get one that really smells bad and then the thought of what it is could make anyone decide on a different treat. I tried the antlers but my dogs weren't interested in those and they had no smell at all that I could tell. I just try to be really careful to get the best quality I can and to make sure I don't give my pups anything that comes from China. I think our Pugs are just like us people. What is good for one may not be good for some other one.
    Lola's Mum likes this.

MSPugLover is offline New to the Village

Default My dogs go nuts over Bully Sticks (in a GREAT way)

Hey yall

My dogs go flippin' nuts over bully sticks. I know what they are, but after the initial shock, I found out a lot of great things about them. They are amazing for dog's teeth and my little dudes have never had cleaner teeth. I know that this company called Bully Sticks - All Natural Value Dog Treats - Best Bully Stick has odor free sticks that AREN'T treated with chemicals. they just dry 'em out for a while until they are low odor. I just can't get over how great they are for their teeth and they're all-natural and all that jazz. that website has really good prices and stuff too.

Plus, they have a pug for a mascot!!

Yeap, same place I get mine and they are on sale right now. 12% off

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12