Candida/Systemic Yeast Infections - Food Allergies
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Candida/Systemic Yeast Infections - Food Allergies

Reece1635 is offline Village Puppy

Question Candida/Systemic Yeast Infections - Food Allergies

So, I've posted before in regards to food and going grain free for my Pug Reece. A lot of helpful suggestions! I switched Reece to grain free because she was having vomiting and diarrhea off and on and yeast ear infections and eye discharge. I switched her from Royal Canine to Earthborn - Bison Grain Free. She has been on the grain free for at least 3 months and she is still dealing with eye discharge, smelly ears due to yeast and now a rash on her belly and inner thighs. Most foods shouldn't contain the grain and potatoes, sweet potatoes, and rice - since they will cause the yeast to continue. So, I don't understand why she is still having a reaction while on the Bison Grain Free. So, I was thinking of changing her to Lamb - maybe it's the protein source. I don't want to go the chicken or turkey unless the chicken or turkey was raised cage free and grain free diet. So, my choices would be Bison, Lamb, or Venison. She does love the Bison. So, I went to the pet store and decided to buy a different brand and ended up buying her Venison and sweet potato - after the fact that I read about sweet potatoes being a problem for dogs who already have yeast issues. So, I was looking at Raw diets. I was reading about Stella and Chewy's and then Primal Pet foods. Can anyone give me some information on Stella and Chewy's or Primal. Also, where is the best price. I have a Amazon Prime Membership - so that is helpful in the shipping and shipment arrival. Any help is appreciated. Thank you for your time. ~Amanda~

pugtown is offline Village Admiral

Grandma Lucy's Pureformance has some formulas that might work and The Honest Kitchen Zeal formula might also be an option. Canine Caviar grain free has single proteins as does Great Life Rx/Dr E's Limited Ingredient Diets and Pioneer Naturals (both at doctorsfinest.com). Nature's Variety Instinct LID is single protein and it can be found at the pet stores. If you get raw food, the freeze dried choice is more expensive but less costly for shipping. These can be fed dry or rehydrated. There are several brands to chose from. Stella & Chewy's, Primal, Nature's Variety Instinct, Nutrisca, Northwest Naturals, Vital Essentials. There's even a new product called Smack, a dehydrated product. If you go their websites, just use their store locator. Most of these foods can be found at the pet store unless you live in the middle of nowhere!

You can also read the reviews at Dog Food Reviews and Ratings | Dog Food Advisor. They have a raw food section.

Tinker's mom is offline Village Royalty

I use Stella&Chewey's freeze dried Duck,Duck,Goose and Chicken. I tried the lamb and she didn't tolerate it. She does okay with their beef and surf &turf but not as well as the duck. I have the venison but haven't tried it yet. You can buy a small bag to try before you invest in the larger size. I order from Chewey.com, anything over $49 ships free. I also use Stella&Chewey's carnivore treats.I'm paying $29 for the large bag.
    Jackie,Mom to Robbie & Stacy my human children and Tinker my furkid.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

So, I was just reading a few websites and came across this one website in regards to a 30 day yeast free diet. Basically it's raw beef, hard boiled eggs w/ shells, and a supplement called Dinovite or LickOChops DINOVITE - Dog Supplements, Dog Nutrition, Vitamins for Dogs - Satisfaction 100% Guaranteed! have you heard of this website and has anyone used this? I'm curious. I'm very tempted to just do it and then also look into the product Nzymes. Thoughts?

6 Beautiful Pugs is offline Village Caretaker of the Old & Broken

Nzymes has done wonders with the dogs I've used it on. However you must follow the instructions very closely.

Take care,
    Lisa
    In a gentle way, you can shake the world.

- Mohandas Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by Reece1635 View Post
    So, I was just reading a few websites and came across this one website in regards to a 30 day yeast free diet. Basically it's raw beef, hard boiled eggs w/ shells, and a supplement called Dinovite or LickOChops DINOVITE - Dog Supplements, Dog Nutrition, Vitamins for Dogs - Satisfaction 100% Guaranteed! have you heard of this website and has anyone used this? I'm curious. I'm very tempted to just do it and then also look into the product Nzymes. Thoughts?
    I've seen the Yeast Starvation Diet at Homemade Dog Food - Healthy Dog Food Recipes. Although I'd prefer to use Nature's Logic Whole Food fortifier with a fish oil supplement instead of Dinovite + LickoChops.

Nature's Logic

Once again you all have been very helpful! I loved the Dog Food Reviews website. I went ahead and bout the Nature's Logic Venison dry food and Nature's Logic Whole Food fortifier. I want to try the Homemade Dog Food/Yeast Starvation Diet, but I'm a little scared. LOL. I know the biggest thing is to boost the immune system. I'm doing that the best I can with things I already have. I read all the great reviews on the Nature's Logic Venison and Lamb. I feel good about the ingredients. Although the Earthborn didn't have potatoes in it - it did have a lot of pea, pea fiber, and pea protein. I am crossing my fingers she will like it. :) I bought it over the internet since my local PetSense store does not carry it and I'm 1 hr. away from a bigger shopping area. If I can't get it under control after that I will be seeking a holistic Vet that is nearby. Any food reviews on Nature's Logic are welcome. Thanks!

There's also a salive test developed by Dr Jean Dodds - Nutriscan (nutriscan.org). Just wanted to say I've been using Vital Essentials freeze dried nibblets. They are single protein and have a very short ingredient list but still rated for all life stages. The beef nibblets is just beef and fish oil. Very simple.
    lisamak likes this.

Where do you purchase them? Are they just as expensive as high grade dry food? Thanks.

lisamak is offline Village Merchant

I would do the test from Dr. Dodd's before you keep on with trial and error. Will save you time, $ and gray hairs ;) For Honest Kitchen, Embark is a grain-free formulation w/o sweet potatoes. If you contact HK they'll send you samples. I tried Nzymes years ago for my Vince and his yeast issues, didn't see any results. We just kept up with grain-free, raw diet and years later he's just a few months shy of 15 and has no yeast issues any more. He (and my others) eat HK and I actually rotate grain-free and with grain. I think because the grains are whole foods versus processed they're able to digest them without having the allergic reaction (just my experience of course).

Dr. Dodd's test goes for $250 and you've probably spent that on food trials on your own so I'd definitely think it was worth it.

Lisa, Vince, Norman and Doug-Doug - the baking boyz from My Dog Ate It!

Find us on Facebook!

Follow Norman and the gang on Twitter!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast