Help with new food possibly
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Help with new food possibly

Shannon C is offline Village Admiral

Default Help with new food possibly

I posted awhile back about Lyla and her itching. She itches her ears like crazy and her body. Sometimes it subsides while other times its constant. I have been to vet 3 times already and they can't seem to find the cause which is making me very frustrated. Poor thing I don't want her to be uncomfortable. Right now I am feeding her blue buffalo with the other 2 dogs. But I need to try a different food for her to try and solve this itching nonsense. Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks!

Khalismum is offline Village Puppy

Maybe its not the food at all, but something else, eg; washing powder, cleaning liquids, air freshener etc ? My friends dog was suffering badly from unexplained itching, till she realised it was the fabreze she was using every day on her carpets and cushions. Just a thought, you have probably gone through these things.
    honkytonk likes this.

I am just at a loss! I use all natural sprays and stuff. I just don't get it. Her ears are all raw from itching it breaks my heart!

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

puglover22 is offline Village Royalty

blue buffalo recently had a recall....I hope it's not the stuff you're using
    Lu Ci and Ri Ki likes this.

Stephanie, pugmom to Louie Livewire - 3/15/06 - 6/30/22
    and my 4 angels waiting at the bridge....
    the very special Junior, my pug angel who is doing agility at the rainbow bridge 11/22/91 - 3/13/06
    the very special Danny, my first dog, a Dandie Dinmont Terrier 4/5/70 - 2/10/84
    the very special Paddy, the pug who was loved around the world, who my family had the pleasure and honor of loving for the last 3 years and 5 months 5/1/98 - 8/6/14
    the very special Frannie, the tiniest baby girl pug we ever knew - came into our lives 12/18/16 - 6/26/21

maybe she has an ear infection

the very special Junior, my pug angel who is doing agility at the rainbow bridge 11/22/91 - 3/13/06
    the very special Paddy, the pug who was loved around the world, who my family had the pleasure and honor of loving for the last 3 years and 5 months 5/1/98 - 8/6/14
    the very special Frannie, the tiniest baby girl pug we ever knew - came into our lives 12/18/16 - 6/26/21

been using blue since she was a baby...maybe I will look into other foods. First 3x I took her to vet for itching it was not an ear infection. She itches her face and under her arms too

anyone have good suggestions on what they use for kibble?

check this site for recalls and for finding a new food

Dog Food Recalls | Dog Food Advisor

Tinker's mom is offline Village Royalty

Eliminate grains with your new food and you may need to switch proteins before this calms down. Have patience, you'll figure it out. Don't forget to look at treats as well for their ingredients.
    Wonka & Nilla and honkytonk like this.
    Jackie,Mom to Robbie & Stacy my human children and Tinker my furkid.

Wonka & Nilla is offline Village Dancing Jitterpug

It could be an allergy to something other than food (pollen, detergent, etc.) but a good place to start would be to switch to some other protein source with the food. For example, if she's been eating a chicken-based kibble, try beef or duck or rabbit or venison, any other protein source. Our pugs really like (and do well on) a fish based food. If she's not already eating a grain-free kibble, that might be the second thing to try.
    In the meantime, you could try an antihistamine (for our Nilla, we found that Chlor-Trimeton (chlorpheniramine) works better than Benadryl (diphenhydramine) for allergies). And you might try a fur rinse with 50-50 apple cider vinegar and water - make sure you dilute the vinegar half and half with water. That gives our itchy girl Nilla some temporary relief from her seasonal allergies in the spring and fall.
    Best wishes and I hope you find something that works well for your girl!
    Lu Ci and Ri Ki and honkytonk like this.
    Village Moderator

Mom to Miss Jelly Bean "Beanie" Licorice Pug and Noodles the Frenchie
    Forever in our hearts:
    Miss Nilla Sassafras Pug August 17, 2002 to April 19, 2018
    And my Heart-Dog...
    Wonka the Dancing Pug, CGC, W-FD, W-TFD.
    Februrary 11, 2005 to May 10, 2020. Miss you, sweet boy!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast