Merrick Limited Ingredient Diet question
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By LilyFayre

Thread: Merrick Limited Ingredient Diet question

BoogaAndSnarf is offline Village Puppy

DefaultMerrick Limited Ingredient Diet question

Both my pugs are on the dry limited ingredient diet by merrick, they are 9 and 8 months old, is it ok to keep them on this for the rest of their life?This is my biggest concern. Do they need additional vitamins? I do give them canned pumpkin and probiotics on top of the food since one of my pugs has a very very sensitive stomach. So bad that the merrick treats will give him diarrhea. So they both get carrots as a treat. No issues being on the LID, his stomach can handle it. My big problem is I have to put water in it and let it soak. I am guessing it is very bland tasting because they wont touch it dry. I tried putting a little bit of the LID canned mixed in but it gave my older pug the runs. I have tried wellness core and they both refused to eat it.

LilyFayre is offline Village Admiral

Hi!

I don't know this particular product, but from what I can see it is a grain free complete diet that you could conceivably feed them on for life, and no you wouldn't add any other additional vitamins unless it was under veterinary supervision for a specific medical condition since the product already contains added vitamins. When you say you add probiotics I'm aware that there has been certain amount of speculation in the media recently as to whether this actually causes more harm than good in humans, but in any event I always put a dessert spoon of natural goats yoghurt which contains naturally contains probiotics on my dogs' meals twice per day. Fortunately I've never had any digestive or allergy problems with my pug, but there again she's only ever been fed on Naturediet, a complete wet food.

I know there is probiotics in the merrick already, so i actually stopped giving a extra probiotic after talking to merrick. He went back to having diarrhea so I started giving them to him again. He did have Giardia when he was about 12 weeks old, I will have to talk to the vet to see if that may have weakened his gut?

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

I don't know about a weakened digestive problem, but it sounds like it might be worth getting a fecal sample checked just in case he's picked it up again. I do know that my friend's miniature schnauzer was diagnosed with giardia as a newly bought puppy and although treated for it and checked that he was clear he's always had a dodgy stomach since. But there again, this breed is a bit notorious for having this sort of problem anyway. My friend is now feeding raw and this seems to suit him better, but there are obviously pros and cons to doing that and in general most vets don't agree with doing it.

Suri is offline Village Secret Super-Star

I feed zignature limited ingredients, Merrick has rosemary extract which I can not have, so I am surprised Merrick, limited ingredients has that.
    Susan, mom to Scruffy, Bo and Maggie Mae

Honoring Jenny, Trooper, Kaja,Muff, and Pepper

I looked at zignature, they have more flavor options. Price is high. what is the most popular flavor of food for pugs?? My pugs won't touch lamb or chicken. I look at these other brands and I saw blue wilderness makes a alligator and cat fish flavor.

Also is it true a lid doesn't taste as well to dogs?

Goodness I thought you were joking about the alligator and catfish flavour dog food - had to go and look it up for myself!!!
    Lu Ci and Ri Ki likes this.

+ Reply to Thread