Buy a pug-pup!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: Buy a pug-pup!

im1snell is offline New to the Village

DefaultBuy a pug-pup!

Hello, I am interested in buying a pug puppy, but I don't even know what a good price for them are!
    There are people that want 1000 a pup, is that to much for a pug or is that about the regular price??

Wonka & Nilla is offline Village Dancing Jitterpug

Hello and welcome to PugVillage.
    $1000 is certainly not unheard of, but it's hard to answer if that's the "regular price" because it's so subjective and really based on so many things... is the pug puppy a "show quality" dog from a top breeder? a "pet quality" from a good breeder? Or a pup with no papers from a back yard breeder or puppy mill? (PLEASE don't buy from puppy mills!!!!!) Those things and much more can make a big difference in the cost. Some people think they are getting a "bargain" by buying from a backyard breeder, but sometimes those dogs are poorly bred and have serious health issues later. That doesn't mean they are any less loveable, but poor breeding can potentially = larger bills later. The best thing you can do is thoroughly research the breed and find out more about reputable breeders in your area, visit them if possible and meet the parents, ask questions about health testing and background of the parents.
    Village Moderator

Mom to
    Wonka the Dancing Pug, CGC, W-FD, W-TFD
    and Miss Nilla Sassafras Pug CP (couch potato)

Cheryl7777 is offline Village Admiral

I know a cute puppy sounds very appealing, but have you considered a rescue. Sometimes they have young Pugs available and rescuing is so rewarding. You might research your area for Pug rescues and see what they have available. Good luck with what ever you decide and welcome to Pug Village. This website has a ton of information and great people with a lot of knowledge.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

im1snell is offline New to the Village

I have a new daughter on the way and my wife does not want/trust any type of rescue dog until my daughter is older. trust me, I feel the same way but I also understand where my wife is coming from.

Tinker's mom is offline Village Royalty

Hello & to the village! By all means research the breeder thoroughly. Good luck in your hunt. Glad to have you here!
    Piddle Place likes this.
    Jackie,Mom to Robbie & Stacy my human children and Tinker my furkid.

LilyFayre is offline Village Admiral

Hi!

Just a suggestion, but why not wait until your new human baby has arrived and your lives have settled back to some sort of normality?

I'm a fairly experienced dog owner of over forty years, having competed in showing, obedience, agility and instructing at dog training classes in the past, but even I started to wonder at one stage what the heck I'd gotten myself into with a pug puppy! She was a totally manic, bitey little thing that took me totally by surprise. Baby pugs can be so exuberant and energetic that they really aren't a good mix with very young children and they need a great deal of your time which isn't really possible when you have a new daughter.

As to price, well I'm in the UK and they are very expensive here with very few ever turning up in a rescue as people tend to sell them on because of their high value. I guess in your situation if I really wanted a pug with a new baby, I'd spend time looking for the right rescue dog where the history is known - they don't all come from abused backgrounds.

Good luck - let us know how you get along! :)

puglover22 is offline Village Royalty

I agree with LilyFayre.....I would absolutely wait on the pug puppy for now.....you will have your hands full when your daughter arrives. Puppies of any breed take a lot of time, patience, and training, especially in the early stages. Human babies the same! I'm afraid you just won't have time to do both. I know your intentions are good, but trust me.......don't bite off more than you can chew!

Stephanie, pugmom to Louie Livewire, born 3/15/06
    and my 3 angels waiting at the bridge....
    the very special Junior, my pug angel who is doing agility at the rainbow bridge 11/22/91 - 3/13/06
    the very special Danny, my first dog, a Dandie Dinmont Terrier 4/5/70 - 2/10/84
    the very special Paddy, the pug who was loved around the world, who my family had the pleasure and honor of loving for the last 3 years and 5 months 5/1/98 - 8/6/14

puggy123 is offline Village Puppy

Just a point of information for the future, a quality breeder can charge $1800-$2500 for a puppy based on the cost a good breeder incurs having a litter produced. Jimmy's breeder has limited litters (maybe 1 litter per female a year or so) and does C sections only for her litters. The cost of genetic testing for PDE, C sections, ultrasounds, etc can be as much as $3500 for a breeder. All the time invested and a litter might be only 3 pups and you can see why a good breeder charges so much. Jimmy was part of a litter of 6 other brothers and sisters so it worked out well for the breeder. Don't buy pet store pups. They come from puppy mills. When you are ready consider a rescue pug. My 12 year old, Pugsley, lost his owner at age 8 because she died. I adopted him and he is the best dog in the world. Guaranteed, you will love a rescue pug just as much as a puppy.

Nina_W is offline Village Story Teller

puppies and babies are a bit of a bad mix, especially until the dog is about a year to a year and a half. Puggies are hard to get past that 'bite everything and bite hard' stage, and they need a lot of attention - hard to balance with a baby that needs even more of the same.

Small dogs and small kids are a bit of a bad mix too, until the kid can understand not to hurt the dog. This takes longer for some than for others.

Not all rescues have issues, some are, like my pom, in rescue because their owner became terminally ill and had to relinquish the dog (or any of a myriad other sensible, valid and sane reasons to relinquish a dog - one of the most common being 'and then the baby came and there was no time and the puppy was biting the baby'). He was well loved, and is a lovely house pet.

puggy123 is offline Village Puppy

Quote Originally Posted by Nina_W View Post
    puppies and babies are a bit of a bad mix, especially until the dog is about a year to a year and a half. Puggies are hard to get past that 'bite everything and bite hard' stage, and they need a lot of attention - hard to balance with a baby that needs even more of the same.

Small dogs and small kids are a bit of a bad mix too, until the kid can understand not to hurt the dog. This takes longer for some than for others.

Not all rescues have issues, some are, like my pom, in rescue because their owner became terminally ill and had to relinquish the dog (or any of a myriad other sensible, valid and sane reasons to relinquish a dog - one of the most common being 'and then the baby came and there was no time and the puppy was biting the baby'). He was well loved, and is a lovely house pet.
    Agree 100% that puppies and babies and even very young children are a bad mix.
    Metal_Monkey likes this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast