Are brindle pugs purebred?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Are brindle pugs purebred?

sweetn_low is offline Village Puppy

Default Are brindle pugs purebred?

I am just curious about this question. I did a little searching online and some say that there are no such thing as purebred brindle pugs but others say that brindle pugs go back just as far as fawn and black pugs do.

I wonder because Milo's mom was a brindle pug and his dad was a pure black pug. Milo has a little speck of white on his chest and one paw. I honestly don't care if he is 100% pug, I love him either way but I am just curious about this. In Milo's litter, there were three black pugs, two fawn and two brindle pugs.

Here is a picture of Milo's mom :)

Wally 'n' Leto is offline Pugzu Guru

Milo's mom does look like there's a little boston in there... that would give the brindle. There's another thread where this was debated at length and you might want to look it up... it's a really sensitive issue. Some brindle pugs have had their genotype done and test out as pure pug, but there is some question where the color comes from. Some believe that the brindle comes from a mix, even several generations back. Some believe that it is a historic colour. There are old paintings of brindle pugs, but it is certainly not part of the breed standard now.
    Heather, Mommy to skinkid Toby and furkids Sir Wally of Pugzu and Duke Leto Prancypants the Fragrant.

Also Mom to Just Dakota the Canadian X and Dharma the Paint; Seed Shoveler Extraordinaire to rescue budgies Spud, Minty, and Wendy.

Main squeeze of high school sweetie Scot.

lotusseeds is offline Village Senator

Interesting! I know that they are not breed standard so you could not show them. I don't know if you could register a brindle either. Mom looks a bit smutty, so yes mom may have had a black ancestor as well as dad. I have seen a few in rescue and a few breeders who do brindles too, but not that common.
    She is a good looking puggie!
    Pam, pugmom to Dumpling and human mother to 3

Pugpillow is offline Village Royalty

No.
    "You cannot afford to subject your animals, or your children, to medical interventions that you do not understand. The belief system upon which the conventional medical model is founded is so faulty, so corrupt and so dangerous that you simply cannot afford to follow blindly." Catherine O’Driscoll http://www.whale.to/vaccine/driscoll1.html

Hilary & the Pugpillow Gang: Rescues: Denver (10), Tina (7), Murdoch (5) and chihuahua puppy Maximus Spartacus. Always loving my angel-girl Mei-Ling (1994-2009), my cutie-patootie Kim-Soo (1995-2010), my precious Daisy-Bo (1998?-2006), my sweet boyfriend Jake (1997-2010), my little black beauty Betsy (1995-2010), my sweet old grumpy man Gooey (1996-2011), and my sweet gentleman Farnsworth (1998-2012) at the Bridge.

shaynapug is offline Village Royalty

The pug does not carry the gene for brindle.....therefore...no brindle pug is purebred.
    Diane
    Shayna Pugs
    http://www.midmichiganpugclub.com
    Chairperson of PDCA Rescue Committee

pugaddiction is offline Village Admiral

I have no idea but boy oh boy is Milos mommy ever pretty.
    GINA

I have a lot of questions about pug coloring and ancestry, I hope that I am not offending anyone or stepping on toes here. It still has to do with color and brindles, so I don't think it requires it's own thread.
    We as humans have engineered the evouionary pathway of thousands of species of plants and animals to meet our needs and desires thoughout our breif histroy here on Earth. Dogs have been the most diversified of all the animals we have genetically tweeked. The pug was said to have been a mix of two other dogs having it's origins in China hundreds of years ago, the animal we see today is not the leggy, leaner less brachy faced beast in China just a centruy ago. In adition to the look of the pug has changed when different dogs were cross bred to change the color patterns as we see in a group of pugs given to Japanese roylaty that were bred with large white patches on them, a symbol of good luck. Today if you have pug with white patches on it's chest, chin or paws, it will still genetically test out at 100% pug. I don't understand why only two colors are accepted as pure and all others even if they are genetically 100% pure pug are not accepted. The pug dog carries wth it a genetic linage that includes other dogs, this animal gained it's origins in other dogs with other colors. If brindle is not accepted, what about naturally occuring gentic mutaions and variations of the black coat that include silver and brown solid coats?

shaynapug is offline Village Royalty

I cannot answer that...I'm not strong in genetics. Just know that pugs do not carry the brindle gene!

There are faults in even humans...things just happen. These dogs cannot be shown.
    Diane
    Shayna Pugs
    http://www.midmichiganpugclub.com
    Chairperson of PDCA Rescue Committee

Is it that brindle came too far along in the breed's development and that brindle occurs in dogs other than the originated dog stock used to develop the breed?

CountessPugula is offline Village Puppy

I'd never heard of a brindle pug before I saw this thread but thats a beautiful dog in the pic! Was I misled or do purebred apricot pugs exist? Because my first ever pug book listed it as one of the breed standard colours but I've only ever seen a mixed breed apricot pug/tibetan spaniel - its the most amazing vivid orange colour!

Mother to Sonny the Gangster Pug and Sapphire the Permanently Harrassed Cat!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast