How many times does a Pug go in to heat?
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How many times does a Pug go in to heat?

Melissa_W is offline New to the Village

Default How many times does a Pug go in to heat?

When a pug goes in to heat the first time how long is it before the next heat? I beleive the frist heat is around six month of age.

Thanks,
    Melissa

kiki61872 is offline Village VP

i could be wrong (since i'm not a breeder)
    but i think they go into heat 2x per year?

Melissa_W is offline New to the Village

I think I read some where they go in to heat 3x a year, but I would like to know how long is it until they go in to their second heat after their very first one? I was told 45 days later. Is that correct?

Melissa

FourteenLegs is offline Village Diva

It would be EXTREMELY rare and unusual for a dog to go into heat more than twice a year, I would think impossible. Their first heat can be anywhere from 6 months of age and SHOULD have happened by 12 months, or not far past it. Most dogs will have 2 heats a year, some dogs (wild dogs or some breeds not too far removed from the wild like Basenjis) only come into estrous once a year. LouLou, my older pug, had her first season when she was nine months old. She had her second season when she was 18 months old (I was exhibiting her so couldn't spay her). She was spayed when she was 2, before her 3rd season.

Bitches should not be bred until at least their 2nd or 3rd season (18 months old - no younger). Do you know the signs to look for, when estrous is coming on?
    Check out the PugVillage Books - buy one from HERE and help rescue.

Rona and the Principessas Imogen and Pearl. Holding in our hearts forever LouLou and Puck who have been reunited at the Bridge.
    All my babies at the Bridge - LouLou, Puck, Piaff, Donato, Persia, Dragon, Smugs, (Pugs) and Madam and her son Woolfie (horses).

Rija is offline New to the Village

It is very individual. A bitch can get in heat anywhere from six months to a year. And the next heat also varies. It could be from five months to eight. Some have regular cyclus, whereas some don't. So you acutally find out the cyclus of your dog as the time passes. I also new some bitches that were in heat only once a year. But usually it's twice a year, average every six months.
    But, as Rona mentioned it's important to know the signs to look for. As well as to know when your girl is ready for mating, wheteher you want to mate her or don't want surprises! The whole heat cyclus lasts about three weeks. And the next is counted from the first day of the previous.
    And just a little note: all reputable and responsible pug breeders will advice you NOT to breed a pug before the age of two. Pugs do mature a little bit later than most of the other breeds. And there are many other parameters, too.
    Rija & Z-Z
    My pug's not spoiled...I'm just well trained!

sandi is offline New to the Village

Thumbs up Times pugs go in heat

Hi:

We have a 3 yr old female pug. Pugs and numbers of heat vary. Two times a year is the norm. My female pug is one of the ones that doesn't follow the rule. Her first heat was at 13 1/2 months. Then her second one came 10 1/2 months later, at that time we mated her. Her puppies were born sept 09/03, and she hasn't had a heat since. We are expecting it at any time soon but with her cycles noone can tell. Dogs are like humans, very unpredictable.
    Carla

+ Reply to Thread