+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: pug car seats/seat belts ...

PrincessPugGirl is offline Village VP

Default pug car seats/seat belts ...

Hi guys,
    looking for what works best for you as far as traveling with your pugs

do you use a seat belt or a car seat?

were planning on taking the Pugs on a few mini day trips in a few weeks and I would feel better knowing they were sitting right in the car and able to be comfortable and safe.

if you have a picture that would also be helpful

thanks again guys have a fun weekend
    Tania mommy to Princess, Remington and Cabella (the Pugs) and also a crazy cat lady ( Snickers, Gracie, Faith,Ringo, and Kong)

**I have facebook **

Squeezable Beasties is offline Village Mayor

Not to hijack this thread, but, if in answering this question, any light could be shed on what specific car-seat might also work best for a 12 year old Pug girl (18.5-20lbs), with arthitus, who has never been contained in a car-seat, and who now routinely freaks out when her apparent internal Pug GPS detects Vet proximity. She doesn't mind her harness, but getting her safely into, and out of, a car-seat could be a challenge. Thanks!

DixiesMom is offline Village Governor

I have a travel vest harness for Dixie but no pics. If you google dog travel vest you can see some examples. The chest is padded and the back has an extra loop for the seat belt. Then you can also use it for the walking halter once you arrive at your destination.
    She actually wiggled out of it once so I adjusted it a little tighter and so far she's been safe with it but I am still working with her to actually enjoy riding in the car - she whimpers a lot.
    I think the crates would be safer and I just have to get past that idea mentally that she seems so much more confined than sitting on the seat. I don't know if she'd sit in a car chair - that would probably be ideal to keep her confined but not closed in.
    Our previous dog rode on the back seat, no problem. We'd just call out 'road trip' and she was ready to go. A little hyper at first, but then settled down.
    So far Ms. Dixie isn't at that stage yet... she's too wild and jumpy and panting in the car (although she's so calm and subdued in the house) to be able to not be leashed.
    I realize this doesn't answer anything other than to say you may try several things before you find the right thing for each of your babies.
    Word of advice - if they aren't confined to a crate, be sure the windows are locked. Ms. Dixie once leaned on the switch and lowered the back right window and this was before I had the travel halter for her (our first car trip - very educating) I nearly wrecked the car.
    Last edited by DixiesMom; 05-22-2010 at 01:22 PM.

LeeStrickler is offline Village Senator

I have a booster chair for Roxi. She doesn't love it but she freaks in a crate, so for us it is better. She is close to me & can see out the window but is confined and can't jump on me while I drive. I got it at Petsmart, but don't have a picture.
    Lee Strickler
    Mom to Roxi, the Diva Pug, Orbit the Black Lab & Bridger, the Maine Coon.

TruPugUR is offline Village Governor

This is the booster seat we use. I clip their harness to the strap on the back of the seat. Mine seem to like it. Don't know if it's the safest option, but it secures to the bucket seat around the back and the headrest as well. We are happy with it. I can fit both mine in the extra large though for a long trip I would not use it for both dogs, because they need more room.

Amazon.com: Solvit 62293 Pet Booster Seat, Deluxe, Extra-Large: Home & Garden

Here's a couple pics of Trudy in the seat

It is big enough she can lay down

Anne (Mom to Trudy and Jasmine, our beautiful pug girls, and three non-fur kids)

PrincessPugGirl is offline Village VP

omg Anne so cute and it looks comfortable
    Tania mommy to Princess, Remington and Cabella (the Pugs) and also a crazy cat lady ( Snickers, Gracie, Faith,Ringo, and Kong)

**I have facebook **

TruPugUR is offline Village Governor

Thanks! Agreed, it's comfy plus they can see out the window which makes them happier too!
    Anne (Mom to Trudy and Jasmine, our beautiful pug girls, and three non-fur kids)

518dark-rose is offline Village Admiral

Trudy looks so content in that car seat :) x

Ti Amore Scooby Snack - 13/04/10

Stazz is offline Village Admiral

Good question Tania ! I wonder the same thing. Yoda totally goes ballistic when he's in his soft crate in the car, but he also goes ballistic (excited) if he's attached to the seatbelt in the back, so I need to work out how to calm him down lol.
    Stace
    Mom to Yoda & Leia

xxx

Wonka & Nilla is offline Village Dancing Jitterpug

Wonka and Nilla ride in booster seat boxes similar to what TruPugUR posted with Trudy (not as pretty, though). And they are secured to the car with a doggie seatbelt that clips into the regular seatbelt on the car. I like the 3' Bamboo Quick Connect dog seatbelt and leash. We don't use it as a leash, but i like knowing it can become one in an emergency or if I forgot someone's leash at home.
    Amazon.com: Bamboo Quick Control 3-Foot Leash with Seat Belt…

Quote Originally Posted by Squeezable Beasties View Post
    who now routinely freaks out when her apparent internal Pug GPS detects Vet proximity.
    LOL, LOVE the phrase "Internal Pug GPS" Our pugs seem to have theirs programmed for "Points of Interest" that include: vet, pet store, training center, drive through food, dog park.....
    Village Moderator

Mom to
    Wonka the Dancing Pug, CGC, W-FD, W-TFD
    and Miss Nilla Sassafras Pug CP (couch potato)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast