Eye Boogers
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eye Boogers

ImmortalBeloved is offline Village Mayor

Default Eye Boogers

Mopsy gets them sometimes. Is this just normal? I gently wipe them away which does not thrill her but I get it done. I try to be very gentle about it. It's not super bad but I wanted to make sure it's normal. I forgot to ask the vet and we were just there for annual shots too! Of course I forget to ask.

Rosiepug is offline Moderator et Village Parisienne

Pugs have large eyes that don't always fully close when sleeping.

The eyes dehydrate a little and lots of dust sticks to the eye ball.

Use an eye lubricant twice a day and the eyes will stay clean and much more comfortable.

Here's a link to good information, mine LOL
    http://pugvillage.com/forum/pug-heal...e-wrinkle.html
    Last edited by Rosiepug; 06-13-2010 at 08:02 PM. Reason: add link
    www.parischiennepugs.com

]acqueline et
    Les Parischiennes,
    L'Impératrice Rosephine de Bonaparte
    La Marquise Halcyone de Pompadour

PUDDING @ 9 wks
    CRUFTS QUALIFIED 2010

Mademoiselle Amaryllis qui m'attende au pont d'arc 27.3.99-14.11.06

CountryPug is offline Village Pug Pony & Penguin Wrangler

I agree with Rosiepug. Use a lubricant such as Genteal severe eye gel. You can also try the Genteal pm ointment....it has the same ingredients as the prescription ointment I get from my vet. You can get it over the counter at Walmart. I use lubricating eye drops on Bella everyday and have seen a huge difference in the amount of eye boogers and irritation as well.

Christa, Mom to Toby & Kelsey

missing Riley and Roxy, who are at the bridge
    and my precious Bella 11-2-07 - 05-6-12

Ok great info thanks! I'm going to get some for sure. I want her to be comfortable! So you put it in before bed and then what in the morning?

I read some about Pug eyes when we first got her but not about lubricating them more just how they can be prone to injury and I'm wondering why my vet never mentioned to me to do it? Maybe because like I said I never mentioned the eye boogers to him. I asked him lots of other questions though. Especially when we first got her at her first few visits.
    Last edited by ImmortalBeloved; 06-13-2010 at 08:31 PM.

I use the drops in the morning and at night. If there is a problem, then I use it more often. The reason your vet probably did not mention it to you, is because many vets are not really that familiar with pugs eyes and their problems. You can avoid or lessen many eye problems by keeping them lubricated.

Well thanks for the info I am going to get some of that. I am sure Mopsy will appreciate it. I don't get how a vet could not be aware of pugs eyes and the issues they can have. Aren't they supposed to know that stuff? I have been going to our vet a long time since before we had Mopsy we would take our cat there and he seems to really enjoy the animals which is why we kept going back. He fixed our Jack/Chi's broken leg too. He seemed confident in his plan to treat her and we trusted him and she is perfect now. No surgery and not even a limp. She was 3 months at the time and still growing. I guess it's possible he mentioned the eyes to me at one point but truly I don't think so because I always follow his advice and I would have gotten her some had he mentioned it. Oh, well......I guess this is what part of being a responsible, proactive pet owner is all about! lol Do your homework! lol Thanks for the info!

Magicre is offline Village Puppy

not all vets know enough specific information about certain breeds, although most know that pugs are prone to eye issues.

mine was smart enough to recognise corneal scratching, so presumed bubba had entropion.

because i believe him to be a good vet, he knows when to and whom to refer....and he did..we went to a doggie eye doctor and not only did bubba have scratched corneas from his lower eyelashes turned inward, his eye lids were not shaped right and he was not closing his eyes all the way.

and, here we thought he was so cute because he scrunched his eyes....

we had him operated on.....fixed the entropion and had a little plastic surgery done on his eyes....

i believe that surgery, along with the fact that he is fed raw, has stopped the eye goops. mostly the surgery....
    Owned by:

Bubba - Pug
    Malia - Ditch Dog

wow that must have been painful for him? how awful. I'm really glad to hear that he is better now after the surgery! I'm going to get the drops and see how it goes and maybe if they are not helping as much as I would like to see I will take her to see the vet. I want to get the drops first. She doesn't paw at them or squint or anything just lots of boogers lately and I am wondering if it could be allergies because my allergies and my dads have been very bad lately. I mean really bad! So I wonder if she has them too because she has never had boogers in her eyes like this before.

Stazz is offline Village Admiral

Well, I bought Yoda moisturizing drops, but to get him to sit still is insane. He HATES eye drops, I have tried everything to coax him to sit still, loads of different treats...and no luck!! I can get him to sit still, with treats, to clean his nose wrinkle...MOST times....but eye drops. Uh uh. He knows exactly what the eye drops bottle is, and he'll fight away from me! So hope yr puggy is better than Yoda monkey in that respect!!
    Stace
    xxx
    Pug mom to hilarious 4 year old Yoda and 8 year old rescue grub Leia

Quote Originally Posted by Stazz View Post
    Well, I bought Yoda moisturizing drops, but to get him to sit still is insane. He HATES eye drops, I have tried everything to coax him to sit still, loads of different treats...and no luck!! I can get him to sit still, with treats, to clean his nose wrinkle...MOST times....but eye drops. Uh uh. He knows exactly what the eye drops bottle is, and he'll fight away from me! So hope yr puggy is better than Yoda monkey in that respect!!

I have to give Bella eye drops two times a day and she is the worst. What I do is put her in my lap with all four feet facing forward and her back against my chest.Hold on with one arm and have the drops in the other. Come from behind if you can and do it quickly and then give a food reward. Drops are much easier than ointment, but they will get used to that too in time. It just takes lots of practise until they get good about it. It's good to practise with lubricating drops than to wait until they have a scratch or something and then find out you cant get a drop in their eye

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast