How do you properly clean/wash a baby pug?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you properly clean/wash a baby pug?

juliab is offline Village Puppy

Default How do you properly clean/wash a baby pug?

Hi everyone! Well this will be my first time giving Pugsley a bath since I got him on Sunday. He's starting to really stink!

I'm a little nervous because I don't want to get water in his ears because I've heard that's a big no no!

Also, when cleaning the wrinkles, do you just use a normal tissue? Or use a special wipe then dry it?
    I only do this when he's sleeping (only time he lets me) and i've tried the q-tip method, but he hates that and tries to eat the q-tips while i'm doing it.

Thanks guys!

Julia and Pugsley

6 Beautiful Pugs is offline Village Caretaker of the Old & Broken

For cleaning nose roll and ears I use the following recipe I got here which works great:

1/3 c. rubbing alcohol
    1/3 c. white vinegar
    1/3 c. witch hazel
    few drops tea tree oil

Apply to tissue or q-tip and swab out nose roll until clean. You need to teach him to tolerate it. He won't naturally accept it, but it needs to be done at least once a week or more.

For ears, put the solution in a squeeze bottle with a pull up top, like the kind liquid dish detergent often comes in, and squirt it gently and liberally into the ear, then rub the base of the ear to work it deep into the ear. Let the dog shake his head and then swab out the ear canal until it comes clean. Repeat for other ear.

Mine know what "the bottle" looks like and slink off when they see it come out, but once captured they submit without much fuss.

For baths, there isn't much to it, just use a good dog shampoo that doesn't irritate his skin or sense of smell and wash with warm water in either a sink or bathtub. Don't wet his head. make sure you rinse it all out. Then gently clean face and ear flaps with a warm damp washcloth (no soap).

I get down to Anaheim a lot because my hubby works there, so if you would like someday we can do a pug lunch and I can answer any questions you might have and give you some food & stuff I've learned works well with mine for you to try out. Where did you get Pugsley?

Take care,
    Lisa
    Last edited by 6 Beautiful Pugs; 06-26-2010 at 10:33 AM.
    In a gentle way, you can shake the world.

- Mohandas Gandhi

Suri is offline Village Secret Super-Star

All I can add is keep him warm after his bath, if he is young you don't want him to get sick I don't think I bathed my pups till they were 3 to4 months old, I don't recall them smelling though.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

Bethy is offline Village Admiral

As a dog groomer, for 35 years, I can't stress enough, not to bathe your dog more often than once a month, or every six weeks. Even with a good dog shampoo, frequent bathing takes all the natural oils out of the skin, which can lead to skin problems.

Another thing............if you do bathe your dog, NEVER use baby shampoo. it is not formulated for the Ph of the dog's skin, and is very, very drying.

I show my dogs, as most of you know, and my dogs NEVER get bathed, until, or unless I am planning on taking them into the ring. I just brush them, to keep their coats clean and shiney, and that works very well.
    BETH AND THE JELLYROLL GANG
    www.jellyrollpugs.com

HOME OF:
    Champion Rose's Serendipity
    Champion Jellyroll Sherfame Bre-z Bea
    Champion Bre-z Manor Jellyroll Pogo
    Champion Bre-z Manor's Frozen Assets
    Champion Bre-z Manor Jellyroll Jolly
    Jellyroll Bre-z Sparkle'n'Bling..AKC Major Pointed
    Rose's Licker-ish..AKC Pointed
    Bre-z Jellyroll Ginny Fizz

At the Rainbow Bridge...
    Champion Bre-z Manor Jellyroll Wally
    Jellyroll Sherfame Bre-z Boy, AKC Major Pointed
    Mary Margaret Furperson, our first pug

Pugpillow is offline Village Royalty

I only bathe mine 3-4 times a year. Sometimes they get rinsed off on the paws or undercarriage if they have been through mud or wet dirty pavement.
    "You cannot afford to subject your animals, or your children, to medical interventions that you do not understand. The belief system upon which the conventional medical model is founded is so faulty, so corrupt and so dangerous that you simply cannot afford to follow blindly." Catherine O’Driscoll http://www.whale.to/vaccine/driscoll1.html

Hilary & the Pugpillow Gang: Rescues: Denver (10), Tina (7), Murdoch (5) and chihuahua puppy Maximus Spartacus. Always loving my angel-girl Mei-Ling (1994-2009), my cutie-patootie Kim-Soo (1995-2010), my precious Daisy-Bo (1998?-2006), my sweet boyfriend Jake (1997-2010), my little black beauty Betsy (1995-2010), my sweet old grumpy man Gooey (1996-2011), and my sweet gentleman Farnsworth (1998-2012) at the Bridge.

juliab is offline Village Puppy

Thanks for all the advice! I will be counting on you guys and following your advice because I am new to the dog world and pug world. (I've only had cats)

And LISA, a pug lunch sounds great! I have soooo many questions. I've read so many internet sites to try to learn as much information as I can but I feel like I still don't know enough!

I got Pugsley from a breeder in Santa Ana for about $150. He was born March 18th, So he's about 3 months old.

How many pugs do you have and what are their names? :)

6 Beautiful Pugs is offline Village Caretaker of the Old & Broken

Right at the moment I've got 8.

Marty (almost 3)
    Peaches (6)
    Bugsy (6)
    Jake (6)
    Kobe (9)
    Bear (6)
    Dickson (10)
    and Bailey (12)

I foster and transport for Pug Rescue of San Diego, Pug Rescue of San Diego

I will PM you my contact info.

Take care,
    Lisa
    In a gentle way, you can shake the world.

- Mohandas Gandhi

bugsie is offline Village Mayor

the only thing I can tell you is that you need to make sure that you rinse it well after you bath him. make sure all the soap is gone.
    for the wrinkle I bought some wet naps at petsmart for puppy. you can use it to clean him too at the same time.

Snifter is offline Moderator/Village Merchant

I am surprised a pug that age should stink. Well, any age, actually, unless he has rolled in something nasty. Mine have never needed a bath through being smelly.

Bella, mummy to Snifter and Toddy!

http://avrilmunson.wordpress.com

bumble is offline Village Hooker

Just remember that wrinkles are a sign that he's drip dry!
    Sheila, owned by Paddy the Wonderpug

Save the planet; it's the only one with red wine, chocolate, and pugs

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast