Mucus/ blood in stool???
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mucus/ blood in stool???

TurbosMom is offline Village Puppy

Question Mucus/ blood in stool???

Hi everyone,
    I have Turbo trained to go to the bathroom on the wee-wee pad. Today his stools have been a bit softer in consistency, and just now I noticed a small stool that was made up of mucus and a tiny bit of blood. He's acting normally- playful, running around, and he's had plenty of nap time today.
    Is this something I should go the doctor about right now or on Monday? should I just "wait and see"??? Has this happened to anyone else?

Thanks.

babybree is offline Village Puppy

It has happened to me before, several times with different dogs. When this happened, the stools were soft or diarrhea. I waited for several stool samples and made sure they were well hydrated. When the stools firmed up, it was fine. : ) If they were acting sick, I'd take them in ASAP.

Thank you babybree, that helps me feel better :) I'll just keep an eye on the next bowel movements and go from there.

shaynapug is offline Village Royalty

As long as he's acting okay.....it should be fine til Monday.

Does it have a stronger odor???

Stool with mucus and some blood can be a sign of coccidia. It affects pups and can make them very sick without treatment. Treatment is simple.

Ben had coccidia when I got him> He showed no signs...I just tested because he was new here. He was put on albon.

I had another pup years ago that got coccidia at about 6 months old. He showed no signs.....and then at 12 AM, he started to throw up. I had him at the vet by 7:30 AM...and he needed fluids. Then he had bloody diarrhea and the vet thought he might have either parvo or pancreatis. He was tested for parvo and it was negative. So...they thought pancreatis which can sometimes not have a good ending. By 4:30...they still didn't know. Then at 6...they were able to test for coccidia. That's what it was. They started him on albon.....and the next morning when I went to pick him up, he waltzed out of there like nothing had happened!
    Diane
    Shayna Pugs
    http://www.midmichiganpugclub.com
    Chairperson of PDCA Rescue Committee

It didn't have a stronger odor, it smelled less. I actually put my face to it to smell it just to make sure it was poop since it looked a bit like vomit. I'm still waiting for this morning's poop. Sorry if this is a bit graphic.
    Oh the things we pug mommies do..

The past two days Turbo has also been vomiting. He threw up his breakfast today too :(
    I took Turbo to the vet today, and sure enough they found coccidia. He gave me oral liquid ponazuril to give him for the bacteria.
    He told me not to feed him for about 36 hours to give the GI system a rest. I asked him about chicken & rice and he said that would be a good idea.
    Thanks all!

puglover22 is offline Village Royalty

I'm so glad you got him to the vet and got him diagnosed......things can go bad quick with the young ones.....
    I hope he's feeling like himself again real soon!

Stephanie, pugmom to Louie Livewire, born 3/15/06
    and my 3 angels waiting at the bridge....
    the very special Junior, my pug angel who is doing agility at the rainbow bridge 11/22/91 - 3/13/06
    the very special Danny, my first dog, a Dandie Dinmont Terrier 4/5/70 - 2/10/84
    the very special Paddy, the pug who was loved around the world, who my family had the pleasure and honor of loving for the last 3 years and 5 months 5/1/98 - 8/6/14

Buddy's Mom is offline Village Admiral

Quote Originally Posted by TurbosMom View Post
    The past two days Turbo has also been vomiting. He threw up his breakfast today too :(
    I took Turbo to the vet today, and sure enough they found coccidia. He gave me oral liquid ponazuril to give him for the bacteria.
    He told me not to feed him for about 36 hours to give the GI system a rest. I asked him about chicken & rice and he said that would be a good idea.
    Thanks all!
    Gosh 36 hours?? I would starve in that amount of time. I've heard of 24 hours... I only ever skipped one meal with Buddy, so it was 12 hrs. He had coccidia when I first brought him home as well. Boiled chicken and rice is a good idea, just feed small portions more frequently. Let us know how he does with the medicine.
    Jennifer

Owned by: Buddy (The Pug) 11-22-03,Oscar (The Pug) 01-18-09 - And now Sophie (The Girl Pug) 04-08-10 :) 3 Fabulous Kitties, Wife to Chris and Mom to Ryan! Emma kitty at the Rainbow Bridge 9-11-02 - 3-11-13.

"The animals of the world exist for their own reasons. They were not made for humans any more than blacks were made for whites or women for men." Alice Walker

"Ever consider what pets must think of us? I mean, here we come back from a grocery store with the most amazing haul - chicken, pork, half a cow. They must think we're the greatest hunters on earth!" ~Anne Tyler

Snifter is offline Moderator/Village Merchant

Hope he's better soon.

I've only ever been advised to withhold food for 24 hours. If he's been vomiting for a couple of days his reserves won't be huge. I don't want to go against your vet but I personally would start feeding chicken and rice after 24 hours. However, I am talking about very small portions, quite frequently i.e. a teaspoon every hour or two initially to see if he keeps that down. If he does then the next day increase portion size and decrease number of meals, but still keep it to about 5 or 5 feedings during the day and so on until you are back to normal feeding routine, then switch back to regular food (I personally would also switch back to regular food slowly as well, adding a little into the chicken and rice and gradually increasing proportion of regular food to chicken and rice). This may be over-cautious but I hate having to deal with tummy upsets.

Bella, mummy to Snifter and Toddy!

http://avrilmunson.wordpress.com

shaynapug is offline Village Royalty

Glad that it's an easy fix!!!

Always the first thing I think of with a puppy!
    Diane
    Shayna Pugs
    http://www.midmichiganpugclub.com
    Chairperson of PDCA Rescue Committee

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast