Do pugs molt this time of year?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do pugs molt this time of year?

OzzyBear is offline Village Mayor

Default Do pugs molt this time of year?

So Oz has been scratching quite a bit for the past few days or so. He's only about 6 and half months.

The only real change in his diet was the switch from puppy to adult, which was done a couple weeks ago. And I did start giving him cheerios as a treat while teaching him leash walking. I actually stopped giving them today to see if it gets better.

One thing I've noticed is that he's shedding A LOT more than he has in the past. I mean he's always shed a lot (he's a pug, of course he does) but usually the shedding is kept under control if we brush him once a day. We are using a Zoom Groom on him a few times a day and the fur is just flying out each time...so my question is, do pugs molt in the fall season? And if so, does it make them itch a lot?

I thought that maybe he is still too young for allergies, but he's my first pug, so I'm not sure. He's mostly scratching around his sides. But other places on occassion.

We've also been battling flea problems all summer, but as long as he has the Frontline, there aren't any on him. I've been checking his whole coat and haven't seen one flea since I last applied it.

I'll probably call the vet if it's not better around this time next week. I'm willing to switch food if need be.

Thanks
    The Oz Man

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans" - John Lennon

jj-1962 is offline Village Mayor

I have read, and my sister tells me (who owns a pug) that as puppies they don't shed as much to start with, but on reading, they shed LOTS and LOTS and LOTS. And constantly... one of the worst breeds for shedding!
    As I don't own a pug (til tonight - excited doesn't speak volumes enough) I can't answer the other issues with itching. Hope you get him sorted soon. I'll be on here asking for help no doubt real soon.
    JJ and of course Elsa

Pinkles is offline Village Senator

ohhhhhh don't talk to me about moulting!

Pickle is like a big fat hairy bear at the moment.
    Squig tends to stay the same year round, but both of my female pugs moult/moulted twice a year and I could make a fur coat out of it! 2 even :p I can't say I've ever noticed them itching with it though.
    Last edited by Pinkles; 09-17-2010 at 02:21 AM.
    ....... Maisie ............... Squig................. Pickle .............. Henry
    .(at Rainbow Bridge)

jessybell88 is offline Village Mayor

my little beast sheds constantly I swear I can never wear black, cos I'm always covered in fawn hairyness. If he is itching excessively then its always best to take him to the vet just to be sure as it sounds like it may be an allergy

Snifter is offline Moderator/Village Merchant

Mine shed like crazy usually twice a year. Of course they shed constantly but the big moult is amazing. The zoom groom is good, and much more gentle on them than a furminator but I would still counsel against using it more than once a day. Over-enthusiastic grooming can cause skin damage.

The scratching does sound like something other than moulting, though. I think you are wise to stop the cheerios as I imagine they are full of grain and grain is a big culprit in allergy issues. It could also be fleas if he is sensitive to them. The Frontline cannot stop them jumping on him and biting, however it kills them before they can set up home on him. Have you treated your house for fleas as well as Frontlining him?

Bella, mummy to Snifter and Toddy!

http://avrilmunson.wordpress.com

I have treated the house time and time again. Been doing it since this flea problem manifested. Gonna be doing it again today...Unfortunately a flea bomb isn't an option. There are 5 people living here along with 4 other animals, and it would be impossible for us all to get out for as long as we need to for a flea bomb. The vet had told me to apply the Frontline every 3 weeks instead of every month and that would help the population in here die out faster. She said it was safe to do. It's Frontline PLUS and according to her, there are no harmful chemicals in it.

I'll make sure to cut the Zoom-Grooming down to once a day as well. Thanks!
    The Oz Man

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans" - John Lennon

jstpugginalong is offline Village Admiral

I would be worried about a possible allergic reaction to something, maybe even a grain allergy???? Have you taken him to the Vet? That would be my first action because there are sooooooo many things that can cause discomfort to our Pugs that I don't even begin to second guess anymore LOL! Good luck with the little man!
    Teri
    Mom To
    RosieBearTrooperSadieHoss
    Fabulous Felines Quinn & Mia
    &
    My Beautiful Quarter Horses & Paints

Yeah...allergies! Of course it's allergies! How do these guys develop allergies like this so fast and so young? And why?? Hey...I wanted a pug, I signed up for this, and I love the little man more than words can express. So if allergies come with the puggie package, so be it!

He hasn't been to the vet yet. Like I mentioned before, I'll probably give them a call next week if it doesn't subside. Thank you!!
    The Oz Man

Snifter is offline Moderator/Village Merchant

You can buy flea spray that works for up to a year and you just need to spray in each room and keep pets out for an hour. Might be worth checking out.

Bella, mummy to Snifter and Toddy!

http://avrilmunson.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by Snifter View Post
    You can buy flea spray that works for up to a year and you just need to spray in each room and keep pets out for an hour. Might be worth checking out.
    I do have a flea spray that you can spray anywhere...don't know about the working up to a year thing. Thank you I will look into it.
    The Oz Man

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast