Bladder Stones
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bladder Stones

MegNDrew is offline New to the Village

Default Bladder Stones

My 3 year old black pug, Bradley, spent last night in the Emergency Animal Clinic due to bladder stones. He had emergency surgery to remove the stones as they were too large to get out via a catheter. He has spent the day at our regular vet and I'm sure that they'll provide me with recommendations for a new diet as the food that he has been eating (Purina Beneful) is apparently high in minerals and could have helped to cause the stones. Is there anyone else that has had to change their pug's diet due to stones? If so, what are they eating now? I know that they will probably recommend soft/can food, but that worries me with Bradley's teeth. I don't want him to have dental issues later because he's not getting hard foods. Any ideas/thoughts are appreciated!

ChristineLA is offline Village Mayor

We just had bladder stone surgery on our 11 year old Pug (Yoda) for the second time. He got stones the first time 4.5 years ago and had them removed the same way your Bradley did. Despite diet and providing him extra hydration, the stones came back. Just last week, in fact! This time, they ended up just opening a permanent, larger opening so stones will no longer get stuck at the end of his urethra.

A big part of the question you need to get answers about it what kind of stones Bradley has. Two of the most common types are struvite and calcium oxylate... and they are managed/treated in completely different ways. Your vet will probably send the stones out to a lab to have them analyzed.

We've never given Yoda canned food - he's eaten dry Science Diet U/D for the past few years. We just make sure he drinks extra water - usually by floating a few pieces of dry kibble in a bowl of water. He'll drink more in order to get at those few pieces of food. Our vet never recommended canned food.

Also... I noticed you're in Lynchburg! My husband grew up there - we live near Harrisonburg, VA now.

MuShu Mom is offline Village Royalty

My MuShu had struvite crystals and I was told to take her off of all dry food. I switched her to canned immediately. But I also was concerned about her teeth. My integrative vet told me to start preparing her food (no grains at all and no corn, wheat or soy, or rice). I started preparing her food in a crock pot (with guidelines from the holistic vet). Now I steam her veggies, pulverize in a food processor, give her ground organic turkey (about 3 0z.) or rabbit or venison or duck and sometimes organic kidney or black or navy beans. But I also give her a 3-4 oz RAW turkey neck at dinner time. At 3 years of age, she was due for teeth cleaning and all of the risk that brings (anethstesia) but after about 3 months of the raw turkey necks (NEVER cooked - they splinter!) it totally cleaned the plaque off of her teeth! Now I give her one every other day. You do need to supervise at first. Some doggies just eat too fast, but most know instinctively how to eat raw bones. And they will be in HEAVEN and love you for it! Do some on line reasearch on the BARF diet. Also I give her Solid Gold Berry Balance to help prevent future UTI's and crystals. But you definately need to know which type of stones your puggie had in order to supplement and feed properly. Otherwise, you'll just create the problem all over again. I give a good enzyme product, either Prozymes or Solid Gold Sea Meal that has extra enzymes to help with digestion and also a sardine a day, packed in water, not oil. Or you can give a good Omega - 3 supplement for their skin, paws and nose - so that they don't get so dry. Your puggie will not need as much water if put on the BARF diet. There is an excellent "stickly" on here about preparing your own food. Lots of PV'rs go this route, but it is personal decision that requires lots of research. Good luck, keep us posted!

ON THE EIGHTH DAY, GOD CREATED PUGS !

Hopelessly "Pugged" ,

Cheri

rlevand is offline Village Puppy

This thread seemed to pop up at the perfect time. My Marty just got the bladder stone diagnosis after excessive water consumption brought us to the vet for a UTI test early this week. The vet put him on Royal Cannine Urinary and recommended the wet food to help break down the stones more quickly.

She said that surgery might have to be performed in a few weeks if the stones don't shrink on their on (if they are the calcium kind). Right now we're going to wait and see and HOPEFULLY avoid an invasive surgery. That being said, Christine, what kind of surgery did Yoda have with the catheter? My vet made it sound like the bladder would have to be cut open to remove the stones. Did your vet just, ummm, "suck" them out through the urethra?

Rachel

snowsprite is offline Village Mayor

My Tucker has bladder stone surgery in July. He had a stones lodged in his urethra, and the vet had to incise both his bladder and his urethra to remove the stones. I had just adopted him from a shelter, and have no idea how he developed them or how long he'd had them. The vet had already recommended science diet, but I have switched him to Blue Buffalo. To get him to drink more in the hotter weather, I would stir a small amount of yogurt into a couple of cups of water. I also give him yogurt-water with blueberries that I freeze in ice cube trays...he likes to chew on these. I don't do it so often now, as he seems to be drinking more water on his own.

I'm hoping his stones were caused by confinement and poor diet, rather than him possibly having a tendency to form them. I guess time will tell.

ChristineLA is offline Village Mayor

Quote Originally Posted by rlevand View Post
    That being said, Christine, what kind of surgery did Yoda have with the catheter? My vet made it sound like the bladder would have to be cut open to remove the stones. Did your vet just, ummm, "suck" them out through the urethra?
    Rachel
    Hey Rachel... the surgery Yoda had is called a urethostomy. Basically, in male dogs, stones usually get stuck in the urethra as it passes narrow, bony "os penis". What our vet did was to create a surgical opening near Yoda's scrotum. This allows him to pass the stone right out before they get to the place stones typically get stuck. Yoda will still get stones regularly (he has both calcium oxylate and struvite), but they should be able to pass on their own. If he does ever end up getting a stone stuck again, the area of his urethra left open by this surgery is stretchy/flexible enough to allow the vet to go in with tiny surgical forceps and pull the stone out or flush it out with a catheter and saline. The surgery is kind of what the vet calls a permanent fix.

Tinker's mom is offline Village Royalty

Hi, Tinker has calcium oxylate stones. She has had surgery twice.The third bout of stones we were able to flush out. The vet gave her fluids under her skin for several days in a row. The villagers here on PV helped me tremendously.What we are currently doing is using bottled water, putting water in a separate dish 4 times a day with a pinch of tuna or the tip of a teaspoon of baby food (pureed chicken is her fav).We are feeding Royal Canine urinary S/O prescribed by the vet.I found out online that asparagus prevents calcium oxylate from forming so she gets asparagus everyday at one meal and other veggies with her other meal.We also take a urine specimen in every month to check the specific gravity and to see if she is forming any crystals.Since we have increased her water intake her specific gravity is better than ever and she has not formed any crystals. It's a frustrating problem but you will find out what works for you. Good luck! (she crews her Nylabone everyday and so far her teeth are fine)

+ Reply to Thread