How much should I feed my 5 month old pug?
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How much should I feed my 5 month old pug?

juliab is offline Village Puppy

Default How much should I feed my 5 month old pug?

Pugsley is 5 months old, and I was feeding him Purina One Puppy chow 3 times a day, 1/3 cup each time.

He's about 18 lbs.

Recently he refused to eat that brand of dog food so I switched him to Avoderm Chicken Meal & Brown Rice. The directions say to feed him 2 3/4 , but don't say how many times a day. I'm assuming once considering the large amount. Well, it seems like a lot to feed a 5 month old puppy, but I could be wrong. That's why I'm asking for help!

dmoya is offline Village Puppy

Two to three times a day, probably the directions for the Avoderm is too much. Maybe 1/2 cup per feeding if 3x's, but it also depends on the body structure. maybe consult your vet would be the best way to go. Glad to hear you changed from Purina. Not the best food on the market. Maybe look into Evo puppy it is a great food, but Protor and Gamble just bought them and in a few years will change the formula. At least that's what i was told. Also P and G still uses animals for testing, word on the street anyway. Wellness is anoother good brand, several out there are great food choices. Avoderm over the years has changed and don't know much about them now. They didn't use to use meat protein source before.

I was thinking about feeding him 1/2 cup in the morning and at night time. He seems to like it when I fed him earlier, so that's a relief. Avoderm is what the workers at Petsmart recommended me to buy, it's the "natural" kind of food so I thought I'd give it a try.

Wally 'n' Leto is offline Pugzu Guru

Leto is 18 lbs (20 months old) and he gets 1/2 cup Fromm's kibble twice a day. Don't know if this would be enough for your pup. I would keep close tabs on his weight for gain or loss.

The amount listed on all the packages I have seen are for the whole day, then you just divide into however many servings you give.
    Heather, Mommy to skinkid Toby and furkids Sir Wally of Pugzu and Duke Leto Prancypants the Fragrant.

Also Mom to Just Dakota the Canadian X and Auntie to Radar the Paint; Seed Shoveler Extraordinaire to rescue budgies Spud, Minty, and Wendy.

Main squeeze of high school sweetie Scot.

Quote Originally Posted by Wally 'n' Leto View Post
    Leto is 18 lbs (20 months old) and he gets 1/2 cup Fromm's kibble twice a day. Don't know if this would be enough for your pup. I would keep close tabs on his weight for gain or loss.

The amount listed on all the packages I have seen are for the whole day, then you just divide into however many servings you give.

Leto is 18 lbs and 20 months?!?!?!

Pugsley is the same weight but he's 5 months! Woah! should I be worried?

Wally 'n' Leto is offline Pugzu Guru

If you post a pic we could tell: one from the side and one from above give the best view! :) Pugsley may just be big boned or heavyset. Leto is very leggy.
    Heather, Mommy to skinkid Toby and furkids Sir Wally of Pugzu and Duke Leto Prancypants the Fragrant.

Also Mom to Just Dakota the Canadian X and Auntie to Radar the Paint; Seed Shoveler Extraordinaire to rescue budgies Spud, Minty, and Wendy.

Main squeeze of high school sweetie Scot.

Kat
    Kat is offline Village Governor

Ruby is 10 months old and weighs 15 pounds. I feed her 1/3 of a cup twice a day and that is the perfect amount for her.

+ Reply to Thread