Discharge on penis
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Discharge on penis

remymax is offline Village Puppy

Default Discharge on penis

My male two year old has a greenish yellow discharge on his penis. An infection?

tall grass pugs is offline Village Orb Weaver Advocate

I am guessing you are seeing 'smegma', but running him by the Vet's office for a quick peak isn't the worst thing come morning. Is he neutered? Time to schedule that as well. If you watch the average dog for very long, you will see them lick themselves clean, but a cobby body and a short neck, zip muzzle breed is going to be hard pressed to do that.
    Last edited by tall grass pugs; 10-10-2010 at 07:19 PM.

Pugpillow is offline Village Royalty

Could well be an infection. You can test the pH of his urine to find out. Go to the hardware store and buy litmus papers (they use them for testing soil) or ask your pharmacist if they have plain "pH papers" (they come in a roll in small box and cost about $10 or $12 - I can't get them locally anymore but you can buy them online here: Genuine Health pH PAPER - 1 ROLL - pH BALANCE - National Nutrition). If his urine tests between 6 and 7.5, he should be fine. If it is higher than that (a darker litmus result), he probably has an infection possibly leading to struvite crystals. You can tell for sure by taking a urine sample to the vet and having them do a urinalysis test (they look at it under the microscope and should be able to tell you immediately).
    "You cannot afford to subject your animals, or your children, to medical interventions that you do not understand. The belief system upon which the conventional medical model is founded is so faulty, so corrupt and so dangerous that you simply cannot afford to follow blindly." Catherine O’Driscoll http://www.whale.to/vaccine/driscoll1.html

Hilary & the Pugpillow Gang: Rescues: Denver (10), Tina (7), Murdoch (5) and chihuahua puppy Maximus Spartacus. Always loving my angel-girl Mei-Ling (1994-2009), my cutie-patootie Kim-Soo (1995-2010), my precious Daisy-Bo (1998?-2006), my sweet boyfriend Jake (1997-2010), my little black beauty Betsy (1995-2010), my sweet old grumpy man Gooey (1996-2011), and my sweet gentleman Farnsworth (1998-2012) at the Bridge.

remymax is offline Village Puppy

He is neutered.

crazypugmom is offline Village Admiral

My boy Taz used to have greenish pus coming out of his penis area a few times a year. The doctor gave me some liquid to flush out the area. I had to use a syringe (without a needle) and squeeze into the sheath then massage the area then try to push the excess fluid out which helps to clean out the sheath. Thank goodness my boy was a weirdo because he would just sit in my lap and let me do this to him. Mostly dogs who have not been altered get this issue, but dogs who have been altered can get it too.
    Leslye, Chyna, Tinker, Ruffy and husband Tim &
    our angels Pugsly and Taz waiting for us in heaven

Northern Illinois Pug Rescue & Adoption

www.northernillinoispugrescue.org

http://www.dogster.com/family/766626

shaynapug is offline Village Royalty

It could be nothing, as Ellen said....could be a UTI...but it also could be an infection inside the sheath itself. Yellow is normal..... a little green may or may not be a sign of infection. To be on the safe side, I think I'd have him checked.
    Diane
    Shayna Pugs
    http://www.midmichiganpugclub.com
    Chairperson of PDCA Rescue Committee

GotPugs is offline Village Senator

My boys have that once in awhile and my vet says it's "very" normal for boys.

pugaddiction is offline Village Admiral

My dalmation used to get that also, it was nothing, he lived to a ripe old age of 13. But like everyone says if your not sure, take a trip to the vet.
    GINA

+ Reply to Thread