Fully grown pug size
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fully grown pug size

OllieButton is offline Village Puppy

Default Fully grown pug size

Hello All,
    Our lovely boy Ollie turned a year old in September so he is now 14 months old and doing great. He is very active and in good shape ( has the tummy in place etc) but we're just a tad worried that he is a bit on the small side compared to most pugs we've seen and his parents. He's very proportionate but has the puppy-ness about him still- most fully grown pugs have this gravitas and then tend to be...well thicker then him. Will be still grow? Is there cause for concern?

shaynapug is offline Village Royalty

A lot depends on breeding.

Even with really good breedings which are fairly consistent there are variations.

Ben is shown......You can see him on my site: home
    He weighs about 19 lbs.....

His littermate was smaller and doesn't have the bone that Ben has.....He only weighs about 14-15 lbs! But he's a cutie!!!

This is Tang at about a year old. The boys are 16 mos on Monday!
    Diane
    Shayna Pugs
    http://www.midmichiganpugclub.com
    Chairperson of PDCA Rescue Committee

jj-1962 is offline Village Mayor

I think that its down to breeding. I know that Elsa's mum Martha is very small for a pug, but Dad is large. Her pups were a mix, Elsa being one of the biggest alongside one of her brothers, but the other 4 (2 dogs and 2 bitches) were considerably smaller...

... she had someone come to look at the remaining 2 bitches a while back and left without - obviously a breeder as if he wanted a pet pug who could resist them? It must have been their size that put him off - I was rather partial to the tiniest one too! (They have all been sold now to good homes).
    JJ and of course Elsa

Thank you both for your feedback. We saw both of Ollie's parents ( show dogs in Thailand) and they were the same height but definitely stockier. It's possible he was small in the litter as we only saw one of his litter mates and she was his size. I guess I'm just wondering if he will still grow and if we are feeding him enough. He's very healthy and well adjusted and we adore him even if he stays this size so it's not a vanity issue for us, just that he is so much smaller then his parents.
    Would it be fair to say they still grow after 1 year?

Hi Diane,
    Ollie is more Tang's size, i.e. he's not as lovely and stocky in the chest as your boy Ben- both your lads are lovely! Wish I could send you a pic of Ollie

luluthepug is offline Village Governor

Our new rescue girl, Lulu is about 15lbs. Petite! She eats 1/2c of Halo in the morning and at night. She's 8 too, so all done growing!

Kara & Lulu
    I dip my pen in the blackest ink, because I'm not afraid of falling into my inkpot.
    ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

owned by Walnut and the Baby Buddha aka Wally & Baby
    Penny (big, black, fluffy cat)
    our guardian angel, Lulu,
    and forever young kitties Max, Clara & Bessie

Thanks Kara, that helps! And my goodness is your little girl lovely! I can't imagine her needing rescuing but am so glad she found you. It's unbelievably how gorgeous and distinct looking each one is, isn't it?

KismetPuggies is offline Village VP

Baby Jethro is 18 months old this month, and while he is done growing height and length, he's still filling out across his shoulders. Don't worry about him if he's a bit on the smaller side. 14 pounds is within breed standard... I'd like to have a breed standard dog.. my Abigail is my smallest adult dog and if she's not over weight (and she's ALWAYS over weight) she weighs in at 17 pounds on the nose.... that girl's weight moves up and down as much as any woman's does!
    Kayte and Crew

Kismet Kennels, Exclusively Pugs

Snifter is offline Moderator/Village Merchant

Yes, he will probably fill out more. Mine stopped filling out and chunking up at around 2 years.

Bella, mummy to Snifter and Toddy!

http://avrilmunson.wordpress.com

+ Reply to Thread