No appetite, stomach is gurgling?
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: No appetite, stomach is gurgling?

lqcorsa is offline New to the Village

Default No appetite, stomach is gurgling?

Hello all pug and dog partners alike!

We have a little 8 month old dachshund who we initially fed wet food to. We also would mix our 5 year old pug's dry food into some wet food just to spoil her a little, and to see if it would help with her shedding. Ever since switching our male dachshund on to dry food, and switching our female pug back on to her original food, she's really struggled with having an appetite, which is VERY unusual for her - she used to inhale her food like a vacuum .

That hasn't had me too concerned so far, but today her stomach is making some very strange noises.

She's refused to eat anything today, even by hand. When I ask her if she's hungry (which she knows how to respond to), she doesn't respond at all, as if she really could care less about eating. I let her outside a few hours ago, and saw her munching on a few blades of grass. When I let her back in, her stomach began making these loud gurgling noises that are very frequent. It's been going on for a few hours now.

Does my pug just have an upset stomach? What can I do for her; does anyone know?

ZoeZoesmom is offline Village Royalty

Poor little dear may have an upset tummy. Is she peeing and pooping? You may want to try a little rice with chicken or boiled burger. If you see any other changes a trip to the vet would be in order. Hope she bounces back soon......is she drinking water? You do not want her to get dehydrated.

I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.

~Maya Angelou

@}-;-Dawn, Momma to Zoe and Diesel....my heart and soul
    Missing my big boy...^Tuxedo^, Mommy's Landseer
    Gizmo my purr-baby, ^Dega^ , my furry angel watching over me from The Rainbow Bridge

shaynapug is offline Village Royalty

If she's not eating by tonight or tomorrow, she needs to get into the vet!!!

Sending positive thoughts your way!
    Diane
    Shayna Pugs
    http://www.midmichiganpugclub.com
    Chairperson of PDCA Rescue Committee

Wally 'n' Leto is offline Pugzu Guru

Wally's got a tricky tummy that does that from time to time - the gurgles wake us up in the next room sometimes. Sometimes it passes and he eats the next day, sometimes it doesn't. Missing more than 2 meals means a trip to the vet for him. I put a little chicken broth into his water if I'm afraid he's not drinking, and that makes sure he keeps hydrated.
    Heather, Mommy to skinkid Toby and furkids Sir Wally of Pugzu and Duke Leto Prancypants the Fragrant.

Also Mom to Just Dakota the Canadian X and Dharma the Paint; Seed Shoveler Extraordinaire to rescue budgies Spud, Minty, and Wendy.

Main squeeze of high school sweetie Scot.

lihuesue is offline Village Senator

I wonder if it's a stomach bug going around? I was sick a week ago Sunday... it was awful... I was gone for most of the day today, from 8 am to about 10:30 pm tonight, when I got home, my aunt told me that my lil Pug girl didn't really want to eat and her belly was making grumbling noises too. I got her to eat some boiled chicken from my hand, but she really wasn't interested. I did see her pp tonight... and if she doesn't eat her breakfast in the AM, I'm making her an appointment and will be taking her to the vet tomorrow.

Where was I today... well, where have I been in a while... I haven't been posting here... Been reading posts... but I've been busy... I was laid off on the 28th and had to move out of my small studio loft apartment to come back home... My puppers were glad to see me home once again. There isn't any work for me here, so I have to travel to the Seattle area and it's too far for me to come home everyday, so I work 4 10's and come home Thursday nights. They expect more work early next year and want me to come back, which is good. The engineering world always had it's ups and downs, but this has been nuts for the past year or so... I was laid off twice! Once last September (after working at one company for 3 years) and now... but I knew this position was only for 3 months, but turned into 5 months, so I'm not complaining.

I drove back over today to see my dentist. I found him while working over there and I think he's the best I've been to and I'm not giving him up. He had to seat a crown. It came in on my last day of work and I couldn't get there... So, I made my appointment for today. I'm glad I did because I was sick the weekend I came home... both ends.. it was awful... took me about 4 days to recover... I'm wondering if my lil girl got something like that. She hasn't left my side since I got home, she was with me though my time of need... I had the chills and she kept me warm... she also kept me warm when I started sweating...

Anyway, I made my dental appointment for today... Did the 3 1/2 hour drive... got my crown and went shopping... I wanted to go over near Seattle today and wanted to go to Barnes & Noble in the UW Village... Kat Von D was there signing her new book. I got to met her and Rooftop today. She is very, very tall, a beautiful woman and extremely nice too! It was a good day... I know some people here know who Kat is... and for those who don't, she has a show on the History Channel called LA Ink. She does amazing tattoo's. I personally don't have any, but the work she does is a one of a kind art form. I have to give her a lot of credit for getting as far as she has. She has a lot of natural talent. I admire women who can pull their weight in a "man's world".

Sorry for going off track here... I wanted to try to catch up... I'll post again in the AM and let everyone know if my lil girl ate... or what the vet says.
    Last edited by lihuesue; 11-09-2010 at 04:02 AM.

Russ is offline Village Royalty

Tilly has this issue, and has for 6 years. beware the gas when it clears up. I give her 5mg famotidine (an antacid) if I can get her to take it. Usually if I can pick up the onset before she loses interest in food it's a very mild episode. It was getting to the point that every 3 weeks she'd have an episode. I switched her food to ziwipeak and she rarely has a problem now. Her last one was this past Sunday, but...Saturday she had table scraps of popeys chicken(spicy). not good! I put the pill inside a piece of cheese wrapped in a bit of ham, set it next to her bowl and around noon she ate it and by evening she was feeling better.

If there are any other symptoms go to your vet, it's probably a good idea to go anyway to figure out if anything else if going on, but probably just upset stomach.

lihuesue is offline Village Senator

My lil Suli is doing fine this morning. She ate like a champ! Like she was starving. I gave her the regular meal that she insisted upon since her elongated soft palate surgery last April... Evangers Chicken and Brown Rice kibble with some cut up boiled chicken breasts. The first two weeks after her surgery, it was just the soft chicken breasts. After her follow up appointment two weeks after her surgery, her surgeon said she could have her kibble again. She was all healed, he used a laser.

+ Reply to Thread