Is cottage cheese OK for diarrhea cure?
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Is cottage cheese OK for diarrhea cure?

Roseys Mom is offline Village Mayor

Default Is cottage cheese OK for diarrhea cure?

Hi,

Rosey has a bout of diarrhea....ugh! She has a sensitive tummy and gets this occasionally. Is cottage cheese OK to give with the boiled chicken/rice mixture?
    Wasn't sure about the dairy......

MuShu Mom is offline Village Royalty

The founder of Solid Gold pet foods says in her products booklet to give a dog a half of a baked potato for diarrhea. Works for my MuShu. I think some people might also suggest 100 % canned pumpkin. But I don't think dairy is a good idea. Gives my MuShu terrible gas but I know a lot of PV'rs give their puggies dairy. Not sure about using it for diarrhea. I would try to keep a log of foods and treats you've given Rosey and then also log when she gets diarrhea. You may be able to pin point the cause if it is food related. Has the vet given you any guidance? Has Rosey had any antibiotics? If so, they kill the good as well as the bad bacteria in the digestive system and need to be replaced with a good probiotic. (Just like with people.) That could be why she still has a sensitive tummy. She may need some good bacteria to help digest her foods. Sometimes even if there hasn't been an antibiotic given, there could be an imbalance in the digestive tract. It can be maddening trying to solve the mystery. Look forward to other PV'rs advice!

ON THE EIGHTH DAY, GOD CREATED PUGS !

Hopelessly "Pugged" ,

Cheri

Quote Originally Posted by MuShu Mom View Post
    The founder of Solid Gold pet foods says in her products booklet to give a dog a half of a baked potato for diarrhea. Works for my MuShu. I think some people might also suggest 100 % canned pumpkin. But I don't think dairy is a good idea. Gives my MuShu terrible gas but I know a lot of PV'rs give their puggies dairy. Not sure about using it for diarrhea. I would try to keep a log of foods and treats you've given Rosey and then also log when she gets diarrhea. You may be able to pin point the cause if it is food related. Has the vet given you any guidance? Has Rosey had any antibiotics? If so, they kill the good as well as the bad bacteria in the digestive system and need to be replaced with a good probiotic. (Just like with people.) That could be why she still has a sensitive tummy. She may need some good bacteria to help digest her foods. Sometimes even if there hasn't been an antibiotic given, there could be an imbalance in the digestive tract. It can be maddening trying to solve the mystery. Look forward to other PV'rs advice!
    WOW! I never thought about that! She was given an antibiotic before all of this started! After running blood work and a thorough exam, the vet gave her a shot of antibiotics and she also was given steroid pills for a few days. I'll call the vet on Monday and ask about the probiotic! Thanks for writing and giving me some advice! I'd love to hear from others, too! :) I used to have the Solid Gold booklet....I'm going to go look and see if I have it....

6 Beautiful Pugs is offline Village Caretaker of the Old & Broken

Probiotics can be purchased over the counter at most good pet stores....buyer beware, i don't think 90% of them (dog or hunman) have what they say in them. Live culture plain yoghurt is also a good source of probiotics.

I use Nzymes, and they sell a probiotic powder.

BacPak Plus - Probiotic and Digestive Enzyme Blend | NZMES.COM - NZYMES.COM - a Division of Biopet Inc.

Take care,
    Lisa
    In a gentle way, you can shake the world.

- Mohandas Gandhi

Thanks for the link! I was just sitting here searching online for probiotics. I think I'm going to start a new thread and see what other PV'ers use, too! Thanks again!

shaynapug is offline Village Royalty

I also have one from Nature's Farmacy.

Until I found this, I would go to the Health Food store with a fridge in it...and get the non dairy multi dopholis for my guys when I gave antibiotics!

Mine get the digestive stuff daily...and I up it with meds or if they get the runs etc.
    Diane
    Shayna Pugs
    http://www.midmichiganpugclub.com
    Chairperson of PDCA Rescue Committee

+ Reply to Thread