Help with gassy dog
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with gassy dog

CountryPug is offline Village Pug Pony & Brittany Wrangler

Red face Help with gassy dog

I'm wondering if anyone could recommend some good digestive enzymes or something that would help Roxy with her really bad gas

I've had Roxy since she was about 8 weeks old and she's been gassy from day one. She's had some health issues this past year and was diagnosed with Cushing's, but since starting her meds, no change in the gas problem.

I did switch her food recently and am in the process of switching it again to Origen, but the gas problem started before that. The pugs are doing great on the Origen so I'm hoping she will do well on it too. The sales person said that the higher fat content could cause gas....I don't see how she could possibly get any gassier than she already is

Her gas is so bad that she could flush Bin Laden from his cave and put an end to the war in Afganistan.....seriously, I've never met a person or dog that has gas that bad. She can fart while walking the entire length of my kitchen and stink up the entire room....one fart after another

She goes back to the vet in a few months for another blood test and if we can wait that long, I plan to ask her about it.

Christa, Mom to Toby, Kelsey, Summer & Ellie Mae

missing Riley and Roxy, who are at the bridge
    and my precious Bella 11-2-07 - 05-6-12

Wonka & Nilla is offline Village Dancing Jitterpug

I'm sorry, but I couldn't help but laugh at your description!!! I can totally picture Roxy walking through the kitchen, toot-toot-toot all the way.

Here's a recent PV thread with lots of good information: https://www.pugvillage.com/forum/pug-...upplement.html

And here's a great article from Whole Dog Journal: Probiotics for Dogs - Whole Dog Journal Article

I hope you find a solution, we used to have a big dog with "clear the room" gas and found out it was food issue for him. Until we got him on the right food though, wow, it would make your eyes water! So, maybe the Origen will do the trick?
    Village Moderator

Mom to Miss Jelly Bean "Beanie" Licorice Pug and Noodles the Frenchie
    Forever in our hearts:
    Miss Nilla Sassafras Pug August 17, 2002 to April 19, 2018
    And my Heart-Dog...
    Wonka the Dancing Pug, CGC, W-FD, W-TFD.
    Februrary 11, 2005 to May 10, 2020. Miss you, sweet boy!

Thanks for the links Amy, I hope we find a solution. This morning Nick rolled right off the couch onto the floor....he said Roxy blew him right off the couch

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

ahuff is offline Village Mayor

OMG I feel your pain! My Beefy is a notorious little "crop-duster" as we like to call him. He often farts and has to leave the room because it smells so bad he can't even stand it! His have a tendency to linger as well. Gives me goosebumps just thinking about it! I'm definitely going to check out that link for the probiotics...

I'm sure we could combine the gas of our pugs into some type of biological weapon! hehe
    "For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.”

KismetPuggies is offline Village VP

OMGsh I'm just dying with laughter... in fact, all five of my pugs just woke up and looked at me, because I'm laughing so hard! My dogs (especially my two oldest) can clear a room ..... When my females are pregnant, we live with air fresheners on all the time.

I will say, since changing to a no grain food, our gas issues have eased considerably... also, a bit of canned pumpkin and/or plain yogurt works wonders!

Best of luck with your Roxy!
    Kayte and Crew

Kismet Kennels, Exclusively Pugs

6 Beautiful Pugs is offline Village Caretaker of the Old & Broken

Dogs fed raw have little gas in my observations, those fed no grain food seem to have less gas as well, but not like the raw-fed, who are almost gasless...and their farts (and poops) don't smell much either.

If you put her on raw or grain-free and still notice farts that smell bad it may be that her gut is not as efficient anymore and gas builds up. Nutrients aren't being absorbed well and they ferment and cause gas and stinky poops. My Bailey (15-16) goes through bouts of this from time to time. it just sucks to get old.

Take care,
    Lisa
    In a gentle way, you can shake the world.

- Mohandas Gandhi

She's been on a grain-free diet and that didn't help. I'm halfway there with switching her to Origen, poops are a little more soft, but I'll give it some time and see. I really do think she's having some digestive issues as well as her health issues, I ordered her some probiotics and digestive enzymes hoping that will help. I will keep the raw diet in mind and try that as a last resort.

gemayer is offline Village Princess Puggy Pants

I just got a great laugh macie could not figure out why I was crying but I was just laughing so hard so to hear about the problem I give macie pumpkin and plain yougurt seems to help although she can sometimes run herself out of a room

diesels.mom is offline Village VP

we got our pugs "Dog Smog Remedy" by Happytails. It's for bad smells coming from either end. It has digestive enzymes in it to try and get rid of bum odor.
    Our boys both have bad farts sometimes but I have noticed since we started using it they don't smell so bad.
    You just put about 6 sprays into their water and it helps a lot!

bnwebm is offline Village VP

It's also the nature of the breed. Pugs are notorious for scarfing food, along with air. Digestive enzymes do help a bit though. Oddly enough, Winston is less of a fartmonster when he's eating broccoli!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast