Paw licking
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Paw licking

kristin12 is offline Village Puppy

Default Paw licking

Both of my pugs are constantly licking their paws. My vet said they had allergies, so we changed their diet to see if anything changed, and nothing happened. He suggested Atopica, but I know that it is an expensive medication, requiring a pill every day. Does anyone have any suggestions for me? I've heard something about Benadryl before...

Snifter is offline Moderator/Village Merchant

To what did you change their diet? First thing I would do would be to go totally grain free and use a protein source they haven't had before. It can take a while for changes in diet to show results so you may not have waited long enough.

I would consider bathing the feet weekly in Malaseb shampoo and drying thoroughly - this is what our dermatologist recommended.

Bella, mummy to Snifter and Toddy!

http://avrilmunson.wordpress.com

6 Beautiful Pugs is offline Village Caretaker of the Old & Broken

Some of mine lick their paws (Jake, Bailey, Cleo) and they are fed raw or Ziwipeak, which are excellent grain-free and low carb foods, they licked their paws when I got them and continue to do so, especially when settling down before sleep at night or at naptime. I think it's just a habit and soothes them, like a human who bites their nails or has some other habit that relaxes them.

Take care,
    Lisa
    In a gentle way, you can shake the world.

- Mohandas Gandhi

I switched them from Natural Balance to EVO...I thought the licking was just something they liked to do too, like cleaning themselves, but the vet reminded me that they're not cats, and they don't instinctually clean themselves. I will try that shampoo-thanks for the suggestion!

While it's ALWAYS good to switch a dog to better foods, just don't be surprised if the licking habit doesn't go away.

You might try a raw diet and a course of nzymes ( NZYMES.COM: Official Site! Natural Supplements for Pets and People ) which work especially well for allergy/yeast dogs.

Take care,
    Lisa

- Mohandas Gandhi

GotPugs is offline Village Senator

How long ago did you switch foods? It takes a full 90 days for all the allergens to get out of their systems.

MYPUGGIES is offline Village Mayor

I've had many dogs in my life that licked their paws. Both of my pugs now lick there paws too. I had one vet many years ago tell me it was due to allergies so I did everything he suggested (change to better food, pills, washing the feet) and he still licked his feet so I gave up. They didn't get any sores on them, no bald spots.. no infections so I just let him go ahead. It was always during when he was relaxing so I figured he just enjoyed it. Don't get too frusterated if you can't find out why she's licking her feet. She may just like to do it. :)

Audra, Myla and Miko

We switched their food over 90 days ago, so if it was going to help them, it should've by now. Their licking doesn't bother me, I just never wanted it to be because they had itchy feet,and they were uncomfortable. Glad to hear this is something common, and not to be too worried.. Thanks for the replies :)

MuShu Mom is offline Village Royalty

I think sometimes the paw licking can be due to water retention. I read about it in a Sold Gold product pamphlet. I believe they recommended Sea Meal for a couple of months. Probably N-Zymes would be even better. Wish I had known about it back when I had a pound rescue Corgi who constantly licked her paws. I could just tell she was uncomfortable but I just didn't know how to help her and I didn't own a computer at the time. The vets were useless. Maybe you could read up on the info on line at Solid Gold. Couldn't hurt!

ON THE EIGHTH DAY, GOD CREATED PUGS !

Hopelessly "Pugged" ,

Cheri

i do think it starts as an issue, like allergies, etc., but then I think it soon becomes a habit and some are just compulsive lickers. My Cleo will lick her paws, and Sammy's ears , Sammy's peepee, Sammy's side...and anyone else who will put up with it.

Take care,
    lisa

- Mohandas Gandhi

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast