Itchy skin but no fleas!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Itchy skin but no fleas!

Monster is offline New to the Village

Default Itchy skin but no fleas!

My pug, Monster, will not stop itching. He rubs his back on anything that will scratch him but I can't find a flea on him. Giving him a bath with moisturizer doesn't see to cure the itching. Is there a type of shampoo or conditioner I should use to soothe the itching and get rid of it?

Pugs-R-MandyBait is offline Village Royalty

Itchy comes from the inside out ... sounds like you have a food allergy or yeast problem going on.
    Pugs are very sensitive to a lot of grains and some have issues with common proteins.
    Swapping to a high quality, low or no grain food would be my first step, not another bath.
    Anne

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2050/2197629331_a45c4c5a9f_t.jpg ... & Mandy - The alleged Vicious Beast)

Dynamic Adventures of the DappleDuo

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should just relax and get used to the idea.
    -Robert A. Heinlein

6 Beautiful Pugs is offline Village Caretaker of the Old & Broken

How old is Monster. My guess is food allergies which are extremely common in pugs, however there are numerous other conditions that can cause itching. Is there any hair loss or thinning, raw spots, bumps, etc.? has he had any other health problems or been on any medications recently?

What brand of food and treats is he getting? Any table scraps, etc.?

Take care,
    Lisa
    In a gentle way, you can shake the world.

- Mohandas Gandhi

Monster is offline New to the Village

Thanks for the info. I've been reading up on allergies in pugs and his symptoms fit. Monster will be 2 years old in March and he hasn't been on meds or anything recently. He does have a thinning spot of hair right above where is tail curls onto his back. That is the place he always rubs on with anything he can find. Food wise, he is eating Kibbles and Bits and canned Pedigree. He gets an occasional scrap of chicken breast or bacon. With that being said, I did some research on foods and there are 3 brands that I am interested in. Nature's Recipe, Blue Buffalo Wilderness, and Avoderm. I figured I would try Avoderm first because he does like avocado. :) I got some dry food and canned food for the morning so I am hoping this will help him out with his itchies!

Thanks!
    Shera

GotPugs is offline Village Senator

Kibbles and Bits and Pedigree or very low quality foods with lots of allergens in them. A food switch to a higher quality food would be the best thing you could do. Remember it takes a full 90 days for all the allergens to get out of their little systems.

6 Beautiful Pugs is offline Village Caretaker of the Old & Broken

Dog Food Reviews | Dog Food Ratings

Look at the ingredients on the four and five star foods and choose the best you can afford. Raw is ideal.

Just for fun, look up Pedigree and Kibbles & Bits.

Take care,
    Lisa
    In a gentle way, you can shake the world.

- Mohandas Gandhi

Pug'd is offline Village Puppy

We've had good luck with Iams Lamb & Rice kibble in the red bag.
    Home Page
    I think even with happy and healththy skin, pugs seem a bit itchy in the crook of their tails.
    ~Charlie~Honey~Loki~Dodger~Toby~Penny~

+ Reply to Thread