stenotic nare surgery question
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: stenotic nare surgery question

lotusseeds is offline Village VP

Default stenotic nare surgery question

If your dog has had stenotic nare correction, what was the recovery like, how much was the surgery and do you have picts of your pug with the correction done? I just want to see what it looks like and maybe to postpone dumpling's spay and do both surgeries at once.
    TY

6 Beautiful Pugs is offline Village Caretaker of the Old & Broken

Yes, do both surgeries at once!

I have hadseveral fosters have it done, including Rox(y) who is with me now. Recovery is very easy, they put absorbable sutures in. Not sure on costs as rescue has paid for all of them.

Take care,
    Lisa
    In a gentle way, you can shake the world.

- Mohandas Gandhi

Three D's is offline Village Admiral

Our vet recommended having both surgeries at once too. Daphne seemed to recover quite easily. Our biggest concern was how to keep her from running and jumping around without having her crated all the time. She didn't try to bother her stiches from her spay or rub her nose on anything (she didn't have stiches for the nares - our local university, that has a well known vet school, did a study and found that the healing process was better without stitches - not sure if their surgery technique was different when not using stitches). We did put a todler onsie on her (with a hole cut out for her tail) to cover her stitches just in case and that also kept her from running around for a bit - she seemed to think she couldn't move when wearing clothes,! It was kind of funny, actually, but I didn't have the heart to leave it on her for long because she seemed so confused by it! I don't think I have any pictures of her nares right after the surgery, but if I find some I'll come back to post them.
    Donna
    with Dave, and pugs Daphne and Olive

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Three D's View Post
    Our vet recommended having both surgeries at once too. Daphne seemed to recover quite easily. Our biggest concern was how to keep her from running and jumping around without having her crated all the time. She didn't try to bother her stiches from her spay or rub her nose on anything (she didn't have stiches for the nares - our local university, that has a well known vet school, did a study and found that the healing process was better without stitches - not sure if their surgery technique was different when not using stitches). We did put a todler onsie on her (with a hole cut out for her tail) to cover her stitches just in case and that also kept her from running around for a bit - she seemed to think she couldn't move when wearing clothes,! It was kind of funny, actually, but I didn't have the heart to leave it on her for long because she seemed so confused by it! I don't think I have any pictures of her nares right after the surgery, but if I find some I'll come back to post them.
    I don't need pictures of right after the surgery, I just want to see what an altered nose looks like, just pure curiosity.
    Thanks for the info!

6 Beautiful Pugs is offline Village Caretaker of the Old & Broken

Here is a picture of one of our rescues who had the surgery done, you can still see the purple sutures:

Take care,
    Lisa
    Rugbysmom and ODemPugz like this.
    In a gentle way, you can shake the world.

- Mohandas Gandhi

Thank you Lisa!

Three D's is offline Village Admiral

Here is a recent picture of Daphne, where you can see her nose pretty well. Just to give you another pic where the nose is completely healed (she's 2 1/2 now and had her nares done at 7 months).
    Donna
    with Dave, and pugs Daphne and Olive

roccosmama is offline Village Puppy

When I had Rocco at the vet on Friday the vet mentioned we may need to have this done once he is older...his little nose holes are pretty small. She said not to worry we will just watch it and see how he does as he gets older. WOW Pugs are trickly little guys! I guess this is a quite common thing based on other posts. Great Info!

lihuesue is offline Village Senator

Yes, have both surgeries done at the same time. Also, ask them to scope Dumpling's soft palate. She may be a bit young, but while they have her under, get it checked. It's nothing more than getting a real good look and it's almost impossible to do on a Pug that is not under.

My Suli had her soft palate trimmed back, evertated saccules removed and her naires done at the same time. She was really starting to have trouble breathing, but now (almost 2 years later) she's still breathing ok. She was 8 years old when she the surgery.

I try to tell every Pug owner that if their pupper is having surgery and will be under, get the soft palate checked. At least then you will know if you may have problems in the future. Not all Pugs have the soft palate situation that require surgery. I have three Pugs and only one needed hers trimmed back.

Mountain Mom is offline Village Governor

Quote Originally Posted by roccosmama View Post
    When I had Rocco at the vet on Friday the vet mentioned we may need to have this done once he is older...his little nose holes are pretty small. She said not to worry we will just watch it and see how he does as he gets older. WOW Pugs are trickly little guys! I guess this is a quite common thing based on other posts. Great Info!
    Exactly what my vet said about Joy.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast