Bladder stone surgery and incontinence
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bladder stone surgery and incontinence

MamaDee is offline New to the Village

Default Bladder stone surgery and incontinence

Our 4 year old pug had bladder stones removed a month ago. He was really incontinent for a week or so, but gradually got back to almost normal.

But now, if we do not take him out at least every 1 1/2 hours, he will pee in the house--on the floor, bed....wherever he happens to be--even if it's right in front of me. He is a really good dog and has NEVER done this until now.

Please tell me this is still normal and will get better. It's been a month already.

Dee

shaynapug is offline Village Royalty

I have no idea! My thoughts are with you!

Have you asked your vet?
    Diane
    Shayna Pugs
    http://www.midmichiganpugclub.com
    Chairperson of PDCA Rescue Committee

Rugbysmom is offline Village Royalty

Sorry, but he needs to be seen by your vet. Our Pug, Rugby, had surgery to remove a bladder stone a year ago Nov. Ever since, she hardly ever goes potty (once a day, most days!). I was concerned about that, but the vet said she would be more concerned if Rugby suddenly started wanting to go often. This could indicate a bladder infection....is your vet doing monthly urinalysis to check for blood or crystals in the urine? We had to do monthly urinalysis for 7 months, & during this time, Rugby's urine was fine. Then suddenly, crystals were found in her urine again. She has been on antibiotics for a month & a half now--we are hoping to avoid the crystals forming into stones again, & then necessitating surgery again. Rugby is on the special prescription food from the vet, (I even bake her treats out of the canned version--she can't eat anything but that). We also give her only distilled water, & I drench her dry kibble food with water, to encourage her to get more water in. Dogs that have had trouble with crystals before are prone to getting them again, so I would talk to your vet again & make sure he is doing everything & keeping a close eye on the urine. Good luck, & please let us know how your pup does! Rugbysmom

GotPugs is offline Village Senator

I would double check and make sure he doesn't have a urinary track infection and or crystals which can be common after surgery like that.

Tinker's mom is offline Village Royalty

Hi, Tinker has had two bladder surgeries and no incontinence after. The only time she gets frequency is when there is a problem. Please see your vet.Hope it's nothing!

MamaDee is offline New to the Village

She has been on antibiotics for a month & a half now--we are hoping to avoid the crystals forming into stones again, & then necessitating surgery again>>>>

He is still on antibiotics.....do they help the crystals from forming?

Thanks, everyone. I had hoped you would all say that it was normal and to wait it out. Sigh......I will call the vet this morning.

Dee

MuShu Mom is offline Village Royalty

My understanding is that crystals are caused by diet. At least the struvite crystals are. Not sure about oxalate. My MuShu had struvite. My understanding is that if the diet is too acidic it can cause struvite crystals. So you really need to find out what type of crystals were being formed. Then you need to do a lot of research on line about proper diet. Ideally, you will probably need to prepare the food yourself. That is what I had to do with my MuShu. Luckily she has an integrative vet. They are more holistic in their approach and can guide you on proper nutrition. Many PV'rs can also advise you on what to feed and how to feed. There are some excellent "stickys" here on PV for raw diets. My MuShu had to be off of any kibble, (too dry), and was also put on Solid Gold Berry Balance. It has cranberry and blueberry, etc. which are excellent for the bladder. Not sure it is advised for oxalate crystals tho. I think they have more to do with too alkaline a system, not too acidic, like with struvite. Again, you really need to do your own homework. Getting the proper diet may take work and time, but could very well save your puggie's life. Most regular vets just aren't trained in proper nutrition. Mostly just push commercial foods from companies that contribute to vet schools. There are a few good commercial foods out there, but you need to do your homework. Several PV'rs also could recommend some. Prayers going your way. Good luck, and keep us posted.

ON THE EIGHTH DAY, GOD CREATED PUGS !

Hopelessly "Pugged" ,

Cheri

Struvites can also be caused by infection. Some cases no matter what they eat they will still form them because it can also be genetic.

MuShu Mom is offline Village Royalty

Also, you say your puggie has been on antibiotics for a month and a half. I know I am starting to sound like a broken record about this topic, but I care so much for our puggies who rely on us for everything! You need to be giving your puggie a really good probiotic to replace the good bacteria in the digestive tract. Antibiotics kill the good with the bad. If there aren't good bacteria, the food they eat won't be absorbed properly. That will lead to a bunch of other health issues, naturally! Find one that has at least one billion organisms (no less). That has to be refrigerated (to keep the cultures alive). Give an hour or two after giving the antibiotic. You can feed sugar free yogurt but it doesn't really have the amount of cultures you need to really deal with giving antibiotics that long. Yougurt is good as a maintenance type of thing only, in my opinion. I can't use yogurt for my MuShu because she is lactose intolerant. Don't have a specific brand of probiotic to recommend either. It has been years since I had to give her anything and I don't remember. Check on line, at health food stores in the refrigerated section. Although, there is a chewable (you could grind up into a powder) that doesn't need to be refrigerated till it is opened. I just am not that sure the cultures are really still alive. Also, if you can chose one that is encapsulated or in a "pearl" form, it works even better at delivering the cultures alive, past the stomach acid, to the intestines. Even humans need to do this when taking an antibiotic but the doctors and pharmacists rarely tell you to and only tell you it is OK if you ask them about it! Just burns me up!

ON THE EIGHTH DAY, GOD CREATED PUGS !

Hopelessly "Pugged" ,

Cheri

My doctor always reminds me to take a probiotic when on antibiotics. When I remember I take them when I'm not on them as well. I also give some to my puggies.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast