Pug Acne?! or ??
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Pug Acne?! or ??

Booda's Mom is offline Village Puppy

Default Pug Acne?! or ??

My Jazmin, age 4 periodically gets white bumps that looks like zits. I have taken her to the vet and she recommended benzol peroxide pads and that it was Pug Acne - but this time, she has a red bump on her upper lip on the right side right below her nose. Her bottom lip looks a bit raw too, and it makes me think its from new bones I gave the pugs ( section of a raw femur ) you buy at the butcher.. she really was into those bones! far more than the other dogs. Anyway, maybe an allergic reaction or just that time of the month ? Any feedback welcome.
    Thanks! Deborah

Mountain Mom is offline Village Governor

Maybe the grease from the bone? I had a cat with Feline Acne that all the Rx meds and vet treatments wouldn't get under control. I finally tried good old Witch Hazel out of desperation. Within a week it had cleared up completely! I continued using it once a day for about three months and the pimples never came back. They had gotten really bad too, a couple of them infected and seeping.

6 Beautiful Pugs is offline Village Caretaker of the Old & Broken

If she was obsessively chewing her marrow bones, she may have rubbed the skin a bit raw and that allowed a slight infection to set in. Peaches did that once, trying to pry open a Tupperware butter dish:

using the formula you use on nose rolls and ears should help it heal. It has witch hazel in it, which was mentioned before and is very effective. Just wipe it after meals and at bedtime and maybe once or twice during the day.

Some people swear that plastic bowls are the culprits, however I have plastic, metal and ceramic bowls and get no bumps.

Likely she just rubbed the area raw chewing on her bones. Until the marrow is gone, you might want to limit her chew time by crating her and removing her and the bone after half hour or so.

Take care,
    Lisa
    In a gentle way, you can shake the world.

- Mohandas Gandhi

DixiesMom is offline Village Governor

Dixie got little pimples once & there were several suggestions of making sure she only eats from stainless steel or glass (no paper, plastic or styrofoam) but she had an infection at the same time so once she started the antiobios the bumps went away. However, I still observe the stainless, etc., rule.

bnwebm is online now Village Senator

When they hold just about anything against their face for too long, they usually get those bumps. Might be moisture too.

Wow, it looked just like that. She was licking the bone like an ice cream cone to get at the marrow. I was surpirsed she was able to get it all out. She is the one real bone muncher more than the rest. So you are saying I can use the formula of ( vinegar, witchhazel, rubbing alcohol and tea tree oil) on her skin too? Will that irritate and sting? Old Guy with the tongue hanging rubs the underside of his chin raw and its a bit crusty. Use that solution on there too? or only the witch hazel? Thanks, Lisa

I only have stainless bowls, so plastic cant be the culprit.. but definately something to think about.

hugecanoli is offline Village Mayor

Does anyone think that always chewing a bone or rubbing a certain area of the lip would cause it to discolor? Our pug's lip has a bump and has become discolored. Our vet says it's nothing to be concerned about it and to keep an eye on it. Just looking for your input.

Thanks!

bnwebm is online now Village Senator

If your vet has checked it, I wouldn't worry. The way to identify the culprit is to catch the pug in the act of chewing something. If they hold the object in the area that is affected, it's probably a reaction to the constant rubbing and/or moisture. Just keep the face clean so bacteria don't multiply. Oh, and your screenname is interesting and frightening at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by hugecanoli View Post
    Does anyone think that always chewing a bone or rubbing a certain area of the lip would cause it to discolor? Our pug's lip has a bump and has become discolored. Our vet says it's nothing to be concerned about it and to keep an eye on it. Just looking for your input.

Thanks!

ashbee03 is offline Village Governor

hello !
    i have had huge problems with pug acne !
    if it isn't from something rubbing, or from anything mentioned above, try polysporin/neosporin.

I went to my vet and they told me to use human acne medicine on her face !
    Sometimes I don't trust vets, they sometimes want you to just spend spend spend.

Anyways, this is Shylah before and after if this helps at all ! Or looks similar.
    BEFORE

AFTER

It's not totally cleared up, but better than anything else I've gone through.
    mommy to my first furchild ; shylah !

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast