My pug puppy is tilting his head back and looking up a LOT - is this normal?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: My pug puppy is tilting his head back and looking up a LOT - is this normal?

debpod is offline Village Puppy

Default My pug puppy is tilting his head back and looking up a LOT - is this normal?

I'm new posting here, so please humor me because this may be a very stupid question. When he's sitting, when he's sleeping, when he's laying with us, our 14 week old puppy Barkley is very frequently looking up with his head tilted back. I'd say about 25% of the time. He has no problem holding his head normally and going through normal motions, but being a new pug owner, I want to make sure he isn't having any kind of breathing issue or throat related problem. Do other pugs often do this? It sometimes looks like he's staring at the ceiling, but he isn't scared or worried. Just stairs upward a lot. He even falls alseep this way! Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

6 Beautiful Pugs is offline Village Caretaker of the Old & Broken

can you take a video of it? Does he have any breathing difficulties? Does he move and walk smoohly and normally? I uld be more concerned with a neurological problem than breathing.

Take care,
    Lisa
    In a gentle way, you can shake the world.

- Mohandas Gandhi

Thanks for your thoughts, Lisa. My sister is a vet and came over on Saturday to do a checkup and said everything looked good (from what the exam indicated). We tried taking his harness off for a bit to see if he stopped, but he was still looking up even with the harness.

However, this morning, he hasn't really done it yet. My husband is home with him and monitoring the situation. It was just so odd yesterday. Brian thought maybe Barkley was looking up so much to make sure he could see us at all times, but then why would he do it when he's laying with us on the floor at his level? I do have one picture of his laying on the carpet sprawled out with his head up. Could it be linked to being tired? Thanks again!

shaynapug is offline Village Royalty

Could be...could be a little drainage too. Glad your sis came over!! Wish I had a vet in the family!
    taffiecandy and Nurseann7161 like this.
    Diane
    Shayna Pugs
    http://www.midmichiganpugclub.com
    Chairperson of PDCA Rescue Committee

Buddy's Mom is offline Village Admiral

I've seen Oscar and Buddy do that from time to time. They are processing some sort of smell when they do it. For example Buddy loves my lip balm, so I will often kiss him with it on and up his head goes to process.
    Jennifer

Owned by: Buddy 11-22-03 - 4-17-14 RIP My Buddy, Oscar 1-18-09, And Sophie 04-08-10. 3 Fabulous Kitties, Wife to Chris and Mom to Ryan! Emma kitty at the Rainbow Bridge 9-11-02 - 3-11-13.

"The animals of the world exist for their own reasons. They were not made for humans any more than blacks were made for whites or women for men." Alice Walker

"Ever consider what pets must think of us? I mean, here we come back from a grocery store with the most amazing haul - chicken, pork, half a cow. They must think we're the greatest hunters on earth!" ~Anne Tyler

6 Beautiful Pugs is offline Village Caretaker of the Old & Broken

I can't help but think if he's really doing it 25% of the time that it points to a neurological issue of some sort. Unfortunately neurological issues are not cheap and easy to diagnose. Has he ever had xrays?

Take care,
    Lisa
    In a gentle way, you can shake the world.

- Mohandas Gandhi

He hasn't had xrays since he is so young, but if it persists, I can always talk to my sister about it. I found another thread on pugs life with a video of another doing something similar, and a few other owners chimed in on the thread saying their pugs do it too. How odd! I will keep a close eye on it over the next few weeks to see if he does it again, but hopefully not! Thanks again for all the feedback on this, everyone.

Bethy is offline Village Admiral

I've never seen a pug do that for an extended period of time. Like Jennifer said, sometimes they will do that, when trying to catch a smell in the air, but to do it 1/4 of the time that they are awake, seems like it may be something neurological to me, too.
    BETH AND THE JELLYROLL GANG
    www.jellyrollpugs.com

HOME OF:
    Champion Rose's Serendipity
    Champion Jellyroll Sherfame Bre-z Bea
    Champion Bre-z Manor Jellyroll Pogo
    Champion Bre-z Manor's Frozen Assets
    Champion Bre-z Manor Jellyroll Jolly
    Jellyroll Bre-z Sparkle'n'Bling..AKC Major Pointed
    Rose's Licker-ish..AKC Pointed
    Bre-z Jellyroll Ginny Fizz

At the Rainbow Bridge...
    Champion Bre-z Manor Jellyroll Wally
    Jellyroll Sherfame Bre-z Boy, AKC Major Pointed
    Mary Margaret Furperson, our first pug

ImmortalBeloved is offline Village Mayor

How is your puppy doing?

Hi there, I've been so wrapped up in puppy land I haven't gotten online since last week! The good news is, Barkley hasn't done the tilting thing again since last Sunday, phew! Thanks for checking in :) We still think the whole episode was very strange, but he hasn't done it again, even for a second. I wonder if maybe he could have been a little congested from getting used to our house (maybe it is colder or more dry than he's used to)? Here are some recent pictures we've taken. Today the little guy is 15 weeks, 1 day old!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast