Pug nose is very dry and flaky
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pug nose is very dry and flaky

coriforia is offline Village Puppy

Default Pug nose is very dry and flaky

I got Teddy on Friday, he's SO wonderful! The one thing I have noticed is his nose is very dry, and almost appears to be flaking off on the top. I saw online to put vaseline but I see that he licks his nose a lot, so I'm not sure if vaseline would be safe?

6 Beautiful Pugs is offline Village Caretaker of the Old & Broken

Vaseline is safe. Nose balm is used a lot. If he also has goopy eyes, he may have a plugged tear duct.

Take care,
    Lisa
    In a gentle way, you can shake the world.

- Mohandas Gandhi

coriforia is offline Village Puppy

He does actually have goopy eyes! They are very watery. I have a vet appt this upcoming Saturday, so hopefully they will be able to do something if he has a plugged tear duct. I'll be sure to put vaseline on it in the meantime.

Pugpillow is offline Village Royalty

I use Vitamin E instead. Just stick a pin in the end of a Vitamin E capsule and apply gently.
    "You cannot afford to subject your animals, or your children, to medical interventions that you do not understand. The belief system upon which the conventional medical model is founded is so faulty, so corrupt and so dangerous that you simply cannot afford to follow blindly." Catherine O’Driscoll http://www.whale.to/vaccine/driscoll1.html

Hilary & the Pugpillow Gang: Rescues: Denver (10), Tina (7), Murdoch (5) and chihuahua puppy Maximus Spartacus. Always loving my angel-girl Mei-Ling (1994-2009), my cutie-patootie Kim-Soo (1995-2010), my precious Daisy-Bo (1998?-2006), my sweet boyfriend Jake (1997-2010), my little black beauty Betsy (1995-2010), my sweet old grumpy man Gooey (1996-2011), and my sweet gentleman Farnsworth (1998-2012) at the Bridge.

LailaSmith01 is offline New to the Village

I agree vaseline is ok to use on the nose. You might need to clean his nose folds more often. :)
    .................................................. .................................................. ............................
    Dog Crates, Pet Crates. 30% OFF & FREE Shipping on Pet Crates and Dog Crates

GotPugs is offline Village Senator

Olive oil works well too and it's ok if he licks it.

MuShu Mom is offline Village Royalty

Personally, I would not use Vaseline. I think it is petroleum based. Plus, you are only temporarily treating the symptom and not the cause. While I do not know much about plugged tear ducts, I have had experience with the flaky nose thing. My integrative vet said to use 100 % PURE aloe vera gel on the nose for a quick treatment. But to add Omega-3 oil to the diet. You can use a really good supplement daily or she suggested that I could give MuShu half a tin of sardines packed in water (not oil) two times a week. I actually just give her one sardine a day, more like if I was giving her a daily supplement. In about a month or so you should see an improvement in their nose, their formerly rough little paw pads and their skin. But there also might be a fungus problem, not a dry skin problem. Others on this forum can address how to deal with the fungus that can plague our little babies noses and folds. Good luck!

ON THE EIGHTH DAY, GOD CREATED PUGS !

Hopelessly "Pugged" ,

Cheri

6 Beautiful Pugs is offline Village Caretaker of the Old & Broken

The tears wash from the outside corner of the eye to the inside corner where they pass into the nose. If the dog has a plugged tear duct, their eye/eyes can tend to be goopy or they will have a lot of tear staining on the face and their nose can be dry and flaky. A simple quick test the vets use is to first do a tear test to make sure the dog is making enough tears...then if there are sufficient tears, they put a fluorescent dye into the eye(s), wait a few minutes, then use a black light to to look into the nose for dye....no dye, no tears are making it through. There are medications they can use to correct it, and if those don't work there is a quick, simple surgical procedure.

This is the basis for the old wive's tale of a wet nose is healthy for a dog...because the tear ducts often get plugged when a dog has a bad upper respiratory infection and the nose goes dry. Dry nose, sick dog.

Take care,
    Lisa
    In a gentle way, you can shake the world.

- Mohandas Gandhi

+ Reply to Thread