*PU* my pug stinks!! help!!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: *PU* my pug stinks!! help!!

ruby.tuesday is offline New to the Village

Unhappy *PU* my pug stinks!! help!!

Hi!

I have a 5 year old pug.. who is such a cutie, and snugglebug.. but she STINKS!
    I have brought her to the vet who says "it's just b/c she's a pug" The wrinkles etc.. contribute to the smell.

Her breath is horrible, but her teeth are fine. Again, the vet(s) said it's b/c pugs have folds in their mouth. It's not only BAD breath.. it's just horrific. I have tried brushing, drops, breath mints, breath chews, etc and nothing works.

Also her face smells, even after a bath. I am sure to clean her "crack" and her ears and also finish up with antibacterial hand wipes! 2 days later, she's a stinkpot again.

I am so frustrated. She's stinking up the house and my furniture.

1. I've changed her food multiple times, I can't even remember what's in her bin now.
    2. We bathe her every 5 weeks with shampoo for yeasty/skin issues
    3. She's been on anti-fungals with no results.

I use "Zymox" which is used for ears, but I use it on her neck folds (also funky) and it works like a miracle. I just can't smear it on her face and tongue!! lol

any tips would be appreciated!

Thanks!!

KL

CountryPug is offline Village Pug Pony & Penguin Wrangler

First off, I would put her on a food that is grain free, high in protein and low in carbs. You might even try a prepared raw diet with a different protein source than you are currently using. Hoping others will chime in with more suggestions.

Christa, Mom to Toby & Kelsey

missing Riley and Roxy, who are at the bridge
    and my precious Bella 11-2-07 - 05-6-12

Puggered is offline Village Mayor

I agree with Christa, but more importantly I would look for a better vet!
    CountryPug and CSollers like this.

luluthepug is offline Village Governor

Yes, I second the second vet! Are you sure she isn't having a tooth issue? Also - buy the best food you can afford. It does take a while for these changes to come out. I know people use the Nyzymes (sp?) - have you checked that out? And also - does she have deep folds? I know it's been raining and cold here in Mass - and that helps my pugs to stink up the place here too - just the dampness. Maybe you need to bathe her every other week (with a very mild shampoo) and see if that makes a difference. Of course, if the stank is coming from her mouth - then it is either a gut or mouth issue and the bathing will only help her outsides to be sweet smelling.....

Good luck!
    I dip my pen in the blackest ink, because I'm not afraid of falling into my inkpot.
    ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

owned by Walnut and the Baby Buddha aka Wally & Baby
    Penny (big, black, fluffy cat)
    our guardian angel, Lulu,
    and forever young kitties Max, Clara & Bessie

miss_emily is offline Village Mayor

I would go in for a second opinion. There is nothing wrong going to see another vet, especially if you're not happy with the results you are getting from your current vet. I bathe my dogs every couple of weeks, because yes, they get a little stinky and I do a gooooood brush out with the furminator and I try and get as much loose hair as possible (we do a lot of hiking and dog parks too, so they get dirty fairly quickly). You can try using unscented baby wipes in the folds around the face daily to help decrease any excessive amounts of yeast in the skin folds. Is she an excessive chewer or scratcher that could suggest some allergies? Switching her to a high quality,grain free food will help some as well. Get the highest quality you can spend...Wellness Core, Natural balance, Taste of the Wild, Orijen, Innova Evo just to name a few...and honestly some of these foods contain higher k/cals and fat with less fiber, so you don't have to be feeding a ton. Frank Gets Blue Buffalo Longevity Senior and he gets 1/3 of a cup in the morning and 1/4 cup in the evening. One 4 pound bag lasts me like 4-5 weeks or so.
    *Emily*
    Frankie-Pug Mix

Come and visit our blog!

6 Beautiful Pugs is offline Village Caretaker of the Old & Broken

I'm with Christa on the hi-protein, low carb food, preferably raw.

Also, to clean ears, nose roll and other folds I use the following formula:

1/3 c. rubbing alcohol
    1/3 c. witch hazel
    1/3 c. white vinegar
    10 drops (give or take) tea tree oil

mix together and use at least once a week, up to twice a day if they have an infection or are particularly stinky.

How old is your pug? Has he ever had a dental cleaning? If he's older than 2-3 and never had one, I would schedule that in...or at least a good anesthesia free dental along with a short course of clavamox as you could have some periodontal disease brewing. If the odor is coming from the stomach, a raw diet really should clear it up quickly.

Take care,
    Lisa
    In a gentle way, you can shake the world.

- Mohandas Gandhi

Fla. Pugs is offline Village Royalty

My Pug Bugsy had the most horrible breath ever. Everyone loves Bugs but they would always say, he stinks!! His breath would kill you. I changed his food nothing! My Vet said it would be a good idea to get in there and clean his teeth. He had to have three teeth that were rotten in the back removed.
    I would say go to another Vet. Sounds as though something is missing here.
    Linda~ Bugsy Pug, Millie and Captain Jack our Schnauzers.

Miyaghi~my pug angel, July 27, 2005
    Bubba our sweet pug boy, May 18, 2008
    Luke, May 8, 2012

6 Beautiful Pugs is offline Village Caretaker of the Old & Broken

Also, some dogs release their anal glands when anxious...or reall relaxed and that has a definite, strong, rotten fish smel....but it comes from the bum, not the face.

Take care,
    Lisa
    In a gentle way, you can shake the world.

- Mohandas Gandhi

TNPUGMOMOF2 is offline Village Royalty

I have 4 pugs and I only bathe them every few months, maybe. They really don't stink and they are outside often. I would bet if breath is that bad that there is a problem with the teeth. Get a different vet. The whole "pug" thing is crap. If there are skin problems then that can cause odor, but if the dog is healthly and still smells to this extent, then get it checked out by another vet.
    Marci - pugmom to Lola, Bella, Hank & BIG brother Odin the English Mastiff.

shaynapug is offline Village Royalty

Have you had her thyroid checked??????
    Diane
    Shayna Pugs
    http://www.midmichiganpugclub.com
    Chairperson of PDCA Rescue Committee

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast