Pug twitching.. please help :(
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pug twitching.. please help :(

Pace's Owner is offline New to the Village

Unhappy Pug twitching.. please help :(

My 1 and a half year old, male, pug has been waking up in the middle of the night and having a twitching episode. It happen Friday night and last night. It last for about an hour, it is almost like a hiccup within the body, but he is not actually hiccupping (he is awake). His whole body has a twitch, then comes back every minute or so. You can tell he is uncomfortable by this and gets up every time it happens and moves around on the bed. The first time it happen he sought to be away and slept alone on the couch (normally in our bed). Last night, he cuddled in my arms, which he rarely does at night. He also was very lethargic all day yesterday. He has been eating and drinking normal. I have been looking online for info, but have been finding so many different causes. What can this be? We are trying to get a Vet appointment for tomorrow.

shaynapug is online now Village Royalty

I have had dogs get muscle spasms at night......They usually haven't lasted that long...... but I'm sure they are uncomfortable.

It could also be some kind of seizure?????

Wish I could help more!
    Diane
    Shayna Pugs
    http://www.midmichiganpugclub.com
    Chairperson of PDCA Rescue Committee

Wally 'n' Leto is offline Pugzu Guru

Are you sure it's not a hiccup? Wally got hiccups as a puppy, and still does, and he'd be uncomfortable for a long time. It did happen a lot in the night or when he was sleeping (gastric reflux as a trigger maybe). It looked like a human hiccup, kind of a little jump/twitch, and you could barely hear it if you listened really hard. If we put our hand by his back ribs we could feel the diaphragm jumping. I hope that's all it is, and that he's lethargic from having 2 interrupted nights in a row!! I'm glad you're getting to the vet.
    Heather, Mommy to skinkid Toby and furkids Sir Wally of Pugzu and Duke Leto Prancypants the Fragrant.

Also Mom to Just Dakota the Canadian X and Auntie to Radar the Paint; Seed Shoveler Extraordinaire to rescue budgies Spud, Minty, and Wendy.

Main squeeze of high school sweetie Scot.

thank you for the feedback.. we hope its just hiccups. We are very nervous- the vet appointment is first thing tommorrow.

tall grass pugs is offline Village Orb Weaver Advocate

can you capture an episode on camera phone or digital camera for the vet to look at

Tyson&LuLu'sMom is offline Village Senator

My oldest pug, Tyson, had twitching episodes a couple years ago. We had many blood panels run on him with no irregularities. We had a consultation with a veterinary neurologist at a teaching school, and we were days away from scheduling an MRI because no other tests were giving us any answers. He became lethargic and refused food and water, which led to the diagnosis of Canine Addison's Disease. I'm not 100% sure that the two things are related, but here is a video of one of the twitching episodes. YouTube - ‪Tyson 12.18.08 5‬‏ It was almost like an electric shock was going through his body. I recorded every time these episodes happened in a journal.
    If you have any further questions, please send me a PM, as I do not regularly check this forum.

Becky
    Becky

Mom to
    Tyson 4/4/05
    LuLu 2/17/06
    Mac Gotcha Day 7/30/09

Wally 'n' Leto is offline Pugzu Guru

Wow. I didn't know about Addison's... Tyson looks so uncomfortable, poor baby.
    Heather, Mommy to skinkid Toby and furkids Sir Wally of Pugzu and Duke Leto Prancypants the Fragrant.

Also Mom to Just Dakota the Canadian X and Auntie to Radar the Paint; Seed Shoveler Extraordinaire to rescue budgies Spud, Minty, and Wendy.

Main squeeze of high school sweetie Scot.

Krystal is offline Village Governor

Aww I hope Tyson is okay now! Poor baby!

Stalin has twitching in his back legs. This sounds different than what you've got going on, but I'll share it anyway.

One night after work I noticed Stalin's back leg was twitching. Anywhere from seconds to minutes apart. It happens only in the back legs, one at a time (whatever leg he's not putting weight on), and only when he's resting. NOT asleep, but not with his head up either. It's just his laying down relaxed but awake state.

Got him in to the vet and nothing was odd. Had full body xrays and blood panels, all clear. He got Rimadyl for a week, which didn't do anything. Then after the blood work and xrays he got a steroid for a week or so just in case there was some brain swelling going on, although the vet seriously doubted it. The next step would be spinal tap or MRI, and the vet said not to unless things got serious. But he thought Stalin just developed himself a twitch!

It's been 6 months, he still does the leg twitch. No better, no worse, and it doesn't even seem to bother him anymore.

I hope you get some answers from your vet!!
    http://i.imgur.com/SqiL4bLs.jpg
    U-AGII Stalin von Frederic NJP, NAP, CL2, TG1
    UKC High-In-Trial

Default thank you

Thank you all for the info. The vet couldn't tell if anything was wrong yet. He is doing a bunch of bloodwork. Said if comes back normal and pacestill is twitching may need to go to neurologist I will find results tom

GotPugs is offline Village Senator

My girl has had Addison's disease for 8yrs now and I've never seen her have a episode like Tysons. Poor guy I hope he feels better.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast