Baby Aspirin Dosage?
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Baby Aspirin Dosage?

Daisy's Daddy is offline Village VP

Default Baby Aspirin Dosage?

Daisy seems to have injured one of her hind legs tonight. She tried to jump into her daddy's lap, and suddenly yelped, then started limping heavily on one hind leg. Fast forward 30 minutes, she is lightly limping now, panting heavily and is just not herself. Fast forward to an hour, she is lying on the couch next to me and has finally stopped panting, but is very quiet. She already has a vet appointment at 9:00 on Monday morning for an ear infection, so we can have her leg checked at that appointment, but in the meantime, I would like to give her some baby aspirin to alleviate some of the pain and potential stiffness.

Can anyone tell me what a safe dosage of baby aspirin would be for a 25 pound pug?

Thank you so much for any advice.

Daisy and Huckstable
    Loved by Kent and Mary

Buddy's Mom is offline Village Admiral

Make sure that the aspirin is buffered but not enteric coated. I will crush up one low dose 81 mg pill and sprinkle half on Buddy's food in the am and the other half in the pm on days when his arthritis gets really bad. Also make sure it's given with food. It can cause some pretty bad side effects but for the most part if you keep the dose low, give with food and are only doing it for a a short period you should be fine. Hope your baby feels better.
    Jennifer

Owned by: Buddy (The Pug) 11-22-03,Oscar (The Pug) 01-18-09 - And now Sophie (The Girl Pug) 04-08-10 :) 3 Fabulous Kitties, Wife to Chris and Mom to Ryan! Emma kitty at the Rainbow Bridge 9-11-02 - 3-11-13.

"The animals of the world exist for their own reasons. They were not made for humans any more than blacks were made for whites or women for men." Alice Walker

"Ever consider what pets must think of us? I mean, here we come back from a grocery store with the most amazing haul - chicken, pork, half a cow. They must think we're the greatest hunters on earth!" ~Anne Tyler

KismetPuggies is offline Village VP

My vet reccommends baby aspirin.. no coating and chewable. Don't forget, nooooo tylenol as it will kill your dog. You can also give her an adult dosage of Benedryl which will keep her drowsy and not wanting to play as most pugs want to even while in pain.

Please let us know how she does at the vet... poor little girl!
    Kayte and Crew

Kismet Kennels, Exclusively Pugs

Thank you both for the advice. Daisy seems to feel much better this morning, although we will be asking the vet to check her back while she is there this morning. I did end up giving her a baby aspirin yesterday morning (we will be asking the vet about proper dosage while we are there today). Yesterday morning Daisy refused breakfast and when we went back to bed just leaned against me, trembling. After the aspirin, she allowed herself to be hand fed and then carried outside to do her business. After the aspirin took effect, she seemed much more comfortable, if still not herself.

Hopefully it was just a pulled muscle and she will get the all-clear from the vet today.

Daisy and Huckstable
    Loved by Kent and Mary

Wonka & Nilla is offline Village Dancing Jitterpug

Poor baby! Let us know what the vet says.
    Village Moderator

Mom to
    Wonka the Dancing Pug, CGC, W-FD, W-TFD
    and Miss Nilla Sassafras Pug CP (couch potato)

lotusseeds is offline Village Senator

Quote Originally Posted by KismetPuggies View Post
    My vet reccommends baby aspirin.. no coating and chewable. Don't forget, nooooo tylenol as it will kill your dog. You can also give her an adult dosage of Benedryl which will keep her drowsy and not wanting to play as most pugs want to even while in pain.

Please let us know how she does at the vet... poor little girl!
    Thank you for posting this and the benedryl dosage.
    Pam, pugmom to Dumpling and human mother to 3

Daisy is doing much better. The vet thinks she just pulled a muscle in her back and doesn't need any additional treatment. This was very educational for us though.

Interestingly there is lots of conflicting information on the use of baby aspirin from different sources. Our vet told us today that baby aspirin in itself could be used in an emergency, but if we ever do use it, it would exclude surgery for 10 days. So if Daisy has an emergency in the next 10 days and would need surgery, they may refuse to perform the surgery because she had an aspirin.

We now have a prescription for Metacam which we will make sure we always keep on hand in the future. This is a pain reliever/anti-inflamatory medication that is safe for dogs and does not have the blood thinning effects that baby aspirin would.

Daisy and Huckstable
    Loved by Kent and Mary

+ Reply to Thread