Pug in Pain while sleeping
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pug in Pain while sleeping

linzfgv2 is offline New to the Village

Default Pug in Pain while sleeping

Our pug Rocco (8 1/2) has been acting strange since Wednesday.It started out with him following us around the house, just staring at us. He wouldnt sit or lay, just stand as stare at us. Now, he hasnt slept in 4 days, because each time he falls asleep he wakes up screaming in pain. He will sit and lay down now, but he is afraid to lay his head down, (for fear of falling asleep I believe). He was seen by the vet on saturday am, and she could not find anything wrong.Said possibly a muscle sprain. He does not yelp in pain, or guard any areas if they are poked or pushed on. Even if you are pushing rather hard. After he screams in pain, he is also trembling and panting for up to 30 min. He has also started to hide from us, and go to places in our home that he never has (closets, behind furniture). But he is eating and peeing and pooping. What could be causing this??? We are so worried about him. He walks ok, but sometimes looks a little shaky.
    Anyone have any ideas? We will be going back to the vet asap in the morning! Thanks

Rugbysmom is offline Village Royalty

I'm sorry your Rocco is having so much trouble....that sounds scary, and I think you are right to get him right back in to the vet, ASAP. Could be a muscle sprain, like your vet mentioned, but she needs to check it out further. Make sure you tell her all about all those symptoms he is having--the trembling, panting, hiding, etc.... Our 1st Pug had 3 different episodes of fluid in her lungs, (the vet never figured out what caused it). She would sit all hunched-like, & "hide" from us, also...The way she acted, we thought there was something wrong with her neck or back, but each time, it was fluid in her lungs. Rocco is trying to tell you that something is wrong, so your vet needs to check him out thouroughly. We also had an incident with Tawny when she was about 11....we had started out on a driving vacation. Got a couple of hundred miles from home & she suddenly woke up screeching in pain, but she seemed "off balance," etc. also, & her eyes were going back & forth horizontally. We thought she had a stroke or something, so rushed her right to a vet. Turned out her eardrum "went," & she was then permanently affected with Vestibular Disease.

In your case, I'm hoping it turns out to be just a pulled muscle, or something easily treatable. Good luck, & please let us know how Rocco is doing! Sending along hugs & positive thoughts for him!
    Rugbysmom

Rugby DOB: 7/10/02

Molly DOB: 7/6/04

Mopsomaniac is offline Village Mayor

Welcome to you and Rocco. I wish it was under pleasanter circumstances - it is always so awful when our furry friends are sick and we can't ask them what's wrong.

Hope your vet finds the answer tomorrow. Let us know what happens.
    Last edited by Mopsomaniac; 07-17-2011 at 04:24 PM.

linzfgv2 is offline New to the Village

Wow, that's interesting about the fluid in the lungs. I will mention that tomorrow when we are there. Thanks for the good advice and good wishes. I really hope we figure out what is wrong. I just wish he would tell us where it hurts!!!

tall grass pugs is offline Village Orb Weaver Advocate

please ask for a serious look see of spine and neck----pugs tend to jump off things and thud to the ground risking damage to themselves---best of luck, until then, CRATE the animal to limit motion and further injury

evfc is offline Village Governor

Poor guy! Has the vet done xrays? Something definitely seems wrong. Hope you can find an answer soon.

Candice07 is offline Village Governor

Ouch poor baby boy :(
    http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5299/5412861229_3b17d3317d_z.jpg

shaynapug is offline Village Royalty

My friend had a pug that did that...it was a form of a seizure. She was put on meds and was fine!
    Diane
    Shayna Pugs
    http://www.midmichiganpugclub.com
    Chairperson of PDCA Rescue Committee

diesels.mom is offline Village VP

Poor little guy! I wish I had any idea what this could be.. did the vet do x-rays?

Mountain Mom is offline Village Governor

It could also be related to gastric distress that gets worse when he's laying down.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast