Black "scabs" on pugs butt?
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Black "scabs" on pugs butt?

Courtney is offline New to the Village

Default Black "scabs" on pugs butt?

I recently noticed my pug had some black scabs on him butt(and it even goes up to under his tail.) At first, I thought it was dried poop but when I went to wipe it off like I normally did, it flaked and crumbled off and now his butt is swollen and raw and there is this one particular spot that is somewhat big (at least to me it is.) and almost looks like a hemorrhoid. Here lately he's been having pieces of poop I have to clean off of him daily. His stool is normal, it isn't soft and it isn't hard, and there is no sign of blood or any weird color. I don't think it's his anal glands either. He only scoots his butt once in a blue moon. He'll run around in circles trying to get to his butt sometimes, but that's when I'll notice he has poop still on his butt. I tried expressing his anal glands myself but didn't get anything. I know flees leave black, crusty scabs, but we don't have flees.

The only thing that I can think of would be his diet, maybe. I used to have him on Blue Buffalo and we never had any problems with this. I moved around September of last year and ended up switching him to another brand because there wasn't a store around here that sold Blue Buffalo. I don't remember the name of what I was feeding him up until a few months ago. It was the best food they sold at Tom Thumb (I check the labels) but I've been having some money issues here of late and switched him to Purina Little Bites because it's the only cheaper food that doesn't upset his stomach. I recently found a pet shop down the street that sells Blue Buffalo, so we will be switching him back to that ASAP.

What do you guys think? I don't have the money at the moment to take him to a vet. It doesn't seem to bother him much. There are days when it's worse than others. It's just gotten REALLY bad (looks wise) here within the past couple of weeks. Usually if something is bothering him he will walk around with his tail down but he's been keeping his tail up. He's still playful and has his same quirky personality. Is there anything I can do, like put and ointment on it or some baby aspirin? I just put some petroleum jelly on it so it bother him as much.

CountryPug is offline Village Pug Pony & Penguin Wrangler

Sounds to me like he may have an abscessed anal gland, I would get him to the vet asap. See if you can work something out with your vet or borrow money from a friend. If it ruptures, could be very painful and well as messy.

Christa, Mom to Toby & Kelsey

missing Riley and Roxy, who are at the bridge
    and my precious Bella 11-2-07 - 05-6-12

luvbug is offline Village Mayor

We had a recent issue like this with our pug, Bug. I noticed something on her back end one day, and when I went to remove it I found that it was a large scab. It bled profusely when removed.

I took her to my vet and he was concerned. He thought that due to the location it may be an ulcerated tumor. It was small enough that he was able to burn it off in the office. However, if it comes back, we need to do surgery and a biopsy.

I would also recommend that you get him looked at as soon as you can. Then again, I am a worry wart.

Good luck to you and let us know what you find.

shaynapug is offline Village Royalty

I would get him to the vet also. Call the rescue in your area to ask about a vet that is good and might take payments.
    Diane
    Shayna Pugs
    http://www.midmichiganpugclub.com
    Chairperson of PDCA Rescue Committee

danger is offline Village Puppy

good luck!

KismetPuggies is offline Village VP

I'm afraid I also, would be looking at a vet. Small town clinics (not animal hospitals) will often take payments or let you write a post dated check... it can't hurt to call around. Please keep us posted, and welcome to the Village. Best of luck to you both!
    Kayte and Crew

Kismet Kennels, Exclusively Pugs

+ Reply to Thread