My pug is throwing up
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: My pug is throwing up

remymax is offline Village Puppy

Default My pug is throwing up

My nine year old male pug has been throwing up the last couple of days. I spoke with our vet yesterday who told me to give him pepto and small amounts of water. Last night he threw up again. He is acting ok. I'm planning to take him to my vet tomorrow. Should I take him to the emergency vet today?

shaynapug is offline True Village Royalty

Is he keeping food down at all? What is he throwing up? Is he hydrated??
    Diane
    Shayna Pugs
    http://www.midmichiganpugclub.com
    Member of PDCA Rescue Committee

My vet told me not to give him too much water. He wants to drink. He was throwing up food he ate yesterday. He does not throw it up right away. It comes out brown. My vet was concerned because he did not seem to digest his food. he peed and pooped this morning. I give him a table spoon of dog food this morning. He is very hungry.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

shaynapug is offline True Village Royalty

I had a dog that did that years ago. I did have him tested....He had some kind of flap in his stomach....The surgery was a big thing...and I didn't want to do it....So gave him papaya and it helped! He only threw up off and on.

He's 9 tho....so that's not the case!

Only you can tell if your dog needs ER today or can wait til tomorrow. Have you tried a bland diet with him?
    pugspicious likes this.
    Diane
    Shayna Pugs
    http://www.midmichiganpugclub.com
    Member of PDCA Rescue Committee

Snifter is offline Moderator/Village Merchant

I see he pooped but was it normal in amount and consistency?

If he is not pooping properly and is throwing up old food then I would take him to the emergency vet in case of a blockage.

Does his tummy feel hard if you press it gently? If it does he could be in pain. If he is otherwise acting normally it probably can wait until your regular vet opens but you will need to monitor him in case anything changes.

Does he try to re-eat the vomit? If he does then, although it is gross, it is a good sign.

I am not sure why your vet has suggested limiting his water intake; this seems odd to me. Vomiting can cause dehydration and limiting fluid intake would only exacerbate this.

Bella, mummy to Snifter and Toddy!

http://avrilmunson.wordpress.com

his poop looked normal though there was less. My vet told me to give him baby food which I am. He told me not to give him water with his food but limit his water intake to a couple of laps every half hour. He does not try to eat his vomit. It looks like brown water. He is acting normal for him. He is on Metacam but the vet told me to stop it. I gave him some green powder supplement the other day before this started. He doesnt seem to throw up right away. He does it much later and that concerned my vet because his food was still in it and he told me it should have been processed. Any ideas?

Snifter is offline Moderator/Village Merchant

I don't really have anything to add. Food can sit in the stomach for up to 8 hours or so, being broken down by the stomach enzymes, according to some online research I've just done.

Less poop would be understandable if he has vomited up some food.

If he is not at all lethargic and is pottying normally then it probably can wait for him to see your regular vet.

Could the green powder have upset him? I don't know what that is. Could he have got into something else that has upset his tum?

Bella, mummy to Snifter and Toddy!

http://avrilmunson.wordpress.com

pure synergy powder. They say its ok for dogs but it is for humans. I probably should have stuck to his diet. He has alot of issues so playing with his diet is probably not a good idea. I feel bad for him he walks with his tail down. The problem is I'm not sure if I could pay for the emergency vet. I already see 500 to 1000 which I dont have. Like most people I took a big pay cut and I'm just trying to survive. When something like this happens it breaks my heart. Sometimes I feel overwelmd. Sorry for the downer.

Wally 'n' Leto is offline Pugzu Guru

Wally throws up if we give him probiotics or even digestive enzymes. I agree that this could probably wait... I just responded to your Cauda Equina post so now I'd be asking for the vet to look at BOTH situations -- maybe do a physical so see if there's a common thread.
    pugspicious likes this.
    Heather, Mommy to skinkid Toby and furkids Sir Wally of Pugzu and Duke Leto Prancypants the Fragrant.

Also Mom to Archer the Canadian X and Willow the Paint.

Main squeeze of high school sweetie Scot.

mslaurih is offline Village Mayor

Kobe is also 9..he was throwing up off and on for about a month and we couldn't figure it out. Finally, we switched his food. He had been on Nutro Lite Lamb and Rice his whole life. I started researching and realized that we might have purchased a "bad" bag of food. As soon as we switched, the barfing stopped. No more Nutro. We also stopped all doggie treats and wet food..

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast