Pugs and Swimming ?
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pugs and Swimming ?

sugarskullz is offline Village Adornista & SugarSkull Junkie

Default Pugs and Swimming ?

Hi there,
    I did half heartedly do a search, but couldnt really find what I was looking for.
    Are Pugs known for being swimmers or should i keep her away from open water?
    I have been thinking about taking Lola to the beach, but didn't want to look like an overprotective mother, freaking out when she gets too close to the water!
    If she was to run out and charge into the water, should i be concerned and run in after her? LOL
    Just looking for other peoples experience with this.
    Thanks
    **Patrice - owned by Miss Lola Falana & my Buddy, Ozzy**

gemayer is offline Village Admiral

Macie Belle does not swim well but we put a life jacket on her she has gotten now where she waits on the porch to get her jacket on then takes off for the lake. If we take it off she sinks so she does not go near water without her jacket

Wally 'n' Leto is offline Pugzu Guru

A lot of pugs are too heavily boned to float so they do tend to sink. (Some don't and can swim just fine). A life jacket allows them to be in the water (always supervised of course) without worrying about a sudden sinking. Does Lola show interest in the water? Of course, some even with a life jacket won't go in the water for anything!

We do let Wally and Leto go in the water up to the top of their legs without a life jacket, and we keep them on leash on a secure harness.
    Heather, Mommy to skinkid Toby and furkids Sir Wally of Pugzu and Duke Leto Prancypants the Fragrant.

Also Mom to Just Dakota the Canadian X and Dharma the Paint; Seed Shoveler Extraordinaire to rescue budgies Spud, Minty, and Wendy.

Main squeeze of high school sweetie Scot.

sugarskullz is offline Village Adornista & SugarSkull Junkie

I've never taken her to the beach yet as there aren't a lot of beaches around me that allow dogs, but I just recently found one that does, at one section of the beach far away from the general public. Planning on trying it this coming weekend just to see if she shows any interest. I will be very careful and keep her on leash as I dont have a life vest yet (not much point until I know if she's interested or not). Good to know there is a chance that her sturdy little body may not float well!
    **Patrice - owned by Miss Lola Falana & my Buddy, Ozzy**

Hutchebs is offline Village Mayor

Gordie is not a big swimmer. Likes to wade up to hs belly in the lake. His Mom and Sister can doggie paddle a short distance. Remember to dry ears out after a swim. Too much swimming can lead to ear infections.
    Emily
    Mommy to
    DD 14 & DS 11
    Gordie Howe - July 1, 2008
    Hadley Elizabeth- February 19, 2012 :)

pugaddiction is offline Village Admiral

Welcome fellow BC'er. We are from Aldergrove. It is sad that dogs can't go on many of our beaches here isn't it. I assume you are talking about White Rock Beach. There is alot of tide pools around that area that she might try to wade in and would only be knee high for her. I think that as long as she is on a leash she should be fine without a life jacket. Our Zoey does swim, but not very far. Her little legs are too short to keep the stocky body afloat for too long. We watch her like a halk when she is near the water. Have fun at the beach with her.
    GINA

Wonka & Nilla is offline Village Dancing Jitterpug

I have seen some video/pictures of pugs swimming very well, but, in general, most pugs seem to be pretty lousy at swimming. Our two are "sinkers" and immediately start to go under water no matter how much they kick - so, they both wear life jackets around water to keep them safe.
    Village Moderator

Mom to
    Wonka the Dancing Pug, CGC, W-FD, W-TFD
    and Miss Nilla Sassafras Pug CP (couch potato)

Tinker's mom is offline Village Royalty

Tinker swims with me in the pool but when we go to the beach she just runs at the water's edge.If you're not sure I would get her a life jacket. We have one when she's out on the boat with us.
    Jackie,Mom to Robbie & Stacy my human children and Tinker my furkid.

+ Reply to Thread