Help! Pug won't let me put Eye Drops in - Any other suggestions? Saline? Ointment? Whch one?
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Help! Pug won't let me put Eye Drops in - Any other suggestions? Saline? Ointment? Whch one?

ilovepugs1 is offline Village Puppy

Default Help! Pug won't let me put Eye Drops in - Any other suggestions? Saline? Ointment? Whch one?

The inner part of my pug's eyes are reddish. The outer part seems normal. She will not let me put drops in no matter what. She thrashes her head around and it's IMPOSSIBLE. Will saline solution help ? I can take that in a cup and pour it in the eye area from "afar" .
    ALso, is there an over the counter eye ointment (antibiotic) to help clear this up? That is so much easier to apply/safer.

Thank you for any advice!!!!

newpugmomma is offline Village Governor

There is a sticky thread somewhere on here on how to take care of their eyes and folds. It gives step by step directions. Rebbie is very strong and i was worried how he would do...but following those directions, I was able to get them in. you just have to stay calm and convince yourself that you will win... lol

newpugmomma is offline Village Governor

CountryPug is offline Village Pug Pony & Penguin Wrangler

If her eyes are not looking normal, you should take her to the vet to rule out eye problems. You can get Genteal Severe Eye gel and any Walmart type store. It's for people, but is safe to use on dogs. Hold her in your lap, with her back against your chest, lean back a bit so you can see her eye. Hold her with one arm and come from behind with the other and put a little in her eye. My Bella was the absolute worst so I would hold the drops up higher and just do my best aim to get them in. Practice, practice and you will both get better at it.

btw the Genteal drops are a lubricant, not an antibiotic, you need to get those from a vet.....also, if you are using an ointment.....if you warm the tube up in your hand for five minutes of so, much easier to apply that way.
    Last edited by CountryPug; 09-20-2011 at 04:55 PM.

Christa, Mom to Toby & Kelsey

missing Riley and Roxy, who are at the bridge
    and my precious Bella 11-2-07 - 05-6-12

Thanks for the replies. I tried to hold her the other night and she THRASHED her head so hard, you cannot control her at all. She needs 2 strong people when she goes to the groomer for nails. 2!! Strong people! I tried to do it while she was sleeping but she woke up . She is very powerful and you can't hold her. The very first time i did it she cooperated bec she didn't know what it was/etc. That was the only time. She won't allow it now. I need to give her medicine to heal her eyes. I can't pay $100 5x a week to go to the vet to get it done. I was thinking of pouring saline solution from a cup .??

shaynapug is offline Village Royalty

First, she should be checked by a vet to make sure there's no problems and if there are what they are!

If it's an allergy.....there's a special med to put in...that cannot be used with an injury.

To me, gels are harder to put in than drops!

Again......You can wrap your dog in a towel...

I am right handed......I put the dog on my lap against my chest...With my left hand, I grab hold of the skin on the left side of the face and push the head into my body...I use a finger to pull the lower lid down a bit. The right hand holds the meds....my wrist presses on the dog's head.....and a finger holds the upper lid open a bit.
    Diane
    Shayna Pugs
    http://www.midmichiganpugclub.com
    Chairperson of PDCA Rescue Committee

CountryGal is offline Village Admiral

Bo takes two people to hold him. I've tried the towel too. He recently had a yeast infection in his nose roll and ears. Ears were easy peasy. Nose roll--took Paul and I both to accomplish putting in the medicine (from a tube). I finally realized he was afraid of the tube so I put it on my finger (washed hands good before of course) and then gently put it in the nose roll. He was much better. He doesn't like the eye drops either. I use the Genteal Gel. His eyes were checked when he had his nose/ear issue last month but I use the gel just for safe measure.

Pat (CountryGal)
    Mommy to Bo-born 6-15-09
    Forever Mommy to our angel girls:
    Chyna Jade: April 08 2007-June 24 2009
    Jade: November 13 2005-June 28 2007
    You will be forever in my heart.

http://hooterville-holler.blogspot.com

Thanks so much for the replies. The towel sounds like a good idea. Thankfully my DH helped and I took a few slices of cheese and as I was massaging the ear cleaner in her ears she tilted her head up, eyes bulging and he was able to put the eye drops in - THANK GOODNESS!! Anyway, thanks for your help.

Funaek is offline Village Governor

There are so many things that I wish I had another person to help me with. Nails is one of them. Eye drops is another. Sunny is a squirmer too. My best tactic is to surprise her and catch her off guard. I wait until she's distracted, playing with her toy or just having finished a snack, then I pop out with the eye drops, hold her face and tilt her head and drop them in. Usually I'm successful, but sometimes those expensive drops dribble down her cheek. Having a pug requires much stealth and skill. I won't even tell you how I do her butt glands by myself.
    Mother to my <3 pug, Sunny bunny.
    http://bahhumpug.blogspot.com/

+ Reply to Thread