Experience w/ Corn Silk for Incontinence? (vs. Proin/ prescript. meds)
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Experience w/ Corn Silk for Incontinence? (vs. Proin/ prescript. meds)

APugInTheSun is offline New to the Village

Default Experience w/ Corn Silk for Incontinence? (vs. Proin/ prescript. meds)

Hello - I was wondering if anyone has had success or failure with using corn silk to treat urinary incontinence. After treating a few UTIs in a row coupled with bladder stones, we are left with very slight, intermitant incontinence (which may have been happening all along, causing the UTIs, and we didn't notice). The vet has recommended Proin, yet I've read enough serious complaints to want to try natural remedies first. We've done Leaks No More drops with maybe some success, but not enough. We're only 6 days in to PetNaturals Bladder Support but puggie is still leaking just a bit in bed at night/early am. I am now supplementing those tablets with 1/8 tsp of corn silk and plan to start 1x a day then move up to 2x a day to make sure she tolerates it well.

Any experiences or insights appreciated!
    Last edited by APugInTheSun; 01-05-2012 at 02:46 PM.

6 Beautiful Pugs is offline Village Caretaker of the Old & Broken

I have never heard of using corn silk for incontinence. i just looked it up and think I will try it for my "leakers" as well. ifound the following info:

Laboratory analysis reveals high amounts of silicon, potassium, calcium, magnesium, iron and phosphorus minerals in cornsilk. It is also an excellent source of B vitamins an PABA.

Along with chlorophyll, resin and a fixed oil, maizenic acid is the active principle in cornsilk.

Vitamin K is used by the body's mechanism that controls bleeding.

Cornsilk is well established as safe and effective.

Seem like it is safe and certainly can't hurt to try it. I have never used proin or any other meds for incontinence because of potential side effects. The male (neurological issues) wears a belly band with a diaper or human incontinence pad inside when he needs to be leak free, the female (very old, arthritis in spine), we just clean up after her, as diapers have not worked out well for her.

Please let us know how this works out. Several other folks are also dealing with incontinence to one degree or another.

Thanks and take care,
    Lisa
    In a gentle way, you can shake the world.

- Mohandas Gandhi

APugInTheSun is offline New to the Village

Well...I have given the alternatives honest efforts, but as of today, we are on Proin to stop incontinence. Today is day 2. The cornsilk didn't seem to do much. If anything, maybe made the leaking worse (and I was told that it could stimulate the bladder.) I backed off the cornsilk but continued to give Bladder Control tabs. Like the drops, maybe it did some good, not every morning was a wet one, but more often that not, puggie was wet. Also, we did chiropracty, as our vet said that was another alternative. She had 3 adjustments. While it seemed like she needed the adjustments in general, it did not stop the leaking.

I spent the first half of the day with her on my lap yesterday out of fear that something horrible was going to happen but she was fine, just slept as usual. Her 3rd quarter tablet is now down the hatch, and as of this morning she was dry, so we're going to stay the course for now. She is about 16.5 lbs., and getting a quarter of a 50mg tablet 2x a day (roughly 12.5 mg 2x daily).

I personally think keeping her dry is important (vs. daily cleansing, topically medicating, and changing sheets which we have been doing) because of her frequent UTIs and the fact that she has extra hanging skin around her vulva. The doc has recommended episioplasty (trimming off the extra skin hanging over the vulva) a few times now but we are not ready yet, especially because of the winter weather which she is adverse to in general. I think it stands to reason that it is harder to keep her clean and free of bacteria around her folds if she is steadily, frequently leaking. I'm hoping if we control the leaks, we can better control the frequent UTIs and hopefully avoid the surgery and bladder stones again.

6 Beautiful Pugs is offline Village Caretaker of the Old & Broken

After your original post I went out and tried cornsilk as well. Here were my results:

Currently I have two dogs (both pugs) that are urine (and fecal) incontinent.

Bailey is 16-17 and hers seems to be mainly from age. She is a spayed female, in good health for her age with moderate arthritis and mild weakness in her rear end. She takes Denamarin, Meloxicam and Tagamet. She is fed a raw diet. She will wake up having pooped the bed, and sometimes poop just "falls out" as she walks. With urine, she rarely wets the bed, but she will wake, jump up, get about 2-5 feet and then pee as she tries to make it outside.

Dickson is about 10, a neutered male, who has hemivertebrae. As a result, he has ataxia, with significant deficits in the hindquarters for which he has learned to compensate, so mobility is still good - albeit awkward. It is believed he has been this way all of his adult life. His incontinence is a result of the neurological issues. As he walks he leaves a trail of pee (or poop) behind him. He doesn't dribble constantly and is able to empty his bladder completely. He stays dry through the night, but often poops the bed. He is fed a raw diet with the addition of cranberry powder every other day (he has formed struvite crystals in the past). He takes no other meds.

I have not put either dog on any of the various medications used to treat urinary incontinence due to the significant side effects possible with these meds, especially in older (or ancient in Bailey's case) dogs.

Given that cornsilk is inexpensive and has no significant side-effects and no toxicity concerns, I decided to try it just to see for myself. It is available in capsules and powder form at many health food stores. Ideally you want organic, which does not contain any pesticides, etc.

Each dog began receiving one 450 mg. capsule twice daily.

Almost immediately (by the following morning) I noticed a significant difference in Bailey's ability to retain her urine until she gets outside and her ability to start when put outside to go. Bailey's accidents in the house have gone from 3-5 daily down to one every other day or so. No side effects. It has not changed her fecal incontinence (it was not supposed to).

Unfortunately I have not seen any noticeable change with Dickson who's incontinence is from neurological deficits.

My conclusion is that it may be effective for those dogs experiencing age-related incontinence, as an alternative to traditional meds or euthanasia or in those dogs whom traditional meds are contraindicated. It's lack of toxicity and side effects and low cost (I paid $4.75 for a bottle of 100 450mg. capsules from Vitamin Shoppe) make it a no-brainer to at least try.

Larger dogs need more, as do people. Some people recommend starting with a large dose and cutting back until you are at the minimum effective dose for your animal (or for you). My Bailey and Dickson each weight about 16-18 lbs.

I'm sorry it didn't help your baby, but glad the Proin is working for her and is not giving her side effects.

Take care,
    Lisa
    In a gentle way, you can shake the world.

- Mohandas Gandhi

+ Reply to Thread