Fawn pug is turning increasingly black?!?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Fawn pug is turning increasingly black?!?

mss
    mss is offline Village Puppy

Default Fawn pug is turning increasingly black?!?

Hi All!

Our 5-month old fawn pug, Frida, has always had a very black face/ears, a black stripe on her back and a bit of black on her chest, but in the last two weeks her whole coat has gotten a lot darker -- mainly her torso/back. She looks fully brindle now! We have noticed that in the last month she has been shedding a lot more than she did during our first 6 weeks together; is it possible she is shedding her fawn hair and is going to be a nearly-black pug? Anyone ever heard of that? I know her mom is a very pale fawn but I never saw the Dad (nor did I think to ask about his fur color)...maybe he is a black pug? Also, about the shedding, are there periods during the year when they shed more than others...or are we in for this 365 days a year? THANKS!

Spud is offline Village Governor

I'm not sure about the changing colors but pugs Shed and its not going to stop at all. I didn't do much research when I first got my pug, I was like oh its short hair they can't shed to much and there wasn't much shedding until like maybe 6 months old or so and it happened. Thats when I really started looking stuff about the breed and well they shed a lot.

6 Beautiful Pugs is online now Village Caretaker of the Old & Broken

Is it definitely the hair color changing, or is it the skin which may show through the coat and give the appearance that the coat is darkening, especially if the coat is thinning?

Pictures?

Take care,
    Lisa
    In a gentle way, you can shake the world.

- Mohandas Gandhi

sugarskullz is offline Village Adornista & SugarSkull Junkie

Lola, also, is getting alot of dark hairs throughout her coat. Along her back, the backs of her back legs and undercarriage. I was assuming (wrongly?) that it had to do with winter and that it would lighten up again in summer?
    She has had no change in diet at all and the only thing that is different with her is she just had her 1st heat (nobody freak out, she's getting fixed next month). Both her parents are fawns as well.
    **Patrice - owned by Miss Lola Falana & my Buddy, Ozzy**

Hellas is offline Village Admiral

Some pugs have more black hairs mixed into their coat than others. That's normal but not desirable for showing. So she may be turning darker but I have never heard of a fawn pug turning black. I believe that's genetically impossible. Even if the pug has both fawn and black ancestors (as many do), they will turn out either black or fawn. This is what I've read at least. I'm sure somebody can correct me if I'm wrong.
    Proud mama to puggies Winston and Ozzie, Slatan the Cat and Zino the horse.

6 Beautiful Pugs is online now Village Caretaker of the Old & Broken

The puppy coat is not necessarily what the adult coat will look like and dogs with heavy undercoats can look markedly different between winter and summer coats. This may be what you are (both) experiencing. However to rule out metabolic issues that may make the coat appear darker, make sure the skin itself is still pink or pearly white, not black/gray.

Take care,
    Lisa
    Hellas likes this.
    In a gentle way, you can shake the world.

- Mohandas Gandhi

sugarskullz is offline Village Adornista & SugarSkull Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by 6 Beautiful Pugs View Post
    The puppy coat is not necessarily what the adult coat will look like and dogs with heavy undercoats can look markedly different between winter and summer coats. This may be what you are (both) experiencing. However to rule out metabolic issues that may make the coat appear darker, make sure the skin itself is still pink or pearly white, not black/gray.

Take care,
    Lisa
    Definitely not her skin. Dark hairs aplenty! I assumed that it was probably just a winter coat. Her coat actually feels thicker and coarser as well (was much softer when she was younger), as opposed to Ozzy's who is still just a wee one.
    **Patrice - owned by Miss Lola Falana & my Buddy, Ozzy**

Wonka & Nilla is online now Village Dancing Jitterpug

Quote Originally Posted by mss View Post
    Also, about the shedding, are there periods during the year when they shed more than others...or are we in for this 365 days a year?
    In answer to this question.....

Village Moderator

Mom to
    Wonka the Dancing Pug, CGC, W-FD, W-TFD
    and Miss Nilla Sassafras Pug CP (couch potato)

Wally 'n' Leto is offline Pugzu Guru

Oso is just the best, isn't he? At this point we have 3 original Sheldons starring the little guy.

Back on topic -- i have noticed that Leto's hair has also gotten darker with more black mixed in since we've had him. His coat is in better shape, and we figure it's just that his coat was so bad from being starved and it's finally all grown back in.
    Heather, Mommy to skinkid Toby and furkids Sir Wally of Pugzu and Duke Leto Prancypants the Fragrant.

Also Mom to Just Dakota the Canadian X and Dharma the Paint; Seed Shoveler Extraordinaire to rescue budgies Spud, Minty, and Wendy.

Main squeeze of high school sweetie Scot.

frankoliverlucy is offline Village Mayor

Quote Originally Posted by 6 Beautiful Pugs View Post

Take care,
    Lisa

OK I am now confused an worried... What metabolic changes can cause skin darkening? Frank and Lucy both have darker skin, Frank's is actually very mottled or freckled and he has a lot of skin tags, but Piglet is pink.... Our Vet who specializes in Brachiocephalic Breeds has said they are healthy, am I missing something?
    "I love a dog. He does nothing for political reasons." ~ Will Rogers

Katie-
    Mom to Pug Children Frank, Lucy and Piglet, and Human Children Jake, Maddy Jimmy and John

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast