What is this growth on the nose?
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What is this growth on the nose?

ES13Raven is offline New to the Village

Question What is this growth on the nose?

Rocky is about 1 year old now, and lately we have noticed some kind of growth bumps on the top of his nose. The rest of his nose is dark black, but the growth is brownish. When we use a wet wipe on his nose, the moisture turns the growth dark but when it dries out it goes back to brownish.

Could this be warts? Do we need some kind of wart removal product?

6 Beautiful Pugs is offline Village Caretaker of the Old & Broken

It's not a growth, it's excess layers of old skin cells, sometimes mixed with coat oils moisture and dirt/food.

Put a couple drops of any edible oil on it for a few days (coconut oil is a favorite) then when you give him a bath, give it a good scrub with a wet washcloth and it will crumble away. I promise, he may hate it but it won't hurt him.

Take care,
    Lisa
    In a gentle way, you can shake the world.

- Mohandas Gandhi

Hellas is offline Village Admiral

Quote Originally Posted by 6 Beautiful Pugs View Post
    It's not a growth, it's excess layers of old skin cells, sometimes mixed with coat oils moisture and dirt/food.

Put a couple drops of any edible oil on it for a few days (coconut oil is a favorite) then when you give him a bath, give it a good scrub with a wet washcloth and it will crumble away. I promise, he may hate it but it won't hurt him.

Take care,
    Lisa
    Great advice! I've noticed that Winston has a little build up that I want to get rid of. I'll put some oil on it.
    Proud mama to puggies Winston and Ozzie, Slatan the Cat and Zino the horse.

pugtown is offline Village Admiral

Agree! Looks like dry, flakey nose! Some use vaseline, chapstick, udder cream, snout relief?,or coconut oil, olive oil. One of my pugs does not lick the top of his nose so I don't have to worry about him ingesting it! It gets dry and flakey. The other pug I think can lick his own eye balls and get his own eye boogies out!

bnwebm is offline Village Senator

I rub neosporin on Winston's nose nearly every day and it keeps that from reoccurring.

AMC7181 is offline Village Governor

Yep, just a bit of coconut oil or something like Vaseline will soften it right up. After it's softenend, you can wipe it off. And he WILL hate it - be prepared - but know you aren't hurting him by wiping it away.

Pugpillow is offline Village Royalty

The medical term for this condition is nasodigital keratosis and it's no big deal and there is no cure. I treat it with Vitamin E. I prick the end of a capsule, pour it on the nose, wait half an hour and gently rub off with a tissue. The crusties will come off with the oil.
    "You cannot afford to subject your animals, or your children, to medical interventions that you do not understand. The belief system upon which the conventional medical model is founded is so faulty, so corrupt and so dangerous that you simply cannot afford to follow blindly." Catherine O’Driscoll http://www.whale.to/vaccine/driscoll1.html

Hilary & the Pugpillow Gang: Rescues: Denver (10), Tina (7), Murdoch (5) and chihuahua puppy Maximus Spartacus. Always loving my angel-girl Mei-Ling (1994-2009), my cutie-patootie Kim-Soo (1995-2010), my precious Daisy-Bo (1998?-2006), my sweet boyfriend Jake (1997-2010), my little black beauty Betsy (1995-2010), my sweet old grumpy man Gooey (1996-2011), and my sweet gentleman Farnsworth (1998-2012) at the Bridge.

Raynebowpug is offline Village Puppy

Thank you for posting this! I noticed Ellie's nose doing this, and actually had what I thought were pieces of her nose peeling off...and one day I took one off, rubbed it with a baby wipes and it was dirt! I grabbed a warm, damp washcloth and was able to clean the top of her nose! Here I have been freaking out for 2 months wondering why her nose was always peeling LOL The Vet had never mentioned anything about it, and I never remembered to ask.

sugarskullz is offline Village Adornista & SugarSkull Junkie

Funny! I just noticed the same thing on Lola's nose. Strange, cuz I wash her little face after EVERY meal. I guess I don't get the nose as well as I should, because she seems to pull away when I put a put the wipe over her nose briefly. I can get the nose roll really clean, but she doesn't like it when her nostrils gets covered with the wipe, understandably.
    **Patrice - owned by Miss Lola Falana**

+ Reply to Thread