+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree16Likes
  • 7 Post By lbgrrl
  • 6 Post By shaynapug
  • 3 Post By Cheryl7777

Thread: i think my pug is too small

littletornadome is offline New to the Village

Default i think my pug is too small

My beautiful tilly is 8 months old and a firm member of the family but i think she is very small, she measures 12in from neck to base of tail and 11 in height, is it normal, were first time pug owners so dont know if shes correct size, i know a few with pugs and theirs are huge compared to her.

TNPUGMOMOF2 is offline Village Royalty

Unless you are planning to show her or it causes health problems....who cares? They come in all shape and sizes.
    Marci - pugmom to Lola, Bella, Hank & BIG brother Odin the English Mastiff.

littletornadome is offline New to the Village

Im not showing her but we were planning on her having a litter before she is spayed as we feel everything has the right to be a parent once. We cant show her because she has a white paw bless her, just dont want it to affect her heslth at all. she is heavy though.

lbgrrl is offline Village Mayor

Okay, you asked for it... not everything needs or wants to be a parent. She will not be unfulfilled--this is *your* wish, not hers. There are so many unwanted dogs in the world. Are you willing to take in the pups if the new owners can't/don't want to care for them? Can you afford vet bills if something goes wrong? WHy risk her life or health (pugs sometimes need to have C-sections, should the pups have big heads--and you pug is small, so that could happen). I dont get this whole idea that "everything has the right to be a parent". I know a lot of humans that are parents who never should have been one (I am a clinical social worker and I see some terrible things).

shaynapug is online now Village Royalty

I'm going to say some things that you might not like.......

I am a breeder/loving pet owner/ show person

The white feet are recessive gene that is doubled ...maybe tripled up on.....and your girl should not be bred! The purpose of breeding is to better the breed.

If you do a natural breeding, the girl usually cries and tries to get away....While it's fun for the male.....it isn't for the female!!!!!

There are also a LOT of risks when you breed....Pyometria each heat cycle that she is not bred (and she shouldn't be bred til she's at least 18 months old). There are girls that cannot carry babies....and die before giving birth. Many pugs need c sections and there is a risk in that too! Then the worry of mastitis....which is caught early enough isn't hard to cure but is uncomfortable til it is. You can also lose the entire litter of puppies.

You also need to have someone with your girl constantly the week before she is due with maybe 2 hrs at a time away...as many deliver early. 99.9% cannot deliver on their own....many are breach. They do not break the sack so you have to be there right away.....clear them out and cut the cord. Mom's are notorious for stepping, laying, or sitting on pups for the first 2 weeks...so should not be left unsupervised with them. Most first time moms are not good at mothering.....so you have to be there round the clock to make sure all pups are getting enough food. And you often ...even with moms that feed...have to manually stimulate the pup to pee and poop as it cannot go on its own! Often you have to hold the mom down for a while for the pups to eat. The puppies often suck too fast and milk comes out their little noses and you have to be there to clear their airways or they might aspirate their milk. Aspirated pneumonia is deadly and quick.

I hold my breath with every breeding......and every time a heat cycle finished. I show my guys...once neutered or spayed...they cannot go back into the ring!

Once I am done breeding a girl...depending on how she does...1-3 times, she is spayed.....and I breathe a sigh of relief!!!!

My babies are my life..........I don't know that anyone could care for and about their pugs more than I do. My Stormy is at a friends house now for almost a month as she's in season and I have a male here (who happens to be her dad). When I have boys here and a girl is not being bred, they go to my friends house so there is no separation...they remain bed babies....etc. I cannot wait for her to come home. Then will watch her for 8 wks to make sure there's no infection! My dogs don't leave me for any other reason! Once house broken...they become bed babies and are with me whenever I'm home and often when I even run to the store!

You'd be surprised.......mom's don't recognize their kids from any other pug once they're away.......It's not like us humans!

I urge you, if she's part of your family ...don't risk her.....spay her and let her leisurely enjoy life as a family member!
    Last edited by shaynapug; 05-11-2012 at 01:13 PM.
    Diane
    Shayna Pugs
    http://www.midmichiganpugclub.com
    Chairperson of PDCA Rescue Committee

Cheryl7777 is offline Village Admiral

Welcome to Pug Village. There is a tremendous amount of support and knowledge on this board. Your little pug is normal size for her. They do come in all sizes. I have seen some tiny little pugs and I have seen some in excess of 32 pounds. So that being said please, please listen to what Diane is telling you about breeding. She has had years of experience breeding and showing Pugs and she knows what she is talking about. Breeding Pugs is not for armatures or just so your Pug can experience parent hood once in her life. If you truly love your Pug please don't risk her life for any reason. And what of the puppies she might have. Once you give them away or sell them or what ever you are planning to do, you never know if they were taken care of and loved for their whole lives or if they ended up dumped at a kill shelter or just dumped on the street. Not knowing would haunt me forever. Just because someone pays a few hundred dollars for a puppy doesn't mean they will cherish it. Spay your little Pug and be part of the solution instead of part of the problem of unwanted puppies.

+ Reply to Thread