Throwing up after being dewormed
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Throwing up after being dewormed

RaisinThePug is offline Village Mayor

Default Throwing up after being dewormed

Cooper had his first vet visit this morning and he got a dose of dewormer. Pretty standard stuff. No vaccines, just an exam, fecal check and dewormer (strongid). Late this afternoon he started throwing up. He did it several times in a short span and then went to sleep. He got up and had some dinner. He didn't eat it all but that has been normal for him so far. I took him out and he did his business, then ran some puppy pugtonas around the yard. He seems to be alright now. I know our pugs are sensitive to stuff and anything is possible, but I've never had a puppy react to dewormer before and I don't recall ever taking calls from customers concerned about puppies throwing up after dewormer so it makes me wonder.
    Anastasia, mama to Raisin and Cooper the pugs, Milla the cat and Ella the "skin kid."

sugarskullz is online now Village Adornista & SugarSkull Junkie

Weird!!! That is what I have always given all my dogs, including my puppies and have never had a reaction or problem with it. Are you sure it was the de-wormer and not something else?
    **Patrice - owned by Miss Lola Falana & my Buddy, Ozzy**

shaynapug is offline Village Royalty

I think it happens sometimes......I haven't wormed in a long time tho! Have to worm soon as I've started revolution instead of interceptor..........UGH.....

If you're concerned.....and he seems fine now....Just a quick call to the vet on Monday should give you the answer!
    Diane
    Shayna Pugs
    http://www.midmichiganpugclub.com
    Chairperson of PDCA Rescue Committee

I looked it up online since it is the weekend and all. The vet is a friend and I almost sent her a FB message but it didn't feel like an emergency, although I certainly felt bad for him. He seems to be doing fine now. He is sleeping next to me as I write this. I will probably call the office on Monday though to mention it because I think it should be in his chart. They gave me a second dose I am supposed to give in 2 weeks.

I have watched him like a hawk since I. Brought him home and cannot think of anything he has come into contact with that he shouldn't have. And he didn't get any vaccines or other medication today, just the dewormer, which is why I figure it's the culprit.
    Anastasia, mama to Raisin and Cooper the pugs, Milla the cat and Ella the "skin kid."

Pat's Crew is offline Village Question Asker

deworming can give them an upset tummy
    had that happen to a few of my dogs too
    A pugs world is full of play and sleep and of course good food.........

tall grass pugs is offline Village Orb Weaver Advocate

As a rule of thumb, anything out of norm is an emergency for puppies as well as adults. Without anxious parents, pediatricians and vets would have to find another line of work. Perhaps a bland chicken and rice diet for the next few days to settle him.

He is back to his old self this morning. He actually seems to have more energy and is even fiestier than normal. The dewormer must have upset his tummy but it seems to have done him some good as well.

Snifter is offline Moderator/Village Merchant

Snifter threw up after a dewormer once. The vet said it was nothing to worry about and if the vomiting occurred more than 1 hour after the dose then the dose should be effective. Don't worry unless he vomits again or shows any other abnormal signs.

Bella, mummy to Snifter and Toddy!

http://avrilmunson.wordpress.com

+ Reply to Thread