Dental issues
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Dental issues

BunnyG825 is offline New to the Village

Default Dental issues

This is my first post on the forum, so I'll try to be brief. I need input and advice from other pug parents concerning care issues with my vet. A little over a year and a half ago, we rescued our first pug (have had chihuahuas for 30 years). Ruby instantly become the center of our lives...and so very energetic. So much so that we felt getting her a "sister" to play with would be wonderful.

We saw a pug advertised on Craigslist (I know...I know) with a picture of an adorable pug, 2 years old, with a rehoming fee of $150. When we got there, what we saw was a pug with severe skin issues, eaten up with fleas, terrible teeth (and breath), not spayed, very introverted, with severe hip dysplasia (so severe that her back legs virtually cross when she walks) and looking much older than 2 years. Not at all what we wanted or expected. My husband looked at me..I looked back at him...he says "Give her the money, get the dog and get in the car. We can't leave her here." We took her to the vet that afternoon for flea treatment, worming, X-rays of her hips, vaccinations, blood work and Metacam for her hips. At that visit, the vet told us we needed to "start saving our money" for complete hip replacement surgery....$5,000 a leg...total of $10,000. I wanted to cry. But, on a follow up visit with another vet in the practice, we were told that a FHO, costing @ $1,500 per leg, could be all that was needed for Lola. Still a lot of money...but within reach.

Today I dropped Lola off to be spayed and get her teeth cleaned. She's is still in surgery right now. The first vet (total hip replacement) just called me and said that she needed to have 4 regular teeth pulled...but was doing fine so far. She did say that there are issues with 4 canine teeth...periodontal disease, etc...that could cause a jaw infection, etc...but she felt Lola had been under sedation long enough with the spay and cleaning...and that I should make another appointment in a month to 6 weeks to have the canines removed? Was told that removing canines is much more complicated than just removing regular teeth, therefore the necessity for additional surgery.

We've only had Lola for a month, but love her dearly. Her skin and hair are much improved, her personality has changed so much...she runs...plays with our other pug...she just looks happy. I would do anything for my dogs. I'm worried to death about her right now...and I certainly don't want her sedated for any longer than absolutely necessary. But...I'm beginning to wonder if the vet is trying to generate addition revenue...at my expense.

Any input and advice from other pug parents who have been in similar situations would be greatly appreciated.

Chelli is offline Village Mayor

I am not an expert but I don't think that a second opinion is out of line or harmful. If I were looking at the vet bills that you are potentially looking at, I certainly would get one.

By the way, thank you for rescuing that baby.

Tinker's mom is offline Village Royalty

Hello & to the village! A huge thank you for rescuing both girls, especially this one! I find it disturbing that there is such a difference within the same practice. Is it possible to meet with the vets and get this talked out? It doesn't inspire much confidence. If that's not possible then seek a second opinion from a different practice. Prayers your girl has no complications and a speedy recovery! So glad you joined, I think you're both awesome!Please update us when you get her home.
    Jackie,Mom to Robbie & Stacy my human children and Tinker my furkid.

+ Reply to Thread