How often do you usually have to take your pug to the vet? - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: How often do you usually have to take your pug to the vet?

CSollers is offline Village Sugar Daddy

As much as I love the breed and my Pugs, I have to say unless you could afford to drop a couple thousand at any given time you probably shouldn't get a Pug. At the very least you would HAVE to have one insured.
    Pinkles and CountryPug like this.
    Chris, owned by Minni the diva, and "Sugar" Ray the ever hungry.
    Ray has since crossed the bridge but stays forever in my heart. I love you, Boo Boo. Oscar Wilde Thang has joined the family.
    DH to Ellen , DD to Lindsay and Carrie

Nicolaschan is offline New to the Village

Thanks for all the feedback! I guess as cute and lovable as pugs are, It would cost to much. Like I said I don't want to take a pug home knowing if he or she got sick I wouldn't be able to care for them.
    This makes me sad but I know theres another dog out there for me. :(
    Snifter and Angel89411 like this.

CSollers is offline Village Sugar Daddy

I greatly appreciate your research and thought on the subject. If you would have added a Pug to your family and were unable to provide care for him/her, it would be devastatingly painful for you and the Pug.
    SiennasMommy likes this.
    Chris, owned by Minni the diva, and "Sugar" Ray the ever hungry.
    Ray has since crossed the bridge but stays forever in my heart. I love you, Boo Boo. Oscar Wilde Thang has joined the family.
    DH to Ellen , DD to Lindsay and Carrie

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

Angel89411 is offline Village Admiral

It varies. We adopted Clove this past November and she had a genetic condition that was never treated so there was a major surgery and more follow ups right off the bat. With a good diet and proper care, she is very healthy otherwise. Some dogs need more care than others and something can always pop up. It could happen no matter what breed you get.
    Nina_W and wasabimom like this.
    Momma to a zoo. We have a total of 3 dogs, 1 service dog in training, 2 cats, and 2 human children. It's one crazy life.

The key to life is "family and friends. And a good pet. For pure loyalty there is nothing like a pug." - Robin Williams

JoanneN is offline Village Governor

My vet jokes that they will get me my own parking space. I would never not have insurance for a pug. I have had both VPI and Healthy Paws, and I LOVE Healthy Paws! Dora came from a show breeder and she had LP surgery, FHO surgery, and she saw a neurologist regularly for cysts in her spinal fluid. So yes, they are expensive.
    SiennasMommy and Angel89411 like this.

Pinkles is offline Village Senator

double post :)
    Last edited by Pinkles; 03-18-2014 at 09:10 AM.
    ....... Maisie ............... Squig................. Pickle .............. Henry
    .(at Rainbow Bridge)

Pinkles is offline Village Senator

I echo what everyone else has said. Pugs are so different:

Maisie died suddenly age 2 and cost £2000 in vet fees, until then she had had no illness at all
    Squig, 8 years old, has a chronic skin condition and eye problems... ongoing (for the rest of his life) Optimune is almost £50 for a 3.5g tube he needs it daily + costs involved in trying different solutions for his skin problems. He also recently had a tumour removed from his tail costing £4000+
    Pickle is 4 years old and has only ever needed her yearly booster and check up despite eating anything she can fit into her mouth and hurling herself off the back of the chair several times a day! lol

So as you can see, every pug.. indeed every dog is different and Pug or not, you may have an ill dog or you may have a healthy dog, you can't ever know until it happens, so I would say be prepared :) Good luck with whatever you decide!
    Angel89411 likes this.
    ....... Maisie ............... Squig................. Pickle .............. Henry
    .(at Rainbow Bridge)

SiennasMommy is offline Village Royalty

I would get insurance, especially before they develop "pre-existing conditions". It should be relatively inexpensive for a puppy or a young dog. We have "Healthy Paws."

At minimum - monthly heartworm pill and monthly anti-flea meds (except in winter).

Ten to one, your pug may develop PK. The cost of Sienna's monthly PK eye drop is $50.
    Last edited by SiennasMommy; 03-18-2014 at 11:11 AM.
    Sienna Foo Ming Geeting
    May 30, 2006 ~ January 11, 2021
    You will always always always be number one in my heart.
    I love you baby girl.

pugtown is offline Village Admiral

For my healthy pugs, I only go at least once a year for a check up and blood tests. Maybe repeat a urine test for pH and crystals in 6 months if needed. But I didn't know about keeping a pug healthy till the past few years. The money I don't spend at the vet goes towards natural foods, supplements and other products!!
    Nina_W likes this.

jaygee is offline Village Puppy

I, so far, appear to be a little unlucky with Bella. She has been to the vet on quite a few occasions. Worst was an operation for removing a peach stone that was stuck in her intestines! I think she swallowed this before I adopted her - but of course the huge vet's bill was all mine!
    At the moment, she is being treated for allergies - no idea what she had a reaction to, but she still has a very pink tummy.... no hives though. She will go back to the vet on Thursday.
    I also believe it is 'the luck of the draw' when it comes to health issues .... my previous dogs never had problems... little Bella is making up for them... but I love her.........

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12