Severe allergies
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Severe allergies

Tootsiesmama is offline New to the Village

Default Severe allergies

Hello

I am new to this site and forum. I have a 7 year old pug named Tootsie and she has chronic allergies. I've made so many vet trips and have given her antibiotics and steroids and prescription food. Have also tried duck,chicken,salmon,turkey food plus a few others I can't remember. She gets awful ear infections and also welts in her wrinkle above her nose. I also give her Zyrtec and Benadryl as prescribed by the vet.

I feel like I have tried so many things and she keeps getting these awful allergies. I am not sure what to do at this point. She is also extremely anxious which makes it hard to bring her into the vet, they usually have to sedate her. Does anyone have a pug with terrible allergies that have tried other things and have seen results? Any advice is welcome and appreciated.

Rugbysmom is offline Village Royalty

Hi & I'm sorry you are having so many problems with allergies, but you have come to the right place! I don't really have experience with allergies like that, but there are many others on here who do, so I'm sure they will be along soon to try & help. Lisa (6 Beautiful Pugs) is especially knowledgeable, and experienced with all kinds of allergies, etc, & you can trust her to do her best to help.

I'm glad you found us, & I hope you be able to find some solutions that work for your girl! We'd love to see a picture of her!
    babyroni likes this.
    Rugbysmom

Rugby 7/10/02 - 9/28/15 Miss you, little girl! You're always in my heart!

Molly DOB: 7/6/04

homer.thepug is offline Village Mayor

i heard rabbit and kangaroo are good for allergic prone pup? im not expert here, but maybe you could try?
    Since homer is allergic to chicken, we switch between beef and kangaroo. We use premade raw

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

babyroni is offline Village Royalty

Hi and welcome! I don't have any advice, just wanted to wish the best for Tootsie.

Thanks guys

I'm glad I found found this site as well. Nice to be around other pug lovers. Kangaroo is one we have not tried yet, she even went vegetarian for a while and that did work for a few months but it stopped. Trying to at least help the symptoms right now she's just so itchy. I would love to post post a picture just as soon as I figure out how

SiennasMommy is offline Village Royalty

Allergies are a NIGHTMARE! We're battling that now. Sienna has digestive issues AND allergies. So now that we have her digestive issues under control, we have to find out what she's allergic to. I've discovered Sienna is highly allergic to salmon and just this past week I think she's allergic to beef as well. This past week, she's had itch fests during the night - constant scratching. I feel so bad for her...it's gotta be miserable!

If you want, you can spend ~$300 to have an allergy test done at the vet. Or you can do a process of elimination.

I would try one food and keep her on that - do not switch flavours (chicken to beef, etc). It should take a week and you should see the itching start to die down a bit. Keep the food a simple one that does not have a multitude of ingredients. Sienna was on a food from the vet a few days ago (no beef) and then I gave her a chicken dinner food. The next day I gave her beef and that evening, she was having her nightly itch fests. So that's how I discovered she is allergic to beef.
    Sienna Foo Ming Geeting
    May 30, 2006 ~ January 11, 2021
    You will always always always be number one in my heart.
    I love you baby girl.

jaygee is offline Village Puppy

Hello All
    Bella is showing signs of having an allergic reaction to something...... in her case, not itchy but sneezing and wheezing
    She did have a minor upper respiratory infection but that was treated with antibiotics and seems to be clear now.
    Not once has she gone off her food... but she is very lethargic and not a happy little pug
    Is it possible she is allergic to grass/pollen.... like humans?
    We have had a lot of rain lately and the grass everywhere is overgrown and very damp..................any ideas??

Luckily it is not her food this time! but it was one of her favorite treats, baked sweet potato chews. Two days with not giving her any she's almost stopped itching. Glad it was a some what easy fix this time. Thanks everyone for the help
    Wonka & Nilla likes this.

She may have enviornmental allergies. My tootsie has food and environment and it can be a pain in he butt. My tv old me dogs an b allergic to pollen and things just like people. Also said you can use Zyrtec for when it acts up. For tootsie she said just a 10mg OTC and that works great when she's sneezy and watery eyed. Also said 1mg of Benadryl per pound,I use them when the allergies get really bad.

ODemPugz is offline Village VP

My little one - Peekachoo - has some form of allergy as well. Thankfully, switching to grain free helped tremendously but she still gets inflamed red skin between her paw pads. I then switched to a food with no chicken...not much difference there. I manage it with clorohexidine wipes and application of Ottomax via Q-Tips but this is just managing it. She has her luxating patella surgery looming on the 6th of Jan so to be honest, the allergies are the least of my worries! I guess I'll have a go at the allergy tests once she's feeling back to herself from surgery. God I'm soooo anxious I could jump out of my skin!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast