Reoccuring Bladder Infections - HELP!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reoccuring Bladder Infections - HELP!

MaddiethePug is offline Village Puppy

Default Reoccuring Bladder Infections - HELP!

Hello...I'm reaching out to any fellow Pug parents that may have experience in frequent and reoccuring bladder infections. My Maddie has been suffering for 3 years with stones, crystals and infections. About a year ago we finally got the stones and crystals under control but the infections just won't quit! E Coli is the most prominent bacteria that shows up on the cultures but after several treatments of Baytril, the bacteria is now resistant. She has yet another type of bacteria (pseudomonis - sp) which the Baytril IS senstive to but again, the E Coli is a problem. My vet has suggested a combo of Baytril and Macrodantin to kick both types of bacteria but she said Macro can cause liver damage and she would need to monitor her blood every 2 or so weeks. The only alternative option she suggested is a daily injectable called Naxel (sp). I cannot even begin to imagine sticking her with a needle everyday!!! Needless to say I am frustrated and discouraged. Any suggestions, opinions or help is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

FourteenLegs is offline Village Diva

I am going through this RIGHT NOW! My LouLou, 14 y.o., has recurring UTI's due to her inability to completely empty her bladder. I have given her 2 courses of injections, the first one was just under the skin, very easy to do, and just for 5 days. Yes, there can be problems with side effects, but that's why the course of shots are only for 5 days. LouLou had no side effects. She has recently had another UTI, and this course of injections had to be given intraveneously, which I was much more worried about administering. The vet inserted a catheter into her leg, which made it much easier, and I followed each shot with a shot of heparinised saline to stop clots. It was fiddly, but not difficult. LouLou is also taking a long course of meds orally to deliver the final blow to the bug. Some dogs are just susceptable to UTI's. My other pug, Puck, had quite a few around teh same age as your Maddie, for no reason we could find. She seemed to grow out of them, and hasn't had one in years, TOUCH WOOD!! Hope this helps you.
    Check out the PugVillage Books - buy one from HERE and help rescue.

Rona and the Principessas Imogen and Pearl. Holding in our hearts forever LouLou and Puck who have been reunited at the Bridge.
    All my babies at the Bridge - LouLou, Puck, Piaff, Donato, Persia, Dragon, Smugs, (Pugs) and Madam and her son Woolfie (horses).

ViralMD is offline None

Your vet needs to do another susceptibility panel for the E. coli. There is likely something besides macrodantin that can be used for that Gram negative rod. Regarding the Pseudomonas, the Baytril should be fine. There are some second and third generation cephalosporins that should take care of the E. coli and if, like Rona's vet, your vet is willing to send your puggie home with a heparin locked IV catheter in place (not really a big deal) you can either administer this yourself, or take her to the vet for infusions. But it's all better than macrodantin. And cephalosporins, like the other extended spectrum antibiotics in this family has the advantage of being excreted unchanged through the kidneys (and into the urine).

You need to be absolutely METICULOUS about keeping your puggie on her special diet for stones/crystals. ANY deviation will be likely to cause crystal formation, and crystals form a nucleus on which bacteria can sit.
    Viralmd, Cyril (aka Aljac Captain Hook CGC) and Tassie, the rescue chihuahua

First and foremost a HUGE thanks to both of you for your thoughts and feedback. So it sounds like you both think the Macro should be a last resort. Correct me if I misunderstood. Viralmd -- the only other med that I believe would be sensitive is Clavamox which Maddie is allergic to (she broke out in a skin rash/open sores) when she was put on it once. As for the diet, my vet took her off the C/D and S/D and has her on W/D which I believe is just to control weight. I questioned her on it and she said that since no crystals are present she doesn't need to be on either of those diets. Sounds like you disagree? Her last test was 1 mo ago, maybe I should take her back in for a urinanalysis and culture before starting on any new course of meds?

DantePugs is offline Founding Member

I went through this with CoCo...2 years worth of recurring E-coli which were held in check by Clavamox until the infection became resistant. None of the other meds we used, and I don't recall the names of any, helped...

As a last resort we did those subcutaneous (Viral, correct me if I'm wrong!) injections like Rona mentioned which were a mix of saline I guess, and an anti-biotic. I'd need to find out what anti-biotic it was as I don't recall off hand.

Miraculously, it worked....knock wood. After two long years. For info sake, if you're interested, I'll try and post what the meds were tomorrow.

Hang in there, this can be overcome!
    DantePugs

ViralMD is offline None

OK, you didn't say that she's penicillin allergic...that changes things. That means she can't get cephalosporins, either, since they're related to penicillin...HOWEVER: once a dog has crystals it ALWAYS will develop crystals UNLESS the dog is kept on the restricted diet. Crystals are caused by an inborn error of metabolism that does NOT resolve. It's good that you don't see crystals, but that doesn't mean you can stop the restrictions on food!

Now, about the antibiotics: if she's still on Baytril for the Pseudomonas, then doing a culture now is useless. But, if she's completed her course, in a few days you can do another culture for the E. coli with its antibiotic susceptibilities (we call this a 'C&S' (culture and sensitivity)). If the vet is concerned that the E. coli is still causing problems she might want to call the lab, ask them if they still have the plate and if they do, then do an extended susceptibility panel. If they don't have the plate, then you'd have to go on what you got from the first culture for antibiotics - or take a shot in the dark, using a very broad spectrum antibiotic NOT closely related to the penicillins - something like gentamicin or tobramycin that are infused by IV (she might have an indwelling intravenous catheter with a heparin lock, but Rona was able to manage this just fine). Or try something like aztreonam...you need something for Gram negative rods....

Lemon is offline Village Admiral

Maddie's mom, I don't have any wisdom to add to the great advice you're getting. I just wanted to say I'll be thinking about your little girl. I hope you can get things cleared up.

Viralmd, I'm curious about your thoughts on crystals. Are you saying that unless they're kept on the dissolution diet for life, the crystals will always recur? That's a disheartening thought. We kept Lemon on it for two months, but she's remained clear ever since. I'm hoping the vitamin C is really doing its job.
    Kathleen (and Lemon, too!)

©Amanda Jones Photography

ViralMD is offline None

Kathleen, the point is that you're acidifying the urine - if you stopped, they crystals would recur!!!

Almandine is offline Village Healing Hands

I am glad you have had such good feedback! I don't have any pearls of wisdom to add really, just some encouragement and good wishes.

Would it be worth asking your vet about a cranberry suppliment? It seemed to help when Treacle had a UTI. Obviously it is no substitute for vet meds, but it might just help to keep her bladder infection free.

As a strictly non medical person, I was absolutely dreading giving Samson injections. It made me feel quite ill. But it is surprising how quickly you get used to it if you have to. It's just getting over the first one or two. After that you'll be fine!
    Last edited by Almandine; 07-21-2005 at 06:57 AM.
    Almandine and the gang - George, Dannika, Darwishi (Wish) and Pickle.... and who knows.... maybe a new little boy too...

Samson, Treacle, Maisie and the beautiful Onion at the Bridge. In our hearts forever.

Thank you once again to everyone for your thoughts and support! Viralmd -- you seem to have better advice than my vet!!! When you say penicillin allergic do you mean Clavamox? Is that a type of penicillin??? If so then yes she is allergic. She broke out in open skin sores and they healed up when we stopped the med. What are cephalosporins??? Again, my vets recommendation is a combo of Baytril for the pseudomonis and Macrodantin for the E Coli OR Naxcel for both bacterias. Maddie has been on Baytril several times for E Coli but she is not currently on anything. My vet explains that the C&S test shows that the E Coli is resistant to the Baytril b/c she's been on it so many times. I hope that makes sense. Again she claims that the 3 meds I mentioned above are the only ones that these bacterias show sensitivity to. I will however tell her that I would like her to be put back on the C/D diet. Do you think I should still supplement with ammonium, Vitamin C, cranberry or tomato juice?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast