my poor itchy pug!! suggestions?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: my poor itchy pug!! suggestions?

msuspartangirl is offline Village VP

Default my poor itchy pug!! suggestions?

well gracie has been back and forth to the vet 3 times now about this itching. we first thought she got poison ivy and was given steroids for that. i came back again after the steroids ran out and she was still itching. the vet said it could just be dry skin or allergies, as she's seen 100 dogs in for the same problem. she gave me some anti itch shampoo for dry skin which i used. now gracie has been rocking back and forth VIOLENTLY trying to reach her back... again to the vet, we checked her anal glands, checked for bacteria in her girl parts, and checked for fleas, and walked away with all looking ok, and given antibiotics in case there is some bacteria growing somewhere. she is STILL trying to scratch her back and tail and back feet and goes into strange pug ecstasy when we scratch her back. soooo.... LONG POST SHORT.... my boyfriend and i saw a single flea on her the other day.... GREAT. so we got the comb out and bought flea shampoo. could not find a single flea with the comb nor any sign of them. NOTHING IS WORKING and my poor little girl is so uncomfortable! she's on frontline too... i don't get it. any remedies for this? the poor thing!
    Cathy, mom to Gracie and Abbey

crazypugmom is offline Village Admiral

I can't remember if anyone suggested this to you or not. There is a slight chance that she could have the sarcoptic mange. Many, many times the vets misdiagnose it because it is extremely hard to see the mites. One of my fosters was suspected of having it so even though no mites were found, he was started on shots of ivermectin. The vet recommended 4 shots to be given every two weeks. Before we tried the shots, I was giving him benedryl then steroids. Steroids can actually make it worse if it is sarcoptic mange. After the first shot, I began to see an improvement within a couple of days. By the second shot, he was almost not itching at all.

That type of mange is contagious to humans and other pets, but I never had any problems with it. My boys did start to itch towards their back ends so my vet told me to use Revolution for two months in a row instead of my regular heartworm meds.

It might be worth a try since nothing else has seemed to help
    Leslye, Chyna, Tinker, Ruffy and husband Tim &
    our angels Pugsly and Taz waiting for us in heaven

Northern Illinois Pug Rescue & Adoption

www.northernillinoispugrescue.org

http://www.dogster.com/family/766626

hmmm.... i've not been told about this- thanks!! i did some reading up on it and it sounds like it typically affects the face and ears. gracie's been pretty much concentrating on her back, tail and hind legs. though, it may be just affecting her there for now. i may have to take her back to the vet AGAIN.

crazypugmom is offline Village Admiral

Cathy,

My foster itched the most on his back end,legs and belly.
    Leslye, Chyna, Tinker, Ruffy and husband Tim &
    our angels Pugsly and Taz waiting for us in heaven

Northern Illinois Pug Rescue & Adoption

www.northernillinoispugrescue.org

http://www.dogster.com/family/766626

lashwish is offline Village Admiral

Kramer has the same itchy hips & does the same thing when you scratch him back there.

He was just at the vet & she said if its allergies, its itchy eyes, face & paws. She said its usually fleas if its the back side.

That didnt really help me as I also have Oscar (another pug) & a kitty & neither of them itch. You can't tell me that 1 of my dogs has fleas & none of my other animals do, right?!

I'm still convinced it was a reaction to vaccinations & now its just a habit. He used to have scabs on both hips which have been gone for awhile now, but he still bites back there.

If its sarcoptic mange, can you feel anything on their skin?

Do you feel anything on Gracie's skin?
    Mindy

Momma to Oscar & Kramer

ok, i was practically in tears last night. gracie was spinning and biting and wildly scratching badly last night. i got out the flea comb again being sure i'd find SOMETHING. nothing. no fleas. i combed and combed. no black specks either. i did notice that at the base of her tail there was dry flaky skin. i'm wondering if that's where it's bothering her and she's just biting at her feet and legs in attempt to reach there? her hind leg at the joint was also very irritated and a little bloody because she was biting at it. i'm so sad that she's suffering!!! i put some lotion on her tail hoping it might soothe the itch. i don't see anything on her skin like bumps or bites. i'm stumped!! i'm taking her to the vet tonight after work. i can't bear to see her so miserable!

Lynxa is offline Village Admiral
    The Post Katrina Big Easy, not quite as big but still just as easy!

What kind of food do you have her on? She might have a food allergy that's causing her to have dry, itchy skin.

Ozzy has some itchy butt-dandruff, so I use a medicated shampoo and wash him once a week. He always feels SO much better after a bath.

Poor baby! I hope he gets better, it's so hard to watch them feel bad.
    Courtney: Mommy to the precious Ozzy, Angel, the Ironically Named Kitty, Gally the big little sister, and Percy the Naked Pug-Kitty!

Milosmom is offline Village Royalty

You're poor baby. It's so hard to see them suffering, especially since they cant say what is wrong.

The one time we had a problem with Milo, he got a head to toe rash and we couldn't figure out why. After thinking about anything new or different places he had been , we realized we had taken him to the park for a walk on the same evening the park keepers had mowed the grass. He had an allergic reaction to a weed apparently. Off to the vet and he got a shot and I gave him baths in an oatmeal based shampoo. 3 - 4 days later he was just like his old self again. The vet told me that the oatmeal helps relieve the itching.
    Sarah
    ~*Mickey, Milo & Dragos Mom*~
    Always missing *^Remi Pug^ & ^Loli Pom^*

EZDave is offline None

It's very possible that it's related to the weather/seasons.
    About twice a year three of mine get so itchy on thier back sides that I usually just shave them to thier upper hips. It's not a pretty sight but, they sure do appear to be more comfortable and it stops the itching.
    I have a couple that blow thier coats around the same time of year and that's already happening here so the itching should follow anyday now.

Edit: just to add. I'm not suggesting that you shave your pugs.
    I just wanted you to know that your not the
    only one that keeps looking for the flea thats just not there
    Last edited by EZDave; 09-14-2005 at 11:13 AM.
    Albert Schweitzer ______________________________________
    For to him that is joined to all the living there is hope:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

soniebluvspugs is offline Village VP

Did your vet suggest giving benadryl (Diphenhydramine HCl) at all? We have used it in the past with both Emma and our dachshund Zeus at our vet's recommendation and it is good to have around in your puggy first aid kit. I believe it is 1 mg/per lb of body weight of benadryl. I would call your vet and see if this is an option for Gracie.
    Sonia-owned by Miss Emma, Zeus the doxie,Little Miss Lizzie and sweet Judge the rescue puggies.

Emma: http://www.dogster.com/dogs/202344
    Lizzie: http://www.dogster.com/dogs/204243
    Judge: http://www.dogster.com/dogs/544906
    Zeus: http://www.dogster.com/dogs/204246

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast