How do you know if tooth issue?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: How do you know if tooth issue?

Bustersmom is offline Village Mayor

DefaultHow do you know if tooth issue?

Have not been around lately but today I knew I had to ask the question here! I took my 10yr old Pug Petey in for annual checkup and misc shots -was going to talk to vet about how quiet and different Petey has been lately, like depressed but not sure how to explain. She came in and said immediately-"why so sad" I said exactly! So she asked the normal questions and no big stand out issues so started the exam head to toe-opened his mouth and he is very easy going can do almost anything to him but on upper left she thought she saw something-tried again and he was really upset! I held and she looked. She thinks maybe a bad tooth but as she said so hard to be sure unless exray and so forth-so of course that means anesthesia and I am so scared about that-had a terrible experience many years ago with a beloved cat so have tried to avoid unless medical emergency. That being said, does anyone have experience in this? He seems to eat fine and enjoys chewies although those will stop for now. I hate to risk the anesthesia if not necessary and as she says impossible to know unless they do this. Any thoughts are so welcome and appreciated! I should add the exam showed nothing else-I did ask that full blood work be done to rule out anything else that may be at play here.

Bugoneal is offline Village Royalty

'I thought I saw something' is usually doctor speak for 'I really need to know how bad this is before I make a recommendation.' I know the anesthesia is scary, scary, but I would do it especially if the blood panel shows any type of infection going on - you know high white blood count and such. Positive thoughts heading your way to help you make the hard decision.
    ~~mary - loved by Colbie the Viszula Pug, plus many featherpugs! Remembering our heart dogs Bug and Sugar at the Rainbow Bridge with Sissy the Chihuahua Pug.

Snifter is offline Moderator/Village Merchant

Both of mine had dentals last year. Snifter was 10, Toddy 7. They both had a lot of teeth pulled. Snifter had been fairly quiet for a long, long time prior. I am talking a couple of years. I put it down to his age. After his dental and recovery time (a couple of days) he had a new lease of life and has been very puppy-ish at times. Not always, he is a senior dog, but the difference after the dental made me think that he may have had some low grade pain going on for quite a while. Nothing obvious or he would have had the dental earlier, and nothing that stopped him eating or chewing with gusto.

Once you have ruled out other things I would personally go for the dental. There are risks, of course, but if he's in good shape these really should be minimal.
    Lu Ci and Ri Ki likes this.

Bella, mummy to Snifter and Toddy!

http://avrilmunson.wordpress.com

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

Thank you so very much! I am going forward with the dental asap. I appreciate the info and it did make me feel better-hoping for a new lease as well!! Again many many thanks!!

I think you are right-they do not want to recommend this procedure due to some risk and $$ since they are not sure but it certainly worth it at this point!! Many thanks!!

sugarskullz is offline Village Adornista & SugarSkull Junkie

Sending positive vibes and seeing a great outcome with the dental.
    **Patrice - owned by Miss Lola Falana**

Thanks!!

What was the after treatment? Could they have regular food (mine have a prescription diet which is hard kibble) or did you have to switch to something else for a bit? The blood work came back 100% ok so I am now on the calendar for dental etc on Sept 8th. I am hoping the outcome is similar to yours but of course every circumstance is different, should it turn out like yours did, awesome, should they find no issues, well I have ruled that out along with blood work.

Mom to Lucy is offline Village Admiral

After both of ours had dentals with multiple teeth pulled, we just flooded their kibble with warm water to soften it a bit (not that they really chew it). I think we did it for about a week. They both liked having the "gravy" with their dinner, so we still do it on occasion, just for a change up.
    Christine
    Owned by Lucy and Bugsy the pugs, mom to one human child, wife to a wonderful hubby, and entertained by a tank full of fishies.

Oh that makes sense! Good idea! The blood work came back yesterday 100% ok so I made the appt for dental work Sept 8th. Thanks for all the great info! I will be sure and let everyone know how it turns out. Interesting-I have not done the dental in over 12 yrs -for some personal reasons that go back that far-so when I set this up my vet office said vet will prepare an estimate and we will let you know-so they called and gave me the range-gulp- and I have to go there and sign in person that I agree and so forth. I think this must people saying no one told them the $$$ or not paying? Anyway while kind of a pain, I can appreciate!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast